Mother's day weather thread

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Was he doubting the authenticity of the photo or that it was a tornado the guy got a photo of?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
It took 15 minutes of watching for me to notice that WHO switched over to Outdoorsman With Buck McNeely. He's an interesting dude.

13 went strong for over an hour with no break.....

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
As a side note, how is it that an entity whose only job is to cover the weather be so terrible at all things related to covering the weather? Weather channel website and app both suck so many balls.

What was wrong with the Weather Channels coverage? I thought it was awesome, Cantore in the studio and Siedel in Johnston was great. I was flipping back and forth between TWC and 13 and thought both did a great job.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
What was wrong with the Weather Channels coverage? I thought it was awesome, Cantore in the studio and Siedel in Johnston was great. I was flipping back and forth between TWC and 13 and thought both did a great job.
Notice I said the website and the app.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Notice I said the website and the app.

I never use the website.

Only problem I have with the app is the radar. It just doesn't resize or refresh worth a damn. Of course - during storms like last night - that's a pretty big deal.

What do people use for Weather apps. That radar thing has really turned me off Weather channel. Yahoo's weather radar is even worse.

Been trying out weathercaster the last few days. Not too bad, but alot of sub-panels on the iphone app. And somewhat slow loading. Not sure if there's a paid, no-ad version. Are severe weather alerts

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I was flipping between 8 and 13.

8 seemed to do a better job of zooming in and focusing more on potential tornado's. Then all off a sudden right before the tornado warnings in Johnston start sounding 8 decides it's a good time to do some regular news. WTF

13 did a good job and I like their app better. They also seem to dumb it down for the 95% of the world (including me) that don't get impressed when you start rattling off a bunch of meteorologic terms/conditions.

5 They are just getting word that a storm is moving in from Nebraska last night.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I never use the website.

Only problem I have with the app is the radar. It just doesn't resize or refresh worth a damn. Of course - during storms like last night - that's a pretty big deal.

What do people use for Weather apps. That radar thing has really turned me off Weather channel. Yahoo's weather radar is even worse.

Been trying out weathercaster the last few days. Not too bad, but alot of sub-panels on the iphone app. And somewhat slow loading. Not sure if there's a paid, no-ad version. Are severe weather alerts
The radar was my main problem with the app as well. Last night I downloaded the Weather Underground app and it seems promising, I also bought the NOAA Hi-Def Radar app, it was like $1.99.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I was flipping between 8 and 13.

8 seemed to do a better job of zooming in and focusing more on potential tornado's. Then all off a sudden right before the tornado warnings in Johnston start sounding 8 decides it's a good time to do some regular news. WTF

13 did a good job and I like their app better. They also seem to dumb it down for the 95% of the world (including me) that don't get impressed when you start rattling off a bunch of meteorologic terms/conditions.

5 They are just getting word that a storm is moving in from Nebraska last night.

LOL -

I've lived in DSM or 20 years now. +5 up at ISU. And WOI has been horrible that whole time. How can that be? 3rd always, maybe 4th behind IPTV half the time. Now with KDSM and a few others, they may be falling farther.

It's like a news version of Wayne's World. Has the feel like I could go out to my garage and find 5 people putting on a news broadcast.

You'd think at some point they'd find an infusion of cash and up the game a bit.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
RadarScope is hands down the best radar app. It is $10 but totally worth it especially if you know what you are doing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron