Down on the Farm

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Knocking over a transmission tower would be an awfully expensive mistake to make.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
3163716204_d6d0b16979.jpg

how does this happen

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I thought I was going to be one of the insanely stuck pictures on here planting last spring. Hit 5 or 6 spots where it looked dry on top but was pure soup a couple inches down.

A lot of these have been around for awhile but I still laugh every time. That really wet corn standing up on that straight truck in North Dakota had to have been fun to get out.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I thought I was going to be one of the insanely stuck pictures on here planting last spring. Hit 5 or 6 spots where it looked dry on top but was pure soup a couple inches down.

A lot of these have been around for awhile but I still laugh every time. That really wet corn standing up on that straight truck in North Dakota had to have been fun to get out.

I would have been beyond ****** if that happened to me

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
My Dad's combine burned up a couple years ago and we have one cell phone picture snapped by a neighbor from when it was fully engulfed. That picture makes my blood run cold.

My Dad, who was 82 or 83 at the time, realized he was on fire while unloading the last round of beans at the end, next to a field of standing corn. He immediately took off, away from the neighbor's field. Since the fuel tank burned through on the end rows, he didn't make it too far before the fuel in the line hit zero. He stepped out of the cab as the flames licked him. It was too hot to reach back in to grab anything. He admitted to me the following day he had to jump from the platform, no time for the ladder because the fire was so hot. I spent the next day with him, getting the bean head unhooked as it only had minor damage, and general clean up of salvaged tools and dealing with insurance and new equipment acquisition discussion.

I took hundreds of pictures the next day of the burned up combine, and I have one half-melted light in my office as a reminder of how courage and crazy are sometimes inseparable.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
backing into something with a combine happens more than you think. As a kid my uncle backed a combine into a tractor I was in. Picked up the tractor to one side and shattered the glass in two of the windows on me.

Yup. Exact reason why we have rear and side view cameras on ours.

And a lot of those probably happened so fast that the operator really couldn't do much. Especially when slightly panicking.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yup. Exact reason why we have rear and side view cameras on ours.

And a lot of those probably happened so fast that the operator really couldn't do much. Especially when slightly panicking.

Not to mention there are probably fatigue issues involved with a lot of them. Farmers always put in their 8 hours then go into the house and rest - even during the harvest.

I just hope whoever put this together was fatigued as well. It is kind of embarrassing to have Iowa State's name on something with this bad of a mistake:

Yes, round bales can role down hill.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
My Dad's combine burned up a couple years ago and we have one cell phone picture snapped by a neighbor from when it was fully engulfed. That picture makes my blood run cold.

Combine fires suck to put out - so do bin and dryer fires.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The wonderful world of auto steer and taking a snooze probably caused a few of these.