Next Big Facility Upgrade

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Now that the South Endzone plans are set in stone; what is the next big facility upgrade at Iowa State?

Ideas (in no particular order, and not limited to):
1) Hilton Renovation
2) New Suite/Press Tower from endzone to endzone
3) North Endzone
4) Smaller gym for Wrestling/Volleyball/Hockey/Gymnastics

Last edited:

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Now that the South Endzone plans are set in stone; what is the next big facility upgrade at Iowa State?

1) Hilton Renovation
3) North Endzone

Dead set opposed to this.

You don't mess with perfection.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
The pressbox is not getting extended (anytime soon). From what I understand, the plan is to renovate the interior.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Find some way to add suites to Hilton. Best way to pay for Fred's future raises.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014

1) Hilton Renovation
3) North Endzone
what's wrong with the NEZ

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
See: Crisler Center at Michigan.

They took their arena (from the same era) and updated it while maintaining the overall feel and integrity.

Don't care. Nothing is wrong with Hilton

Hilton > Chrisler Arena

Why do we have to mess with everything? This fan-base is the epitome of never-freaking-happy.

Again, caviar appetite on taco truck budget.

In fact - I don't see a thing on that list that is any sort of priority. Perhaps a renovation of the pressbox - but in no way, shape or form end-to-end.

Volleyball owns Hilton now that bball has their own facility. Wrestling has their own recently renovated space in Lied.

Why does the AD care about hockey?

As for the NEZ - let's get the SEZ done and see if it gets and stays filled.

Last edited:

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
My vote would be for a wrestling and volleyball facility. Something like an updated version of Nebraska's old Coliseum that they used for volleyball.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
My vote would be for a wrestling and volleyball facility. Something like an updated version of Nebraska's old Coliseum that they used for volleyball.

Please tell me you're not serious. I'd back the return of a baseball team that no one cared about before throwing money down the drain at something like that.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Baseball?

Honestly - I would rather see something like this than alot of other money where it isn't really needed. And I'm one who wasn't broken hearted over losing baseball in the first place.

Just was looking at Big12sports.com to see what sports we don't have that the rest of the conference does....

How does one of the top veterinarian schools in the country not have an equestrian team, when 4 other schools (OSU, KSU, TCU, Baylor) do? Shouldn't we dominate at that?

:jimlad: (but not completely)

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Don't care. Nothing is wrong with Hilton

Hilton > Chrisler Arena

Why do we have to mess with everything? This fan-base is the epitome of never-freaking-happy.

Again, caviar appetite on taco truck budget.

In fact - I don't see a thing on that list that is any sort of priority. Perhaps a renovation of the pressbox - but in no way, shape or form end-to-end.

Volleyball owns Hilton now that bball has their own facility. Wrestling has their own recently renovated space in Lied.

Why does the AD care about hockey?

As for the NEZ - let's get the SEZ done and see if it gets and stays filled.

Because its a never-ending facilities arms race.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

1) Hilton Renovation
3) North Endzone

I agree with the other three sports listed. But Hockey? We don't have a varsity Hockey team and even if we did that's a completely different type of building needed.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Because its a never-ending facilities arms race.

I guess I didn't realize we were suffering so bad in BBall.

And it really seems that that "need" to do many of these facility "upgrades" is driven not by competitiveness, but rather by fans desire..

Although I do admit - as someone pointed out - the exterior of Hilton, specifically the walkways, are in dire need of repair. Things like that I can get behind.

But I go back 25 years of this stuff - and some of the ideas floated about (widening the concourse, adding luxury suites and that type of stuff) are just dumb IMO.

The plans (I believe under BVD, maybe JP) for suites involved eliminating the inner concourse and having to move the steps to the upper deck to be accessible from the outer concourse. Can you imagine how horrid that would be?

I think what makes Hilton so special and daunting is that it's still just a basketball arena. Not a spectacle. Same with Phog Allen.

We have a scoreboard (that actually has a score), a nice ribbon board for stats, two baskets and a wooden floor. And in the end, a kick-*** basketball team.

= Happy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron