New phone recommendation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm a sprint customer, and have been an owner of the HTC Evo for 3 years. It's been amazing and I would keep it longer, but its finally starting to wear out. Any recommendations on a replacement phone that is similar as possible to the Evo? Also, will they be able to switch all of my apps over?

Thanks in Advance

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I was just going to add, I'm not a fan of the iphone. My wife has one, don't care for it. So i've ruled that out.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I LOVE my HTC One...can't answer the other questions because I don't know. But I will buy the next One as well...easily the best phone I have owned.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I really like my Galaxy S5. Not sure how it compares to the Evo size-wise. If you go with the S5 you'll definitely want to get setup for wireless charging. It's a pia to open the microUSB port cover every time you need to plug it in otherwise. Once you go wireless charging you'll never want anything else.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I LOVE my HTC One...can't answer the other questions because I don't know. But I will buy the next One as well...easily the best phone I have owned.

I almost returned my S5 to get a One when I found out the S5 couldn't (yet) be rooted. I might get one anyway for 'app testing'. I really like HTC phones.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've been happy with the Nexus5. I agree with 1100***** that wireless charging is great.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006

I also have a HTC One and really like it. Good battery life. Good rugged metal case. Fits in pocket nicely. It replaced a HTC Thunderbolt which I heard HTC officially apologized for. Battery life was horrible on that thing.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
I hate my Galaxy S3. Worst phone I've ever owned and I'm not a power user. Only thing I like about it is the screen size.

My next phone is going to be the HTC One.

The newish Motorola android phones are really nice.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I've been happy with my S4. I don't think they can transfer apps, but any apps you've purchased will be available to you in your Google Play account. You just have to re-download them.

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
I can't believe your Evo lasted this long, especially on Sprint's network! Mine was garbage by the time my two years expired, and I treat my phones well.

My advice - switch to Verizon and get a new iPhone or Galaxy. You will be amazed how much better their LTE is, as well as the battery life.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I can't believe your Evo lasted this long, especially on Sprint's network! Mine was garbage by the time my two years expired, and I treat my phones well.

My advice - switch to Verizon and get a new iPhone or Galaxy. You will be amazed how much better their LTE is, as well as the battery life.

I'm actually looking at this in the fairly near future too. Switching over to Verizon, and I've loved my S3, but it's kind of run its course, as well. Any opinion on the latest generations of the iPhone vs. Galaxy?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
If you like the EVO, the HTC One would probably be the best choice. And I think when you sign into your Google account your apps will get installed. Assuming you allowed Google to sync app data. I'm thinking mine did when I switched from the S4 to the S5. Not 100% on that though. You might have to re-download them as ianconnor said.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I'm actually looking at this in the fairly near future too. Switching over to Verizon, and I've loved my S3, but it's kind of run its course, as well. Any opinion on the latest generations of the iPhone vs. Galaxy?

IMO, you can't go wrong with either. I wouldn't count out the HTC One M8.

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place

Hello no2cyclones,

Verizon's service and speed is the best, bar none. But you will pay for it with an increase in monthly fees. Whether or not it's worth it over US Cellular, I am not sure. My Verizon plan is up in September and I am considering a switch back to US Cellular just to get on my parent's family plan and save some $$$. The iPhone is great, but I have never owned a Galaxy so I am not sure if it is better. The screen size is way too big for me, but that's a personal preference, and I'm probably punishing Android too much based on a 4 year old Evo that sucked. Hopefully that helps!

Regards,
RunDMC

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I hate my Galaxy S3. Worst phone I've ever owned and I'm not a power user. Only thing I like about it is the screen size.

My next phone is going to be the HTC One.

The newish Motorola android phones are really nice.

Really? I've loved my GS3. My only complaint is that they didn't have a play edition of that one to get stock Droid.

Personally, I'm holding out to see if Verizon is going to get the Sony Xperia z2. Otherwise the LG G3 looks promising.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I had a droid 2 for a couple years. Loved it, thought android was the best. Got an Iphone 5 and now you couldn't pay me to not have an iphone.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Hello no2cyclones,

Verizon's service and speed is the best, bar none. But you will pay for it with an increase in monthly fees. Whether or not it's worth it over US Cellular, I am not sure. My Verizon plan is up in September and I am considering a switch back to US Cellular just to get on my parent's family plan and save some $$$. The iPhone is great, but I have never owned a Galaxy so I am not sure if it is better. The screen size is way too big for me, but that's a personal preference, and I'm probably punishing Android too much based on a 4 year old Evo that sucked. Hopefully that helps!

Regards,
RunDMC

I looked into switching to US Cellular recently and it didn't seem to be any cheaper than Verizon. Maybe it depends on the plan. But, if you live or go to Southwest Iowa a lot you should definitely consider US Cellular. My inlaws have a cabin in SW Iowa and I get no connection at all there with Verizon. I kinda like it though:)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron