Ed O'Bannon trial

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
bump. The NCAA presented their first witness today, women's AD from Texas. Very interesting stuff. Emails from Dan Beebe entered into evidence.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm casually following it, and from what I gather the NCAA is taking a bit of an *** kicking.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
So... shouldn't the idea that only revenue generating sports are professional sports in the eyes of the prosecution make this an easy win for the NCAA? Seems kindof shady...

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm casually following it, and from what I gather the NCAA is taking a bit of an *** kicking.

yeah, the plaintiffs are doing a pretty good job, so far. Then again, the NCAA is just starting their defense, so we'll see.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This trial is interesting to me. I do agree that students either shouldn't have their name/likeness used, or that they should be reimbursed if it is - otherwise it seems like the NCAA is the only one benefiting. It's inconvenient, as it's obviously a lot more fun to play an NCAA game when your favorite player is represented - but that's not really all that fair to the kids.

Plonsky's opinions on student athletes exploiting the system are intriguing, to put it mildly.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So... shouldn't the idea that only revenue generating sports are professional sports in the eyes of the prosecution make this an easy win for the NCAA? Seems kindof shady...

It was the judge's ruling to exclude those no revenue sports, I believe.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
This trial is interesting to me. I do agree that students either shouldn't have their name/likeness used, or that they should be reimbursed if it is - otherwise it seems like the NCAA is the only one benefiting. It's inconvenient, as it's obviously a lot more fun to play an NCAA game when your favorite player is represented - but that's not really all that fair to the kids.

Plonsky's opinions on student athletes exploiting the system are intriguing, to put it mildly.

Agreed. The video games and jerseys are the biggest contradictions to the idea that athlete's likenesses can't be used for profit. Or is it just complete coincidence that, if I were to have walked into Scheels in Coralville last fall, I could have picked up an Iowa #44 jersey? Or #7 in 2011, or #12/#94 in 2010, #5 in 2006, etc.? Updating the numbers to reflect the team's current best players is how they keep those items flying off the racks. If they just used the same number every year, they couldn't possibly keep making money off of jersey sales every year.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That seems to me like that would make the NCAA's position much harder to defend, not easier, as trombone suggested.

yes it does.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Agreed. The video games and jerseys are the biggest contradictions to the idea that athlete's likenesses can't be used for profit. Or is it just complete coincidence that, if I were to have walked into Scheels in Coralville last fall, I could have picked up an Iowa #44 jersey? Or #7 in 2011, or #12/#94 in 2010, #5 in 2006, etc.? Updating the numbers to reflect the team's current best players is how they keep those items flying off the racks. If they just used the same number every year, they couldn't possibly keep making money off of jersey sales every year.

Yep, I agree. Similar for ISU MBB - everyone wants to wear the current, most relevant jersey. If they only used, say, retired numbers, it would be a lot less relevant each year.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
You trying to tell me that an ISU 32 MBB jersey wouldn't fly off shelves?

Initially, sure. But if you're only going to sell #32/Hoiberg, then eventually most people who would want one, would already have it. It's kind of like what would happen if Madden didn't update its rosters every year. Why would you buy a new one every year if the rosters are exactly the same as last year's?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Initially, sure. But if you're only going to sell #32/Hoiberg, then eventually most people who would want one, would already have it. It's kind of like what would happen if Madden didn't update its rosters every year. Why would you buy a new one every year if the rosters are exactly the same as last year's?

Updated gameplay?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Updated gameplay?

That's typically pretty minimal on a year-to-year basis, especially once the franchise is established on the latest generation of consoles (the difference between Madden 13 on PS3 and Madden 25 on PS4 doesn't count). If the rosters were exactly the same, I would likely only buy Madden every 2-3 years.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
That's typically pretty minimal on a year-to-year basis, especially once the franchise is established on the latest generation of consoles (the difference between Madden 13 on PS3 and Madden 25 on PS4 doesn't count). If the rosters were exactly the same, I would likely only buy Madden every 2-3 years.

In a perfect world, your last sentence would make EA actually improve gameplay. As it stands now, they make money based solely off of the roster update. What they should be doing is offering a new roster every year as a patch and only sell the games when they make changes worth paying money for but we know that will never happen. Especially when we (I've owned every Madden since 1992) keep shelling out 50 bucks for new rosters.