Friday OT - Hero?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Did you ever do anything that sort of made you feel like a hero? Or did someone ever do something for you that was heroic?

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I have performed the Heimlich maneuver 3 times. 1 time on my kid and twice on total strangers in a resturant. I have also did mouth to mouth on a girl at a swimming pool (indoor Waterpark) after she went under. She spit up in my mouth and ended up ok. Not really heroic just something I learned while I was in the Marines that has came in handy a few times.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Did you ever do anything that sort of made you feel like a hero? Or did something ever do something for you that was heroic?

I wouldn't say my actions made me feel heroic as I think my definition of hero is elevated. I felt like I was supposed to help, supposed to step up and save a life. But proud of how I reacted ....

There were two times ... once saving a friends life that was suicidal and another time running into the path of a runaway car (1-2 seconds to spare) to save a young person (8ish?).

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
A stranger and I kept a dude on the l from beating the hell out of his very pregnant significant other.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Holy hell I wish my paramedic friend was on this board. Long story short, we had a drunk girlfriend at a party one night, 5 years ago refer to him as a hero. We haven't let it go since, every chance we get we remind him that he is our hero. If you happen to get emt services in Boone county from a skinny dude with beautiful long blonde hair, make sure to tell him that he's your hero.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
I saved a bunch of little girls in Rapture. It was such a heroic deed that they made a video game about me. :rolleyes:

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
yes. I have done a great deal of good for a large number of people, but they mostly don't realize it.

And no. Not when it counted for me.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I have performed the Heimlich maneuver 3 times. 1 time on my kid and twice on total strangers in a resturant. I have also did mouth to mouth on a girl at a swimming pool (indoor Waterpark) after she went under. She spit up in my mouth and ended up ok. Not really heroic just something I learned while I was in the Marines that has came in handy a few times.

I cant decide whether or not I should eat around you. Choking seems to follow you around. =)

Seriously though, thats awesome that you were there. Thats pretty heroic **** in my eyes. Lots of people freeze in those situations.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I cant decide whether or not I should eat around you. Choking seems to follow you around. =)

Seriously though, thats awesome that you were there. Thats pretty heroic **** in my eyes. Lots of people freeze in those situations.

Please tell me you've watched this movie or read the book off of which it is based:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024715/

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
I have performed CPR on multiple occasions to varying outcomes. Saved a 2 year old kid that suffered a traumatic injury that caused his heart to stop.

Also, I have pulled an old man out of a burning building. He was in his 90s and wasn't able to move very well and was trying to evacuate the building.

Those are the two that I remember, but being a Firefighter/EMT I help people every day. Just not to a heroic status.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Its sitting on my computer at home. I havent had a chance yet!

Sam Rockwell does a really great job with the lead, he's definitely an antihero.

I don't know if I've done anything all that heroic. I did finish the first two Fables and all three Mass Effects as a paragon...

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

Yeah my wife says the same thing and I actually agree.