Keeping Dogs off Property (yes it is the offseason)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Re: Keeping Dogs off Propery (yes it is the offseason)

Why should I (or the OP) have to clean up somebody else's dog s**t?

That's the thing- you don't have to! It's not nuclear waste- it's not going to kill anyone. It's part of the "deal" when you live in town. I have had dogs crap in my yard before, am I happy about it- hell no, but you know what- I deal with it like an adult and move on with my life. It's really not that hard! If you absolutely can't handle it- move to the country!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

You could write them a note, but make sure that you spell the words correctly.

Look at the smart guy!

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Propery.....

Or it could be a very formal religious sort of thing.
With such an egregious spelling error it's no wonder the dogs don't respect him enough to stay off his lawn.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Funny-Dogs-Pictures.jpg

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
There's a spray (or powder, can't remember) you can buy that's supposed to 'discourage' dogs from entering an area. We tried it with our dog and our garden. It didn't work in our case but might be worth a shot.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
There's a spray (or powder, can't remember) you can buy that's supposed to 'discourage' dogs from entering an area. We tried it with our dog and our garden. It didn't work in our case but might be worth a shot.

Yeah, I read about it. It is called liquid fence, or something similar which is supposed to mask smells. Not sure if it would actually work, and this hasn't been an ongoing problem yet. The psychology of it is interesting to me as people react very intensely to this issue. You'd think I was discussing bikes on the road or speeding cameras.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

That's the thing- you don't have to! It's not nuclear waste- it's not going to kill anyone. It's part of the "deal" when you live in town. I have had dogs crap in my yard before, am I happy about it- hell no, but you know what- I deal with it like an adult and move on with my life. It's really not that hard! If you absolutely can't handle it- move to the country!

some of the stuff in this link is a bit alarmist, but it has many of the reasons that I would be ****** off at people leaving their dogs' **** in my yard. Especially since the dog owners who are irresponsible about picking up after their pet are probably more likely to be less vigilant about things like regular worming. I don't know if Linden has young kids who play out in his yard or not, but I would not be thrilled about the prospect of my kids getting hookworms.

http://dogtalk101.blogspot.com/2010/01/facts-about-dangers-of-dog-poop.html

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
We have 2 dogs, we always have at least 3 bags on us and always pick up after them. We have lived in 5 different towns in the past 5 or so years (5 states) for that matter. I would say the best one so far in terms of neighbors respecting neighbors-poop issues, has been Madison, WI. They require sidewalks scooped within 24 hours of snow fall or a ticket, and I haven't found a turd in my yard yet (live on a corner lot).

If you really want to discourage the dogs on your yard, put up a sign. I have seen them before, as a dog owner I always think that person with the sign is an a-hole and probably has 15-20 cats. But at least when I see a sign like that I just simply walk on the other side of the road.

I agree stepping on a turd sucks, but I grew up on a farm, my brother and I would get in all out brawls in the middle of cleaning the barn so I have been in worse. Good luck with your issues, hope posting on here has restrained you from doing something you would regret :)

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Yeah, I read about it. It is called liquid fence, or something similar which is supposed to mask smells. Not sure if it would actually work, and this hasn't been an ongoing problem yet. The psychology of it is interesting to me as people react very intensely to this issue. You'd think I was discussing bikes on the road or speeding cameras.

Meh...is offseason...the people who get all worked up about Royce's sweat output or how some media person insulted our poor cyclones need something to get all worked up about. As I get older, I've gotten better at identifying the people I encounter who seem to be walking around looking for reasons to be unhappy....and then I try and eliminate them from my life.

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
I have a golden lab, and as some of you have stated, there is sometimes surprising amounts of feces in her (I always bring two bags with me, but there was one three bag walk).
Anyway, I actually have a question about the bag of poop. The worst part isn't picking it up, it's having to carry it around. Would anyone here have a problem with the dog owner bagging up the mess and then going to the trashcan (assuming it's outside) to throw it away? I've never done this but it wouldn't bother me if someone used mine for this. Just wondering...

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I have a golden lab, and as some of you have stated, there is sometimes surprising amounts of feces in her (I always bring two bags with me, but there was one three bag walk).
Anyway, I actually have a question about the bag of poop. The worst part isn't picking it up, it's having to carry it around. Would anyone here have a problem with the dog owner bagging up the mess and then going to the trashcan (assuming it's outside) to throw it away? I've never done this but it wouldn't bother me if someone used mine for this. Just wondering...
If a dog owner threw that in my trash can I would most likely throw it back at the owner.

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
If a dog owner threw that in my trash can I would most likely throw it back at the owner.
Okay, that's what I suspected. Since I have a dog, it wouldn't bother me, but I figured it could bother others. That being said, it would be nice if there were more trash cans on bike trails.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Our normal route is down a street with schools on one side so there are three trash cans along the sidewalk before we get back into our neighborhood.

We have been known to throw it in the next can in the neighborhood the night before trash day. It is out of your house, I am not rummaging through your stuff and you are not paying by the ounce. Get over yourself.

I delivered newspaper' s in high school. I always laughed at the people that requested you not walk on their lawn. More power to you but it is your lawn not pebble beach.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Our normal route is down a street with schools on one side so there are three trash cans along the sidewalk before we get back into our neighborhood.

We have been known to throw it in the next can in the neighborhood the night before trash day. It is out of your house, I am not rummaging through your stuff and you are not paying by the ounce. Get over yourself.

I delivered newspaper' s in high school. I always laughed at the people that requested you not walk on their lawn. More power to you but it is your lawn not pebble beach.

Maybe they knew how much dog poop was on their lawn and they were advising you not to walk on their lawn.

:wink:

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa

some of the stuff in this link is a bit alarmist, but it has many of the reasons that I would be ****** off at people leaving their dogs' **** in my yard. Especially since the dog owners who are irresponsible about picking up after their pet are probably more likely to be less vigilant about things like regular worming. I don't know if Linden has young kids who play out in his yard or not, but I would not be thrilled about the prospect of my kids getting hookworms.

http://dogtalk101.blogspot.com/2010/01/facts-about-dangers-of-dog-poop.html

Yeah, I would say that blog is 'going to the ends'! I understand that those things exist and it 'could' be a problem, but I don't remember a time where I read in the newspaper or saw on tv someone- adult or child- got sick from dog poo.

All I am saying that if the OP is just worried about "a hazard we all face from time to time" (his words) there are probably 100 other things that he uses or does on a daily basis that is as or is more harmful to himself or his family than some poo in the yard "from time to time." Also I said in a previous post that- living in town you are prone to this happening "from time to time"- and the only way to 100% prevent it is living in the country.