Modular Home Companies

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
We're looking into putting a modular home on a rural acreage. We've looked at the model homes in Ames and Nevada. I'm looking for input on those or other companies to check with and any positive and or negative experiences buying a modular before we do much more looking.
I'm not opposed to a site built home but am thinking I'll save time and money with a modular. Most of the budget is going towards the land so we'll have less to work with on the home cost.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Modular homes are junk. I get that your budget is tight because of the land but if you plan on putting down roots I would strongly advise you stick build. Back off the square footage, don't finish the basement...there are ways to stretch cost. Also, don't let anyone sweet talk you into the new line "that modular homes are built better today than in the past". Complete lie.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Modular homes are junk. I get that your budget is tight because of the land but if you plan on putting down roots I would strongly advise you stick build. Back off the square footage, don't finish the basement...there are ways to stretch cost. Also, don't let anyone sweet talk you into the new line "that modular homes are built better today than in the past". Complete lie.

And your qualifications for this statement are?

I have an aunt and uncle who went modular and had zero problems, still living in it 20 years later, no major issues.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
All American Homes, look them up there are several all around Iowa, I believe in Urbandale etc. I looked at them In Forest City a few years ago. Have really nice floor plans and do not have the feel of a "modular" home. very nice quality and fit and finish. Just do a search for builders in your area they will give you several choices.
http://www.allamericanhomes.com/

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
All American Homes, look them up there are several all around Iowa, I believe in Urbandale etc. I looked at them In Forest City a few years ago. Have really nice floor plans and do not have the feel of a "modular" home. very nice quality and fit and finish. Just do a search for builders in your area they will give you several choices.

Also an Iowa company, their factory is in Dyersville.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Our first home was modular and it sucked big ol balls, everything in that house was nonstandard and stupid.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
And your qualifications for this statement are?

I have an aunt and uncle who went modular and had zero problems, still living in it 20 years later, no major issues.

My qualifications are that I built a stick built house, did a lot of research on modulars before I built. And most importantly, I've been in multiple modular homes and every single one to a tee are junk. In-laws put a modular on their farm about 20 years ago and it is totally junk. Great farm, wonderful view and they are dumping money left and right in that modular home and you still can never hide the look of a modular. Cheap, obviously built in a big shed. Friend of mine went modular about 5 years ago, I tried to talk him out of it. Needless to say we've had conversations that he wished he'd listened to me. Just not a quality home and the price was very close to my quality stick built. By all means I've got no skin in this game concerning this guy...I'm really trying to make him dodge a serious bullet because I'm a fellow Cyclone fan.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012

The main difference between a stick built house and modular is that a modular is built in a controlled environment (inside). They can be every bit as good (or better) than stick built homes.

A lot of people confused modular and manufactured homes.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
My qualifications are that I built a stick built house, did a lot of research on modulars before I built. And most importantly, I've been in multiple modular homes and every single one to a tee are junk. In-laws put a modular on their farm about 20 years ago and it is totally junk. Great farm, wonderful view and they are dumping money left and right in that modular home and you still can never hide the look of a modular. Cheap, obviously built in a big shed. Friend of mine went modular about 5 years ago, I tried to talk him out of it. Needless to say we've had conversations that he wished he'd listened to me. Just not a quality home and the price was very close to my quality stick built. By all means I've got no skin in this game concerning this guy...I'm really trying to make him dodge a serious bullet because I'm a fellow Cyclone fan.

Again depends on the house. But the bolded statement tells me that you didn't do enough research. There are plenty of modular homes that can be tough to tell the difference just by a looking at it.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Just do a google image search for "modular home", and skip all the houses that look like trailers since those are all manufactured homes. A lot of really good looking homes.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
The main difference between a stick built house and modular is that a modular is built in a controlled environment (inside). They can be every bit as good (or better) than stick built homes.

A lot of people confused modular and manufactured homes.

<<This .....Some folks will elevate a 'manufactured' home and set it under a crawl space and/or a drive under garage. Essentially putting a lot of lipstick on a pig....that has a VIN number

When they try to refinance their "mtg" from Greentree Financial >> into a conventional--the nightmare begins

Modular much better, but I would go to a STICK BUILT. suck it up and don't get wrapped up in the factory tour of the modular company, and their salesman

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It does seem like there's a lot of confusion between modular and manufactured.

Since there's confusion would that hurt the marketability when a person goes to sell the property?

JoshTheCyclone

Feb 4, 2012
Fort Dodge

I'm actually a dealer of All American Homes, feel free to pm me if you've got some questions. I'm in enemy territory (Iowa City) as my fathers having surgery at the hospital here tomorrow. Here until at least saturday morning so I may not reply quickly since I wont have my computer on me as I generally would at home.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
It does seem like there's a lot of confusion between modular and manufactured.

Since there's confusion would that hurt the marketability when a person goes to sell the property?

That's actually a really good question. One interesting thing about that is that Fannie and Freddie consider both modular and stick built homes as the same quality, and they don't distinguish between the two in their policies. And as far as I know there is no question on the disclosure statement that specifically asks "Is this a stick built vs modular". So my guess would be that in a lot of situations a prospective buyer may not even know.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
That's actually a really good question. One interesting thing about that is that Fannie and Freddie consider both modular and stick built homes as the same quality, and they don't distinguish between the two in their policies. And as far as I know there is no question on the disclosure statement that specifically asks "Is this a stick built vs modular". So my guess would be that in a lot of situations a prospective buyer may not even know.

The Fannie Selling Guide seems to say the Appraiser must be aware of the features that affect the quality of the modular home and include in the appraisal if needed to support the value.

It also seems to say the appraisal must address the marketability and comparability of modular homes.

If that's the case then any marketability and/or quality issues would be addressed with the appraisal.

Of course I'm reading this on about a 2 point font from a cell phone so I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
The Fannie Selling Guide seems to say the Appraiser must be aware of the features that affect the quality of the modular home and include in the appraisal if needed to support the value.

It also seems to say the appraisal must address the marketability and comparability of modular homes.

If that's the case then any marketability and/or quality issues would be addressed with the appraisal.

Of course I'm reading this on about a 2 point font from a cell phone so I could be wrong.

Not really.

The first sentence just says that the appraiser must be "aware". Typical gov't vagueness. Yeah ok, I'm sure the appraiser is aware.....check.

The second sentence doesn't actually say that the appraiser has to use other modular homes as comps, it says it has to address the comparability and marketability. So unless the house was built badly.....that's a check too.

If the person that is buying isn't fully aware that the house is a modular home, he would be though if they chose to read the appraisal.....

Last edited:

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
As much as I have defended modular homes in this thread. The point that Knappshack raised regarding marketability to sell the house is probably the main issue that I personally would have to cause me not to buy one. Even though it's undeserved, there is no question that there is a negative stigma associated with these type of homes.