Mudjacking - Possibility?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The approach to my garage has sunk on the edge that approaches the garage by 3 to 4 inches. I have been told mudjacking is economical and because of this is my preferred method of repair.

The slabs of concrete that run along the approach (both have sunk) are about 6 feet wide. The concern I have is that each slab is only about 2 feet from front of slab to garage entrance. Would this slab be too narrow to mudjack? It only needs to be lifted on the edge that runs along the garage entrance.

Possible? Not enough info?

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
How old is home / driveway? Mudjacking / concrete leveling will only work IF what the "mud" will be pushing against (soil) is stable enough.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Not entirely sure of your question, but if you're asking about mudjacking and proximity, my mom had some of her sidewalk sections jacked last summer and I was very pleased with it.

Just one section had dropped and it didn't appear to affect the adjoining slab when they lifted it.

And it did seem reasonably priced. Enough so that we're looking at doing some other jobs in the driveway where the base had eroded away.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
My in-laws had it done to the sidewalk leading from their driveway to the front door of their home with excellent results.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I also had this done on the sidewalk from my driveway to the front door, as well as the steps and small porch in front of the door. The work was done two years ago and so far seems to be holding up well, and the price wasn't too bad.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Had this done on my driveway four years ago and it still looks great. Driveway is two-car driveway so good sized section. It did shift a bit this winter, but once it warms up, I expect it to settle back where it was when they fixed it four years ago.

CycloneKC

Jan 13, 2010
Mudjacking does not address the underlying problem . The pavement is most likely sinking due to the presence of subsurface water. The solution probably is you need to find a way to get water draining away from the pavement which is most likely causing the base to deteriorate and settle.

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
The home is 12 years old.

Has this settlement been there a while, or are you just starting to notice it? If you are just starting to see the settlement, see CycloneKC's comment above. If it's been there a while, good chance the footing/foundation was poorly compacted when backfilled, thus causing the settlement in the area where the driveway meets the garage floor. As the other's have said, mudjacking is a good solution.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Has this settlement been there a while, or are you just starting to notice it? If you are just starting to see the settlement, see CycloneKC's comment above. If it's been there a while, good chance the footing/foundation was poorly compacted when backfilled, thus causing the settlement in the area where the driveway meets the garage floor. As the other's have said, mudjacking is a good solution.

It has been there awhile and seems to have gradually dropped. I appreciate the information and advice. Hopefully the estimates I have scheduled are "reasonable"! This is not an expense I am excited about!

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
It has been there awhile and seems to have gradually dropped. I appreciate the information and advice. Hopefully the estimates I have scheduled are "reasonable"! This is not an expense I am excited about!

Definitely get more than one estimate. I had this done last year prior to selling my house - three pads needed some shuffling and underneath my patio stairs where much of the soil had just run out from where it was exposed. First estimate was a neighbor referral, they wanted $1400 to do it. The next two companies that came out were both right around $800 so I took the one that could do it first.

It looked perfect when it was done if you can handle some mismatched hole spots in your concrete. I moved so I can't tell you how it held up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron