The state of College Football

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Very good read. People have been predicting this for a few years now. All ADs are getting way too money hungry. It really hit home when they talked about letting TV dictate what time you play. We have a bunch of 11 AMs on our horizon because we are letting ESPN/Fox pick our gametime. I know ISU is getting big money for this but most fans, myself included, hate 11 AM kickoffs. ISU has just about no say in game times (except to win more) but I just hope ISU doesn't fall into trap many schools got themselves into and that is ******* off the fans to make an extra buck on everything else.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
This was a good read, but we are not Michigan. While fan attendance drops across the nation, ours is rising under what some would call lackluster performance. I think it really comes down to the target market, their age, and their behavior. If consumers lose passion for the product then it will see its way out. Sure, do TV timeouts annoy us at the games? Yeah, but we still sit through them here in Ames. Not to mention we will show up to tailgate at 6 in the damn morning if kickoff is at 11. We will still fill our stadium for a 1 win team 10 games throughout the season (and probably all the way if mother nature wasn't so harsh).

We are expanding our stadium and increasing ticket prices all while others across the nation have this going on. Perhaps Michigan fans are just getting older through the generational gap as an average as the baby boomers reach their late years. Call me crazy, but perhaps that same thing is happening across the state to the East. Maybe younger generations aren't diehard for the old names like they once thought they were, making it tough to maintain that level of support.

Last edited:

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
There are very few things I like more than college football. I particularly liked the college vs pro discussion. The more the college experience becomes the pro experience, the less I will like going to the games in person- triple digit ticket prices, game time changes, tv timeouts, blaring music, non stop advertising, in ad finem marketing promotions, putting a corporate $ sign on every conceivable piece of real estate, fundraising letters from university employees whose public salary is 3 times what I ever made.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan getting hit hard. Only a measly 97,000 show up for home games anymore.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Thanks for the share. Interesting to say the least.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
if im not mistaken, tv has already changed the rules of both college and pro football. a few years ago, they felt the need to speed up the games a bit. instead of reducing ad time, they initiated continuous clock, when it normally would have been stopped in certain instances.

any refs out there want to verify this. fairly certain i didn't just make that up.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
what i don't get is why they just don't charge more per commercial. instead of having 45minutes of commercial time for 3 million dollars, why not cut out the slotted "tv timeouts" reduce commercial time by 50% and still charge the same amount of money? advertisers would pay it. it is probably the most valued commercial time available on television. instead of cringing through 13 papa johns commercials, we would only have to choke down 5.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
I honestly think we are at a critical stage in football. This bubble of money is eventually going to pop. At some point we just won't be able to keep throwing cash at the the football program, and what happens then will be very interesting.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
if im not mistaken, tv has already changed the rules of both college and pro football. a few years ago, they felt the need to speed up the games a bit. instead of reducing ad time, they initiated continuous clock, when it normally would have been stopped in certain instances.

any refs out there want to verify this. fairly certain i didn't just make that up.

I thought some of the reason for the continuous clock was to compensate for the time spent on replays.

And yeah, that comes back to fitting a game in a TV time slot, but I think it was warranted.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
what i don't get is why they just don't charge more per commercial. instead of having 45minutes of commercial time for 3 million dollars, why not cut out the slotted "tv timeouts" reduce commercial time by 50% and still charge the same amount of money? advertisers would pay it. it is probably the most valued commercial time available on television. instead of cringing through 13 papa johns commercials, we would only have to choke down 5.

If this statement were true, I'm sure they would already be doing this. Papa Johns wants to saturate us with those 13 commericals.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If this statement were true, I'm sure they would already be doing this. Papa Johns wants to saturate us with those 13 commericals.

yep. Advertisers want repetition. If you have one spot per game, you only get people who are watching at that time to see it. You run one spot every other commercial break, you're going to get more people to see it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
yep. Advertisers want repetition. If you have one spot per game, you only get people who are watching at that time to see it. You run one spot every other commercial break, you're going to get more people to see it.

I guess I just don't understand the repetition. I never took a marketing class but 13 ads in a single game just annoys the heck out of me. I either get very good at subconsciously ignoring it or getting ****** off. If thats what advertisers think they want then I question their intelligence. It probably comes from one old study that got passed around in way too many classes.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I guess I just don't understand the repetition. I never took a marketing class but 13 ads in a single game just annoys the heck out of me. I either get very good at subconsciously ignoring it or getting ****** off. If thats what advertisers think they want then I question their intelligence. It probably comes from one old study that got passed around in way too many classes.

Repetition reinforces memory. Marketing/Ad people aren't dumb. They don't put together million dollar ad campaigns based on old studies or bad science. Ads play multiple times because that's exactly how they want them.