Monday Musings: The chore of non-con scheduling in Ames

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
I'd love to see us schedule against the lower teams in the Big 5. However, aren't these schedules put in place years in advance? By the time we play Purdue, Illinois or Minnesota, they might not be the "lower" team in the division. Let's find the Arkansas Pine Bluff or Georgia A&M teams and play them $350,000 to come to Ames :smile:

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I'd love to see us schedule against the lower teams in the Big 5. However, aren't these schedules put in place years in advance? By the time we play Purdue, Illinois or Minnesota, they might not be the "lower" team in the division. Let's find the Arkansas Pine Bluff or Georgia A&M teams and play them $350,000 to come to Ames :smile:

Scheduling two FCS teams in one season? With those television dollars? Ain't gonna happen.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA

yeah, until they get good like Tulsa or NDSU

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
"When Toledo travels to Ames on Oct. 11 this year (2:30 p.m. on Cyclones.tv), it won’t cost Iowa State a dime."

Chris - I wonder if this will actually be the case for future home and home series. Just because it's home and home doesn't mean someone isn't getting paid. In some instances these lower-tier programs are still getting paid for home-and-home series:

"Florida International, however, will receive a $1 million guarantee to play in Bloomington in 2015 and the Hoosiers will receive just $200,000 to play in Miami in 2016. Those numbers make sense considering that IU drew an average of 44,353 to home games last season and Florida International drew just 15,453."

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2014/04...orida-series-reflects-adjustment-in-approach/

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
"When Toledo travels to Ames on Oct. 11 this year (2:30 p.m. on Cyclones.tv), it won’t cost Iowa State a dime."

Chris - I wonder if this will actually be the case for future home and home series. Just because it's home and home doesn't mean someone isn't getting paid. In some instances these lower-tier programs are still getting paid for home-and-home series:

"Florida International, however, will receive a $1 million guarantee to play in Bloomington in 2015 and the Hoosiers will receive just $200,000 to play in Miami in 2016. Those numbers make sense considering that IU drew an average of 44,353 to home games last season and Florida International drew just 15,453."

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2014/04...orida-series-reflects-adjustment-in-approach/

Going by what a source told me...

In the future, perhaps not. For Toledo, this appears to be the case though.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
Scheduling two FCS teams in one season? With those television dollars? Ain't gonna happen.

If we have 2 guaranteed wins, and they count toward our bowl eligibility, I don't care if we play Charlotte 49ers, Jackson State or Prairie View A&M. See Bill Snyder in early 1990's.

KSU Non-Conference Schedule 1990-93

9/8/90 - Western Illinois
9/15/90 - New Mexico State
9/22/90 - Northern Illinois

9/7/91 - Indiana State
9/14/91 - Idaho State
9/21/91 - Northern Illinois

9/19/92 - Montana
9/26/92 - Temple
10/3/92 - New Mexico State

9/4/93 - New Mexico State
9/11/93 - Western Kentucky
12/29/93 - Wyoming

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
How much does ISU make for a home game? If that amount is more then what it would cost to do a one game series, in Ames, with these MAC type schools, then pay them to come here.

Its simple. If the amount of money ISU makes to have a 7th home game is more then what it cost to pay these schools to come to Ames for a one game series, and ISU is not paying them to come here so they get that 7th game, then ISU is losing money. Not to mention ISU and the Big 12 are losing rights to a game that could be placed on TV.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
If we have 2 guaranteed wins, and they count toward our bowl eligibility, I don't care if we play Charlotte 49ers, Jackson State or Prairie View A&M. See Bill Snyder in early 1990's.

KSU Non-Conference Schedule 1990-93

9/8/90 - Western Illinois
9/15/90 - New Mexico State
9/22/90 - Northern Illinois

9/7/91 - Indiana State
9/14/91 - Idaho State
9/21/91 - Northern Illinois

9/19/92 - Montana
9/26/92 - Temple
10/3/92 - New Mexico State

9/4/93 - New Mexico State
9/11/93 - Western Kentucky
12/29/93 - Wyoming

I agree, but times have changed. TV money wasn't even in the same hemisphere back then. Networks don't want to pay millions for Bill Snyder's awful schedules in the 90's. Even KSU has come around, hence a home and home with Auburn over the next two years.

PLUS, as I noted in the column, there is competition to play those those type of teams now. Everybody is trying to buy those wins and Iowa State won't ever win those bidding wars.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
How much does ISU make for a home game? If that amount is more then what it would cost to do a one game series, in Ames, with these MAC type schools, then pay them to come here.

Its simple. If the amount of money ISU makes to have a 7th home game is more then what it cost to pay these schools to come to Ames for a one game series, and ISU is not paying them to come here so they get that 7th game, then ISU is losing money. Not to mention ISU and the Big 12 are losing rights to a game that could be placed on TV.

OK, I need to re-nig on this.

So right now ISU plays 13 homes games in a 2-year period. Lets say they make $1.3 Million each home game (I have no idea if this is accurate). That would mean they make $16.9 Million in a 2-year period.

Now if they decide to have 7 home games each season and pay a MAC type school $1.1 Million to come here each season, you are making $18.2 Million of those now 14 games in a 2-year period, but you are shelling out $2.2 Million of that to pay the MAC type schools. So instead of making $16.9 Million, you're making $16 Million.

Once again, I have to defer finical wisdom to JP. I think he has this right.

Reactions: Aclone

cyclonefan59

Jul 3, 2006
Clarksville, Tn
You only count one win vs FBS schools for bowl elgibility. We need to get to a place where we have 7 or 8 home games not 6 or seven. I like CW's idea of a home and home vs the likes of Vandy or Minn. The SEC has just made a game against a Big 5 school mandatory for all SEC members so that may help us get a Kentucky or Vandy. K-State is playing Auburn this year.

After we expand the stadium our gate receipts may be high enough to where we can buy games like many schools, Even if it is a bread even vs a home and home vs a MAC school, it would make sense to have the game in OUR stadium for obvious reasons.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
In JP's defense we are only 3 years from the "Big 12 is toast", and as someone has stated, these schedules are set up way in advance. If ISU would have been left out of the schools that ended up in a Big 5 conference, the home and home would have looked like a great move.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You only count one win vs FCS schools for bowl elgibility. We need to get to a place where we have 7 or 8 home games not 6 or seven. I like CW's idea of a home and home vs the likes of Vandy or Minn. The SEC has just made a game against a Big 5 school mandatory for all SEC members so that may help us get a Kentucky or Vandy. K-State is playing Auburn this year.

After we expand the stadium our gate receipts may be high enough to where we can buy games like many schools, Even if it is a bread even vs a home and home vs a MAC school, it would make sense to have the game in OUR stadium for obvious reasons.

Fixed it for you.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How much are the buyouts for the road games with Toledo, San Jose State, and Akron?

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Kansas State vs Auburn is not the first game of a home and home series. It is the last game of 2 for 1 series that Ron "Clown" Prince arranged with Tommy Tuberville when he was at Auburn. Auburn chose to ignore the road trip until reminded of the buyout number. The first two games were played years ago at Auburn.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron