Ames 150

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Ames will be celebrating its sesquicentennial this summer around the 4th of July and it looks like there are a couple interesting bands that will perform live for the event. I think Robert Randolph and Buckwheat Zydeco would be pretty fun to see live. Sounds like some other good events as well.
For some info on the event and the bands: http://ames150.com/events/

Robert Randolph- If I had my Way
[video=youtube;Qnpy_Zs-f3c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnpy_Zs-f3c[/video]

Buckwheat Zydeco final episode of late night with Jimmy Fallon
[video]http://www.hulu.com/watch/594691[/video]

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Didn't ISU celebrate 150 years in 2008 or something? Is the university actually older than the city? That can't be right.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Didn't ISU celebrate 150 years in 2008 or something? Is the university actually older than the city? That can't be right.

ISU was founded in 1858 but it took a while for it to actually be a college... For example, the site in Story County wasn't even selected for ISU until 1859. The first class of students didn't come until 1868.

Fun fact: Story County "won" as ISU's location over proposals from Marshall, Polk, Kossuth, and Johnson counties.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
ISU was founded in 1858 but it took a while for it to actually be a college... For example, the site in Story County wasn't even selected for ISU until 1859. The first class of students didn't come until 1868.

Fun fact: Story County "won" as ISU's location over proposals from Marshall, Polk, Kossuth, and Johnson counties.
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

I thought that Nevada had the choice of having a college (Iowa State) or being the county seat and they chose the county seat.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
The headline bands are pretty solid for this event and they're free, definitely something to check out if you're in or around Ames this summer. Also will be an enhanced fireworks display and 4th of July parade, along with many other events.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I had always heard that it came down ro Ames and Marshalltown and MTown chose the veterans home over the university.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I thought that Nevada had the choice of having a college (Iowa State) or being the county seat and they chose the county seat.

That could still be true. I am not an expert at ISU history but I do know that the legislature gave the school to Story County. How the county decided that it would end up in Ames over Nevada or anywhere else is unknown to me.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I'll be really disappointed if these guys don't perform:

web1_HoorayPic.jpg

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
That could still be true. I am not an expert at ISU history but I do know that the legislature gave the school to Story County. How the county decided that it would end up in Ames over Nevada or anywhere else is unknown to me.

I've also heard that Cherokee was given the choice between ISU and the mental institution. No idea how true it is, but its interesting to think of where the university could have ended up.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

It wasn't in Ames. The town and the college were a couple miles apart with only a train connection for a long time.
The Ames we know with ISU mixed in is nothing like the old days.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Ames will be celebrating its sesquicentennial this summer around the 4th of July and it looks like there are a couple interesting bands that will perform live for the event. I think Robert Randolph and Buckwheat Zydeco would be pretty fun to see live. Sounds like some other good events as well.
For some info on the event and the bands: http://ames150.com/events/

Robert Randolph- If I had my Way
[video=youtube;Qnpy_Zs-f3c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnpy_Zs-f3c[/video]

Buckwheat Zydeco final episode of late night with Jimmy Fallon
[video]http://www.hulu.com/watch/594691[/video]

Robert Randolph and the Family Band are awesome. That video was a little goofy, but their musicianship is outstanding. His work on that double pedal guitar is incredible. Can't wait to see them again in person.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
I've heard that in the 1950-60's, there were plans to create a state university in western Iowa. Atlantic was the selected town, but for whatever reason it didn't materialize.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Robert Randolph and the Family Band are awesome. That video was a little goofy, but their musicianship is outstanding. His work on that double pedal guitar is incredible. Can't wait to see them again in person.

Yep, I've heard they are really good live. Looking forward to seeing them for sure, Ames has a few really talented bands performing at this thing, should be a good time. What are your favorite jams by Robert Randolph and the Family Band, I have some of their stuff and really like "If I had my Way" and Memphis Beat". Are there some other ones I should check out?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Polk probably would have been the best, all things considered. There would be some benefits to having more synergy between the university and the state's largest metro area.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I've heard that in the 1950-60's, there were plans to create a state university in western Iowa. Atlantic was the selected town, but for whatever reason it didn't materialize.
Wasn't there also talk about putting a university in the eastern part of the state?

DIRustCohle

Apr 15, 2014
Ville Platte
It wasn't in Ames. The town and the college were a couple miles apart with only a train connection for a long time.
The Ames we know with ISU mixed in is nothing like the old days.

In terms of local politics, and synergies, the two are no closer together than they were 150 years ago.