NBA: *** Official 2014 NBA Playoffs Thread ***

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
We can go back and forth about differences between each era, but the bottom line undisputed fact is that it was much more difficult to score in the 80's and 90's because of the rules. Ask any analyst or nba expert and all of them will agree with that. Phil Jackson said Jordan would average like 50 points a game in today's nba. Lebron fans can try to manufacture this into a debate, but there is no debate.
Well the fact that there was a lot more scoring in the 80's than today would seem to dispute that but you don't seem like a guy who is really interested in facts.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Well the fact that there was a lot more scoring in the 80's than today would seem to dispute that but you don't seem like a guy who is really interested in facts.

Feel free to drop a link from an analyst or anyone reputable in NBA circles that disputes anything that I said. Take your time, I'll wait.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Quin Snyder is going to be the head coach of the Utah Jazz. Seriously? I only remember him from his Missouri days, but he never seemed like a good coach.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Can we ban all talk of Michael Jordan in this thread. Unless he does something related to the current playoffs/offseason, take it to a different thread, please?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Sure it would have made him a better defender, but his offense is what I am referring to.

Growing up with it and always playing like that? Doesn't matter. It would have made him tougher and I'm sorry but if you give LeBron a little more intensity and aggression, which that style bred, he's impossible. I would say it just wouldn't matter.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
And how exactly does that dispute anything that I said?
407799379_image_xlarge.png

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We can go back and forth about differences between each era, but the bottom line undisputed fact is that it was much more difficult to score in the 80's and 90's because of the rules. Ask any analyst or nba expert and all of them will agree with that. Phil Jackson said Jordan would average like 50 points a game in today's nba. Lebron fans can try to manufacture this into a debate, but there is no debate.

Greatest playoff scorer ever, with a huge gap, in perhaps lowest scoring eras of play. Jordan's career playoff scoring average is perhaps the most untouchable record in sports. Even a young electric scorer like KD already has basically no chance to touch it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Can we ban all talk of Michael Jordan in this thread. Unless he does something related to the current playoffs/offseason, take it to a different thread, please?

As long as LeBron worshipers call him greatest this, greatest that, it's going to happen…especially when he sits out of the final minute of a Finals game.

I believe in this thread LeBron was alluded to as possibly the greatest defender of all time.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Well the fact they scored 10 more points per game is pretty damning to the argument that it was harder to score but if you would like to stick to that, I'm fine with it.

Apples and oranges.

First, the quality of the players is much lower today.

Interesting read: http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8007685/nba-playoff-scoring-2012-vs-scoring-1985

Scoring average of "teams" in two completely different eras with completely different players is not disputing anything that I said. Let's keep this apples to apples. If you or anyone else would like to try again, I am still patiently waiting.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Apples and oranges.

Interesting read: http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8007685/nba-playoff-scoring-2012-vs-scoring-1985

Scoring average of "teams" in two completely different eras with completely different players is not disputing anything that I said. Let's keep this apples to apples. If you or anyone else would like to try again, I am still patiently waiting.

How is that apples and oranges? If you're argument is that it is easier to score in the 80's than today and the stats show that teams in the 80's scored a considerable bit more than today, that would seem like a direct comparison to me.

But here's a good article that does a good job dispelling a lot of the myth's that it was much harder to score in the 90's than today:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9117632/was-jordan-era-really-more-physical-nba

If you need insider access to read it, it's also posted here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1bddpo/insider_request_hard_fouls_part_of_todays_game/

Also this blog has a lot of good links on this topic too

http://therdsports.com/2013/06/19/the-mythic-1990s/

If you can find something that shows it was harder to score in the 80's or 90's than today that isn't just a former player's opinion I would be interested to see it. Players saying the players were better in their era is nothing new. Here's a good article from 1998 talking about the lack of quality in the NBA back then:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/08/s...ty-of-play-falls-off.html?src=pm&pagewanted=2

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Apples and oranges.

Ok. So using how many points were scored per game league wide isn't relevant. I guess I'm out of this debate then because it seems as thought you get to make the incredibly idiotic rules as to what is "apples-to-apples." That was probably the most ridiculous argument I have ever seen.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I want the Heat to lose as much as anyone but I can see all the Lebron haters being served crow. As far as comparing him to MJ, the only place that's even a relevant argument is off the court as the face of the NBA. Lebron has taken that torch and run with it all the while also becoming exactly what people said he would when he was 15, the greatest bball player on the planet. There's pry never been another athlete with the pressure James has had placed upon him. Most of the LBJ/MJ argument comes from the Lebron haters, they outnumber his fans like 100 to 1.

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I enjoyed game 1 but it's only 1 game, and Miami always bounces back from a loss in game 1's. No need to really watch tonight, Miami tonight by 7-10 points.

Help Support Us

Become a patron