Super Mario Bros.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Yesterday I played Super Mario Bros 1 for the first time in probably 20 years. I forgot how fun a simple game like this is to play.

What's the cheapest route to take to be able to play these types of games on a TV. Used Wii?

I have a PS3 hooked up to my projector so I'm not looking to make this my main gaming device. What sucks is I know I threw away a perfectly good SNES about 5 years ago.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
get a wii, download them through the virtual console. Unless you want to buy a used NES, but heck thats probably as much as the wii now for one in good condition, and you can do more with the wii.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
get a wii, download them through the virtual console. Unless you want to buy a used NES, but heck thats probably as much as the wii now for one in good condition, and you can do more with the wii.

Excellent info.

One other question. I know nothing about the Wii, it looks like it has some weird controller. Is it possible to hook up a normal old school controller?

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Yes and no. There is a more conventional controller for older games, but i believe it is wii specific.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Honestly I would just look into buying a NES or SNES, all other ways get you pretty close but just not quite the same as the original system with the original controllers. They're not that expensive, check craigslist or a used game store, I know Gamerz is Ames has them for sale.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
I have a modded xbox that lets me run any old console game on it. It is really simple to soft mod an xbox for this configuration.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Another option is use an emulator if you have a computer hooked up to your TV. The downside is it usually does take a little of time to configure everything correctly.

This is a picture of the classic Wii controller.
802563b.jpg

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've built a full sized MAME arcade machine a few years ago but have since sold it......That had so many of those good old games. I've been thinking about buying one of those Intel NUC's, maybe I should just do that and run some MAME software on it. This is how end up wasting money.:mad:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Honestly I would just look into buying a NES or SNES, all other ways get you pretty close but just not quite the same as the original system with the original controllers. They're not that expensive, check craigslist or a used game store, I know Gamerz is Ames has them for sale.

If I'm paling something like Super Mario Bros 1 would there be any different in picture quality between a SNES or Wii? I don't mind if it's not great but on a 46" screen I'm worried it will look terrible.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'd get a media pc and then just get emulators/roms for whatever system you want to play. Then go buy some usb controllers, i'm sure they make original nintendo lookalikes if you don't want a generic controller.

edit: I now have the urge to go play Metal Slug on my NeoGeo emulator.

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
I've built a full sized MAME arcade machine a few years ago but have since sold it......That had so many of those good old games. I've been thinking about buying one of those Intel NUC's, maybe I should just do that and run some MAME software on it. This is how end up wasting money.:mad:

I built a cabinet, too. So far all I've done is MAME. I need to set it up to run the NES and Atari 2600 emulators. Not sure if they make one for Commodore 64, but lots of good games there too.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

The good thing about the wii is you can actually save those old SMB games that on NES you had to beat in one playthrough, or else leave it on for days.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
The Wii has plug-ins on the top of the console that take Gamecube controllers. I use that for playing these old games. Now only if Nintendo offered Conquor's Bad Fur Day and Goldeneye (64 version) to be purchased for the Wii, I think I'd be set.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Bought a used one for $50 from Jay's CD in Valley West. They also have some good vinyl. Picked up the original white strips record.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
The Wii has plug-ins on the top of the console that take Gamecube controllers. I use that for playing these old games. Now only if Nintendo offered Conquor's Bad Fur Day and Goldeneye (64 version) to be purchased for the Wii, I think I'd be set.
Nintendo has nothing to do with those games getting on the vc. I also wouldn't hold my breath since Rare got bought by Microsoft. No way those games ever get rereleased.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Forgive my nerd-mode in advance…

NES and SNES software has actually gone through the roof in terms of collectors prices recently, unless you're buying from someone who doesn't know what they have, it probably isn't cheapest to buy real hardware and software for those two particular systems. Even some of the best selling software of all time like Super Mario 3 sell for high prices on ebay and used shops. Sega Genesis is a little more realistic to buy real hardware/software outside of a few niche titles and still easy to find.

100% legally I'm guessing a used Wii is the cheapest route for NES and SNES.

In the 'not quite legal' category handheld emulators like the CGW Zero (and other android based handheld emulators) are pretty awesome. I play mine all the time commuting. But these are rarely plug and play and almost never totally legal to play the games you'd want to play. http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/168f/

There are more and more home based consoles meant mainly for emulation, but in my experience the handhelds are better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron