Iowa State the place to be.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Back home this past weekend and reading a special section in the W'loo Courier about where the top HS students in NE IA are heading to school in fall and the % heading to ISU was a lot higher than I remember it being in the past.
Then this morning I see a Dowling tweet that 98 grads are headed from their to ISU in the fall and the next closest is IA with 36.
I like the trend.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
It definitely makes sense. I don't know what parent would send their child to that **** hole in Iowa City.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Crap. I thought this was going to be another awesome video.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I thought I heard more Linn-Mar grads are now going to ISU than Iowa.

At crwash when I graduated it was Iowa then probably luther then probably uni then ISU. I think the younger grades it's definitely shifted to ISU being ahead of UNI.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

I heard this is true as well, and my former Cedar Rapids-area high school also sends more students to ISU than Iowa as well.

Then again, outside of Iowa City high schools, that is expected to be the case. 2/3rds of ISU undergraduates are Iowa residents compared to 1/2 for UI.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
With hundreds of grads from each CR area school going to ISU they should just rename Highway 30 between CR and Ames after Iowa State.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
With hundreds of grads from each CR area school going to ISU they should just rename Highway 30 between CR and Ames after Iowa State.

The extension of Highway 100 out to Highway 30 is going to make it much easier to get to Ames from CR.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Back home this past weekend and reading a special section in the W'loo Courier about where the top HS students in NE IA are heading to school in fall and the % heading to ISU was a lot higher than I remember it being in the past.
Then this morning I see a Dowling tweet that 98 grads are headed from their to ISU in the fall and the next closest is IA with 36.
I like the trend.
Not surprising since most UI students are from Illinois. Boggles my mind how Iowa is considered by many to be the dominant university when far more Iowa natives attend and benefit from ISU.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. We're in the Linn-Mar district. My kids aren't high school age yet but several of their friends with older siblings, TONS of them are going to ISU. I don't know if it's for engineering or what. Our next door neighbor was on the L-M robotics team that just competed at nationals and he's been an ISU academic "commit" since about age 10. The two houses on the other side of us BOTH have kids in the marching band with siblings following behind them on the same path.

At crwash when I graduated it was Iowa then probably luther then probably uni then ISU. I think the younger grades it's definitely shifted to ISU being ahead of UNI.
That may have been the perception but I don't think it was the reality. Back in the 80's President Eaton cited a demographic study that found there were more ISU grads in Linn County than all other schools COMBINED. A lot of those were probably engineers who relocated here to work at Rockwell after graduation but I have to assume a pretty significant percentage of those were natives as well.

The extension of Highway 100 out to Highway 30 is going to make it much easier to get to Ames from CR.
Not just CR, how about Marion!

Last edited:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Silly question but shouldn't we want more out of state kids because they pay more tuition? FTR I was out of state and paid a boatload.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Well obviously Rockwell being in cedar rapids draws a ton of engineers. Doesn't necessarily mean they're cedar rapids kids going to ISU. My senior class probably had 10 kids go to ISU.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Silly question but shouldn't we want more out of state kids because they pay more tuition? FTR I was out of state and paid a boatload.

It's good to have a balance, but I think the answer to that question ultimately depends on what you think the mission of state universities should be. Seems to me that "rake in the highest amount of tuition dollars possible" probably shouldn't be goal #1.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

No. One way to assure threatened cuts in funding for higher ed is for rural legislators to determine that state tax dollars are funding schools who aren't educating large population of Iowans as part of their total enrollment. If I'm not mistaken, U of I is under some pressure now due to this. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, just reality.