Thoughts on ISU behind black and gold glasses

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Sounds like a fair assessment to me. Pretty much exactly what most people are predicting.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I wouldn't say that he thinks there's no chance, but that it's unlikely. Pretty fair article that really gave a lot of credit to the offense's potential while noting the defensive problems we might be looking at.

This.

I can't find a thing wrong in his write-up. If the game is inside 20, I'll be somewhat surprised. At the same time, if we win - I won't be all that surprised either. These games have been true rivalry games where anything can happen and little goes as expected.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Two years ago we were clearly the better team--just so many red-zone issues, but we found a way.

Last year's time didn't find many ways.

It would be a big upset, sure, but it's not impossible. Not counting on it at all, though--prefer maybe a home upset over K-State or something--on the way to (hopeful) six.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I don't know why you'd predict much different given last year's poor showing and our apparent need to build some sort of chaperoned dorm/prison to keep our defensive line out of trouble.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Morehouse is about the least biased guy in the Iowa media. Him and Dochterman do a great job with their coverage.

Totally agree. Morehouse is by far my favorite sports writer in the state. Obviously, he covers the Hawkeyes, but he's always respectful and typically has a very balanced point of view.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I agree with most in this thread. This is a fair shake from Mr. Morehouse and based on the W/L's from last year, and how our defense performed, I can't say I'd write anything any differently.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
that was a really good write up in my opinion. I agree with almost all of it.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Morehouse is about the least biased guy in the Iowa media. Him and Dochterman do a great job with their coverage.

Good article but missed a ton of news worthy data in that piece, specifically key additions/subtractions is way off.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
"The Big 12 has 10 teams, so everyone plays everyone. It’s a real conference in every sense of the word."

I concur.

RRiz3.gif

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
that was a really good write up in my opinion. I agree with almost all of it.

Just for the sake of conversation, what do you disagree with?

BTW, I agreed with him almost the entire way, as well. The only difference being I thought he said the ISU running game might be able to get going, where I think the passing game will need to step up and stretch the D (maybe I read that wrong, too. Who knows).

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Iowa will have a VERY good O-line this year and a big RB. Put that on the field against our thin and inexperienced D-line and I gotta say I do not like our chances. We will need to win TO battle and score 28+ pts to even have a chance. IMHO

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
He forgot to factor in that we try harder and that Iowa just doesn't get up for this game and that Iowa has everything to lose and nothing to gain from this game and... oh, sorry I thought this was about Jon Miller... Never mind.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Iowa will have a VERY good O-line this year and a big RB. Put that on the field against our thin and inexperienced D-line and I gotta say I do not like our chances. We will need to win TO battle and score 28+ pts to even have a chance. IMHO
Are we really that thin at defensive line? Added 4 JUCOs and Jensen came back. We have some huge additions on the defensive line, especially ones with major size. Our size on the defensive line is way bigger than last year. Add in the experience of Morrissey, Cousin and Jensen and I think people are making this way worse than it should be.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
He forgot to factor in that we try harder and that Iowa just doesn't get up for this game and that Iowa has everything to lose and nothing to gain from this game and... oh, sorry I thought this was about Jon Miller... Never mind.

Right super bowl factor for ISU always plays a part.