Influential people or not?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
My wife is a teacher so we talk a lot about how teachers influence their students. I have spent days thinking about specific life lessons I can remember from specific teachers but can't remember any. I can remember educational things like math and language arts but no "life lessons". My parents were of far greater influence in my childhood. FYI I went to Catholic school K-12th grade.

Do you recall any influence your teachers had on you?

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I learned a life lesson from my high school math teach when I thought it would be a good idea to drench him with my car while he was walking next to a puddle after school.

Don't drench teachers next to puddles with cars.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My wife is a teacher so we talk a lot about how teachers influence their students. I have spent days thinking about specific life lessons I can remember from specific teachers but can't remember any. I can remember educational things like math and language arts but no "life lessons". My parents were of far greater influence in my childhood. FYI I went to Catholic school K-12th grade.

That's a good question. I had teachers who I very much admired - taught me about their own good work ethics, how to be an effective public speaker, the importance of different skills. I don't know if those qualify as life lessons, though.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
My Mom was a teacher and I learned a life lesson from her: When discussing salaries, never point out teachers only work 9 months out of the year.:realmad:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
That's a good question. I had teachers who I very much admired - taught me about their own good work ethics, how to be an effective public speaker, the importance of different skills. I don't know if those qualify as life lessons, though.
Id say that definitely would count.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
But isn't that why every young person is a liberal. Indoctrination.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I learned a life lesson from my high school math teach when I thought it would be a good idea to drench him with my car while he was walking next to a puddle after school.

Don't drench teachers next to puddles with cars.

You should probably finish that story :wink:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

They influenced me to not become a teacher lol

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Man, I thought this was going to be a "random post a picture of some random person" and see if they are influential or not?

Brutus%20Beefcake%20b.jpg

Ex. Brutus Beefcake - was he influential?

I would say... no. I mean, people were using scissors before him.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I was fortunate (and sometimes UNfortunate) enough to have parents who were actively involved in all aspects of my childhood. Most of my life lessons learned came from them. However, I did have several teachers who I admired and even loved.

The elementary teacher I had in both 3rd & 5th grade encouraged my interest in math, and helped a lot with my self-esteem (I developed early, mentally and physically...that can really make you a target in elementary school).

A choir director in high school was the affectionate dad that my father was not. Don't get me wrong - I never doubted Daddy's love...he just wasn't all that good at praise, and sometimes it left me feeling that nothing I ever did was good enough. Jack the Bear (named for his bear hugs, now taboo in these modern times) treated us all as his kids, and was equally good at praising and critiquing...both of which were frequently accompanied by the afore-mentioned bear hug.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Man, I thought this was going to be a "random post a picture of some random person" and see if they are influential or not?

I think this one qualifies as a definitive NOT!!!

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I learned some great life and academic lessons from some teachers. Looking back, sometimes they were the ones I didn't like at the time. Others, I didn't learn much of anything from.

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines

He influenced me NOT to name my kid Brutus!

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I've had a few influential teachers.

4th grade teacher showed me that the way to get my dad to parent teacher conferences was to have a hot teacher. :wink:

High school English teacher who was also a psychologist or psychiatrist (I don't know the difference) taught me how I learn and how to harness that.

A different high school English teacher taught me that if you don't want to look like a moron, use proper grammar and spelling, and that being strict, but honest and caring is truly sometimes the most caring thing a person can do, even if we think we'd rather have people let things go.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron