Who was your greatest dog ever?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Mine was Lucky Lee, a border collie. Great cow dog and he wouldn't let my brother ride my bike or use the sled when I wanted it.

[video=youtube_share;WWg7-AfoLAY]http://youtu.be/WWg7-AfoLAY[/video]

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
300.jackson.randy.lc.080310.jpg

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Probably our border collie/beagle mix that we got as a pup right after we moved to our farm. He was always getting into trouble on his own and with us kids. The last time I was home, the two much younger dogs gave up coming with me on my run, but old Stanley kept trucking along. He would stop my mom from walking in areas that probably had wolves/coyotes/cougars and used to ride along in the tractors or trucks.

He was supposed to be a cowdog, but he much preferred just riding on the 4-wheeler with me and then jumping off if I really, really asked him nicely, haha.

He passed away about a month ago, just about to his 14th birthday. Our other two current farm dogs are great and I hope to have a dog of my own someday, but Stanley will always have a special place since he was our first "real" pet.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
We've had three dogs since we've been married and of course I love them all but we have a Beagle right now named Stella that can just do no wrong in my eyes. She is the sweetest, most lovable thing on the planet! And she doesn't bark or howl like a lot of Beagles do.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Phoebe, my beagle who passed away last year. Just the kindest dog. When we got a kitten, she would cuddle with it. She caught a squirrel once and didn't try to kill it, but did laying on it (I think it might have had a heart attack).

When I got married, my wife's dog was an only child and really shy of other dogs. He would nip her from time to time when she got too close, and take toys away from her (even though she was 30 lbs and he was 8 lbs), and she would never retaliate. All she wanted was to be near him. Just a great dog.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I've resigned to the fact that I'm not a dog person. I don't mind them, but I have no desire to really own one.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Scamper, a red standard dachshund. He is one of my earliest memories. We got him when I was three, and I remember sitting at the kitchen table deciding on a name for him while he scampered around the back yard. He tangled with prickly pears in Texas, successfully hunted the rabbit our next-door neighbors bought for their daughters one Easter (ooops...), tiptoed with his gut sucked up as high as he could when he had to pee in the snow, and slept in a basket beside my bed. He was pretty old by the time I got to high school. He had cataracts which impaired his depth perception. The one-inch difference in height between the front walk and the driveway must have looked like a cliff to him...he would stand at the junction and shiver, then take a mighty leap only land much quicker than he expected, and plow forward on his chest. I think he was learning impaired, because he made that same leap over and over...

He had gastronomic issues that made his stomach rumble, loudly. He also farted...a LOT. Fortunately, little odor associated with that. Freshman year when I came home at Thanksgiving, I found out that my parents had taken him in and had him put down (he was 16). They thought it best not to tell me until I came home. I disagree with that choice; always have.

Funny thing - I could sleep just fine in a frequently noisy environment in my dorm. I don't think I slept much at all during that break. My bedroom was too quiet.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We currently have a golden retriever named Jack (Trice) and I can't imagine a better dog. Loving, loyal, kind to every animal and person, spunky amd caring. A couple of weeks ago one of my wife's day care kids was missing his parents since they had been out of town that week. They boy just laid on the floor crying at naptime and Jack just went and laid down right next to him.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Scamper, a red standard dachshund. He is one of my earliest memories. We got him when I was three, and I remember sitting at the kitchen table deciding on a name for him while he scampered around the back yard. He tangled with prickly pears in Texas, successfully hunted the rabbit our next-door neighbors bought for their daughters one Easter (ooops...), tiptoed with his gut sucked up as high as he could when he had to pee in the snow, and slept in a basket beside my bed. He was pretty old by the time I got to high school. He had cataracts which impaired his depth perception. The one-inch difference in height between the front walk and the driveway must have looked like a cliff to him...he would stand at the junction and shiver, then take a mighty leap only land much quicker than he expected, and plow forward on his chest. I think he was learning impaired, because he made that same leap over and over...

He had gastronomic issues that made his stomach rumble, loudly. He also farted...a LOT. Fortunately, little odor associated with that. Freshman year when I came home at Thanksgiving, I found out that my parents had taken him in and had him put down (he was 16). They thought it best not to tell me until I came home. I disagree with that choice; always have.

Funny thing - I could sleep just fine in a frequently noisy environment in my dorm. I don't think I slept much at all during that break. My bedroom was too quiet.

My parents did that with one of my pet cows. I'm still not sure how they thought that would go over well. I was there when she was born, I damn well could have been there at the end.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Notice how in most favorite threads, it's either your first (or early childhood nostalgia for non-first things), or current things.

So here it's either your first dog, or current dog, for the most part.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I've only had one dog in my life, Jack the JRT. We had to put him down because he bit someone. But he did run 3 coyotes out of town

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Notice how in most favorite threads, it's either your first (or early childhood nostalgia for non-first things), or current things.

So here it's either your first dog, or current dog, for the most part.

Actually, my dog Lucky was preceded by Dusty.

But Dusty was grouchy and he once killed a cat at the cat dish right in front of my four-year-old eyes. So, he was not my pal.

Don't have a current dog. We have enough trouble keeping the neighbor dogs off our property. Wouldn't do to have to tie ours up while others ran free and came over to taunt him.

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
Awww this brings back memories of my dog, I never got to say goodbye to her because she got really sick when I was up in Canada and they had to put her down. Sucks a lot.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I've had dogs all my life-- just put my last one to sleep this January. My favorite was Jes, a yellow lab I got as a wedding present from one of my hunting partners. She had a great nose for pheasants, and loved to duck hunt. She would retrieve ducks well, but really didn't like them in her mouth, so she'd always grab a wing.

One time I took her on a camping trip with a bunch of buddies. She went around the fire and "accidently" knocked over people's beers, then lapped them up.

But the best thing about her was how she acted with our girls. My oldest used to ride her like a horse when she was little.

She developed a disease called mega-esophagus (I think), and it got to the point one night that I watched her drink a bunch of water, throw it all up, and go right back to the bowl for more. I put her to sleep the next day, and bawled like a baby on the way home. She was 12.

Last edited:

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Molly! She is the sweetest dog, everyone's friend no matter what, and will never stop chasing the ball so long as you keep throwing it.

10308352_569338315527_1457145306559023825_n.jpg