NBA Draft Rankings

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Hard to argue with the logic of him not having the ceiling of guys 4-5 years younger than he is. I still think he makes a roster and has a solid career, and a much better career than Aaron Craft

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I get the age thing when comparing to someone who is 19 or 20. But someone who is 22 or 23? At that point, does 2 years make that big of a difference in "potential"?

Kane may not be spectacular in the NBA but, having watched him play this season, he will come in and be a solid contributor right away. Perhaps the ceiling isn't as high but the floor isn't as low.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I predict that Smart will be a flop in the NBA.

I also do thing that Kane will have a nice, steady NBA career, 50 years old or not.

I think Kane will earn a paycheck in the NBA for a few years.

But I also think Smart can do fine with some good leadership. Remember, he didn't exactly have a great coach at Okie State. Think about how much of a difference leadership meant for Kane.

If Smart can man up and quit flopping, he has a ton of talent.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
If my only weakness listed keeping me from making millions is that I'm in my mid-20s, I'd be more than happy with it.

I wouldn't be. That's something that can easily scare off teams from giving me the big bucks, and it's one of the few things I'd have absolutely no control over. I could develop a better jumper or post moves. I can't make myself younger.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I get the age thing when comparing to someone who is 19 or 20. But someone who is 22 or 23? At that point, does 2 years make that big of a difference in "potential"?

Kane may not be spectacular in the NBA but, having watched him play this season, he will come in and be a solid contributor right away. Perhaps the ceiling isn't as high but the floor isn't as low.
I agree with this 100%. I don't think he would ever be a star or even a starter, but I could see him being a solid off the bench contributor to a lot of teams.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I wouldn't be. That's something that can easily scare off teams from giving me the big bucks, and it's one of the few things I'd have absolutely no control over. I could develop a better jumper or post moves. I can't make myself younger.

I agree with cyrocksmypants… The fact is that if Kane did not come to ISU this year and play the season he did he would not even be considered possible draft pick. The work he did put himself in this position at this age and there is nothing he or any NBA team can do about that now. I'd rather have gotten the opportunity to make a couple million for a few seasons at age 25 than have no opportunity to make money declaring for the draft at age 18-20. Because that is the situation Kane was in.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I agree with cyrocksmypants… The fact is that if Kane did not come to ISU this year and play the season he did he would not even be considered possible draft pick. The work he did put himself in this position at this age and there is nothing he or any NBA team can do about that now. I'd rather have gotten the opportunity to make a couple million for a few seasons at age 25 than have no opportunity to make money declaring for the draft at age 18-20. Because that is the situation Kane was in.

In Kane's case, he's certainly better off. But he's not going to get drafted highly, and thus miss out on a bigger rookie deal, because of his age (and not all guys who have graduated at his age were so obscure when they were younger, either). Teams can draft players who are of similar caliber and are younger than he is. He'll have a solid career, but he probably won't be a star or ever get big money. He'll be very close to 30, if not already at the milestone, by the time he's ready to sign his second contract, which is usually the big money deal.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I doubt Russ Smith has much more untapped potential in the next year than Kane…plus Napier isn't a point guard, he's a short shooting guard.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
If you use conventional wisdom, look at the Timberwolves drafts. The Kane to old thing is stupid.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
While he starred in his final collegiate season, it’s important to keep in mind he was playing against players three or more years younger than him. — CJ

How then is that a weakness? I'd take a well-seasoned and insightful player any day, one who could stand up to the "old boys", over an immature kid. Duh.

You go, Kane, and laugh all the way to the bank.

:pcool:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
While he starred in his final collegiate season, it’s important to keep in mind he was playing against players three or more years younger than him. — CJ

How then is that a weakness? I'd take a well-seasoned and insightful player any day, one who could stand up to the "old boys", over an immature kid. Duh.

And younger players drafted will now be playing against players older than them.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

The arguement is Kane was a full grown man producing against players who haven't fully developed their body/game (3-4 years younger) thus his size and experience was the advantage leading to his great numbers and accolades. When he enters the NBA he'll be playing with his same age group and physicallity thus he loses the advantage he held over most in college. Not that I agree with it, but it is a concern of GM's, it is there job to nit-pick afterall.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Because most 24 year olds are a lot stronger than 18-20 year olds. So you have to try to project how his game translates when he doesn't have such a strength advantage.