RECRUITING: Top in-state prospect commits to Cyclones

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Great size, multi sport guy and he sounds real motivated. Could be a real steal. Seems like if we can get them to camp we usually have a good shot at getting them when we offer. Anybody know if Burrow is camping with us?

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
Is there not much talent in-state this year? I see Iowa hasn't offered this kid, however has offered 2-5 on the rivals rating list for the state. On the flip side, we've not offered any of those other kids. Seems like more Iowa kids have received offers from us both in the past.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Great size, multi sport guy and he sounds real motivated. Could be a real steal. Seems like if we can get them to camp we usually have a good shot at getting them when we offer. Anybody know if Burrow is camping with us?

Burrow committed to Ohio State

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Is there not much talent in-state this year? I see Iowa hasn't offered this kid, however has offered 2-5 on the rivals rating list for the state. On the flip side, we've not offered any of those other kids. Seems like more Iowa kids have received offers from us both in the past.

There's a lot of instate talent this year. I think there are 9 or 10 in-state guys that already have an offer from Iowa or ISU or both, and that's a lot at this point in the year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
There's a lot of instate talent this year. I think there are 9 or 10 in-state guys that already have an offer from Iowa or ISU or both, and that's a lot at this point in the year.

Yeah, it's just not "sexy" talent. Evidently linemen don't equate to talent. That said, there isn't a guy out there who someone just has to have like Lazard. To me, a lot of these guys are in the same tier, so to speak.

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
I guess what I was trying to say is there seems to be no overlap in offers to this point. Is it that we already knew some of these kids were Iowa bound and figured it was pointless?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I guess what I was trying to say is there seems to be no overlap in offers to this point. Is it that we already knew some of these kids were Iowa bound and figured it was pointless?

Maybe. Maybe not. Recruiting is resources and how you use them. You target certain people because of need, talent, whether they would be a good fit, and also whether they will accept if offered. It is a balancing act.

We have offered Meeker who has accepted and Nerness, who is still deciding. I might point out also that this will be a very small recruiting class. We have very few seniors. So we have to be very selective. Meeker has good size and athleticism and can also play multiple positions on the line. So there are a lot of options on the line as to where he might end up. Most likely a guard, IMO. And that versatility is a good thing.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Maybe. Maybe not. Recruiting is resources and how you use them. You target certain people because of need, talent, whether they would be a good fit, and also whether they will accept if offered. It is a balancing act.

We have offered Meeker who has accepted and Nerness, who is still deciding. I might point out also that this will be a very small recruiting class. We have very few seniors. So we have to be very selective. Meeker has good size and athleticism and can also play multiple positions on the line. So there are a lot of options on the line as to where he might end up. Most likely a guard, IMO. And that versatility is a good thing.

Nelson from Waukee also was offered after camp.

What people are forgetting is our staff turnover was about 75% after the season. Replacing that many coaches means recruiting the upcoming class will take more time as the new coaches have to start from scratch.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron