ISU to host Stanford, FSU in AVCA Showcase

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Wow.

Not to be a pessimist, but entirely possible/likely to start the season off with two losses at home :sad:

Or really start off on a great note - but either way the competition will serve them well later in the year.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hoping we are "worse" hosts for volleyball than we were for basketball! We gave that game to FSU and never got to face Stanford.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
It's an interesting format. Nebraska hosts the same teams on opposite days.

Friday night is Stanford at ISU, and FSU at Neb.

Sunday is FSU at ISU, and Stanford at Neb.

While Stanford will be extremely tough as the opening match of the season, it might be just enough to get us going for a win against FSU. After all, FSU will face a tough one at Neb to open.

In any case, it should be a lot of fun to watch.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
This is huge! Even with a 'down' year last year, there is plenty to be excited about for next season. Plenty of young hitters. I'm worried about setting and libero but I think we'll be pleasantly surprised. CJL keeps this train a rollin'.

I hope we go 2-0 obviously but I'd be pleased with a weekend split with the returner those 2 teams have coming back.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This is huge! Even with a 'down' year last year, there is plenty to be excited about for next season. Plenty of young hitters. I'm worried about setting and libero but I think we'll be pleasantly surprised. CJL keeps this train a rollin'.

I hope we go 2-0 obviously but I'd be pleased with a weekend split with the returner those 2 teams have coming back.
I agree, and I think opening the season with a team like Stanford escalates the summer training intensity - whether it be conditioning or scrimmaging. It sure would with me..

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I dont care if we lose. Just getting teams like thus in Hilton elevates this program. Fennelly, are u paying attention?

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
It's an interesting format. Nebraska hosts the same teams on opposite days.

Friday night is Stanford at ISU, and FSU at Neb.

Sunday is FSU at ISU, and Stanford at Neb.

While Stanford will be extremely tough as the opening match of the season, it might be just enough to get us going for a win against FSU. After all, FSU will face a tough one at Neb to open.

In any case, it should be a lot of fun to watch.

Assuming Lee's Summit West (MO) HS Lori Hanaway doesn't have a game, I would expect her to be there to watch her two former MBs go against each other. Tori Hurtt won four state championships under her tutelage at O'Hara HS, then she went over and coached Stanford's Megan Megehee to a runner-up finish the next year at West.