Jack White

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Thoughts on Lazaretto? Anyone else going to KC to see him?

His awesome performance at Bonnaroo in both audio and video format

http://www.reddit.com/r/jackwhite/comments/28aymi/full_jack_white_show_from_bonnaroo_2014/

Cool features on the vinyl version

• 80 gram vinyl
  • two vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
  • one hidden track plays at 78 RPM and one plays at 45 RPM, making this a three-speed record
  • Side A plays from the inside out
  • dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for "Just One Drink" depending on where needle is dropped; the grooves meet for the body of the song
  • matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an unplayed 78 RPM record
  • both sides end with locked grooves
  • vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
  • dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
  • absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
  • Different running order from the CD/digital version
  • Utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD/digital versions

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I love Lazaretto. I'm a huge Jack White fan, him in any form is my "bucket list concert" (from the other thread). While I also enjoy Black Keys, I thought it was interesting lately when he called them out for basically ripping off his sound (not that they're at all unique in doing it). I agree with him that others are definitely capitalizing on his sound, but to be fair, he's not the first fuzzy guitar garage rock guy.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
He comes off as a stuck up jack *** to me - but the man make some killer music!

I'll agree with this. He takes himself a little too seriously, but I don't care that much, because he's such a fantastic musician.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
He apologized for his comments but also said that some were taken out of context by Rolling Stone.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm loving Lazaretto as well. I think it's a definite step-up from Blunderbuss, which was ok, but not up to his usual level of awesomeness.

I agree that he comes off as way too self-serious, but just like Ryan Adams (another complete ****** bag), I don't really care because he's a fantastic musician. I don't really need to feel like I would enjoy hanging out with my favorite musicians to still enjoy them.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I haven't heard the album yet, but I like Jack White, I think he's very serious about his art form and how it's created and also how it's received the by audience. I think that's pretty rare for the most part.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
He apologized for his comments but also said that some were taken out of context by Rolling Stone.

I did see that. I remember when the White Stripes were first making it really big with Elephant, there was another band that was out at the same time (I think also from Detroit) that had "White" in the title. Jack just decimated them in the media (and I think there was a fistfight?), and I'm pretty sure they just crumbled. Man, I can't even remember their name, because the White Stripes' career just dwarfed them.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Cool features on the vinyl version

• 80 gram vinyl
  • two vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
  • one hidden track plays at 78 RPM and one plays at 45 RPM, making this a three-speed record
  • Side A plays from the inside out
  • dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for "Just One Drink" depending on where needle is dropped; the grooves meet for the body of the song
  • matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an unplayed 78 RPM record
  • both sides end with locked grooves
  • vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
  • dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
  • absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
  • Different running order from the CD/digital version
  • Utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD/digital versions

Do you mean 180 gram? 80 gram vinyl would be very, very thin.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I really like Lazaretto. Great to see the setlist from his Bonnaroo performance included a lot of White Stripes, Raconteurs, and Dead Weather stuff.

I have a ticket to see him at Red Rocks this summer, freaking fired up for that one. I saw the White Stripes twice in 2004, great shows. Wish I hadn't missed Raconteurs and especially Dead Weather, but guessing we haven't seen the end of those bands.

I think High Ball Stepper would be fantastic football intro music, especially with a tornado siren blazing in the background.

[video=youtube;sRbnAxrS3EM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRbnAxrS3EM&feature=kp[/video]

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I got tickets to see him at Red Rocks. It's gonna be Awesome with a capital A.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I'll agree with this. He takes himself a little too seriously, but I don't care that much, because he's such a fantastic musician.

I used to think that as well but he was on Conan last week and he's got a pretty good sense of humor...which kind of surprised me because I always thought he was always so serious.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Love Lazaretto, which is interesting to me since I was never a big fan of the white stripes.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I love Lazaretto. I'm a huge Jack White fan, him in any form is my "bucket list concert" (from the other thread). While I also enjoy Black Keys, I thought it was interesting lately when he called them out for basically ripping off his sound (not that they're at all unique in doing it). I agree with him that others are definitely capitalizing on his sound, but to be fair, he's not the first fuzzy guitar garage rock guy.

I'm a fan of his too. His ego got the best of him with those comments. In "It Might Get Loud" he talks about the guys he was influenced by. I think he wrote some emails in a bad mood and they got out.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm loving Lazaretto as well. I think it's a definite step-up from Blunderbuss, which was ok, but not up to his usual level of awesomeness.

I agree that he comes off as way too self-serious, but just like Ryan Adams (another complete ****** bag), I don't really care because he's a fantastic musician. I don't really need to feel like I would enjoy hanging out with my favorite musicians to still enjoy them.

Lazaretto is well ahead of Blunderbuss. I think Jack's bravado is what has given him the success he has had. With the White Stripes, it takes some serious moxy to say I'm going to put a barely competent drummer behind me, carry every melody, sing vocals and make incredibly music. For the Stripes to do what they did without a bassist, rhythm guitarist and having a poor excuse for a drummer is remarkable, and you don't pull that off unless you are pretty damn confident in yourself.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I got tickets to see him at Red Rocks. It's gonna be Awesome with a capital A.

When is this and do you think my wife will be made when I cancel all my plans and make an impromptu trip to Colorado?

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I did see that. I remember when the White Stripes were first making it really big with Elephant, there was another band that was out at the same time (I think also from Detroit) that had "White" in the title. Jack just decimated them in the media (and I think there was a fistfight?), and I'm pretty sure they just crumbled. Man, I can't even remember their name, because the White Stripes' career just dwarfed them.

Now that's Rock n' Roll.

It's funny Ryan Adams was brought up because I consider him the best singer/songwriter of his generation and I don't think it is particularly close. Went to see him at the Chicago Theater and he made a point to bash Minneapolis when the sound at The Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul was bad for his previous show. Being from Minneapolis I was like, there is no nee to bash the entire city. Anyway, he's sober now, or soberer and seems like his behavior has improved.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Now that's Rock n' Roll.

It's funny Ryan Adams was brought up because I consider him the best singer/songwriter of his generation and I don't think it is particularly close. Went to see him at the Chicago Theater and he made a point to bash Minneapolis when the sound at The Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul was bad for his previous show. Being from Minneapolis I was like, there is no nee to bash the entire city. Anyway, he's sober now, or soberer and seems like his behavior has improved.

I saw him when he was at Stephens a few years ago, maybe five? It was a really good show, but he didn't have any rants like that. It might have been fun if he had.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Now that's Rock n' Roll.

Are you familiar with Todd Snider or Mike Cooley? I would rank both ahead of Adams as songwriters.

Adams has written some incredible songs though.