Botched execution in Oklahoma

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'm confused. Dozens (probably more) people die every week from drug overdoses and we cannot figure you how to do it effectively?

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Doesn't bother me one bit. They deserve to suffer as much or more than their victims and the families of their victims.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Doesn't bother me one bit. They deserve to suffer as much or more than their victims and the families of their victims.

I was going to say..

who was convicted in 2000 of first-degree murder, rape, kidnapping and robbery.

I'm not for torture or vigilante justice or anything. But, ehhh...

I do feel bad for those who had to witness that, however.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007

I support the death penalty and if the person being executed suffers, oh well.

That being said, I still believe the government has to take the high road and make it as easy a death as possible. The purpose it's to get the person off the earth so no one else can be harmed by them. Learn from this and improve future executions so they can be more efficient.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I always thought the vicitims family should decide the excecution style of the convicted murderer. Anything goes, so if you want a real live "Saw" scene, more power to you. If you want a simple borrowing drug over-dose, fine.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Show a tape of the botched execution to first time offenders. I'd bet it would cut down on the number of repeat offenders.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Show a tape of the botched execution to first time offenders. I'd bet it would cut down on the number of repeat offenders.

I think capital punishment as a determent is generally not as effective as people think from what I've seen in a few articles.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The way the death penalty is implemented in this country, it costs more than life in prison, and there has been no data to show that it is an effective crime deterrent. Given that, I'm not really sure what the point of it is.

Also, add me to the list of people that is baffled that we can't come up with a drug or drugs to do this job well. How hard is it to give them something to put them under, and then give something to stop the heart?

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
It is strange to me why they can't come up with a drug cocktail that is quick and effective and leaves little doubt that it will work.

That's not so much the problem as the availability of those drugs. Turns out the rest of the world has serious moral qualms with executions and doesn't want to provide the drugs. A lot of these states are having to try new less effective mixtures.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I'm confused. Dozens (probably more) people die every week from drug overdoses and we cannot figure you how to do it effectively?

This all day long ..... IMO, it needs to be done quick and swift ... why can't a cocktail be made to allow that be the case?

-keep

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Firing squad imo. 6 or 7 shots to the dome would do it.

Blindfold the firing squad, put them behind bulletproof glass with only the barrels sticking through and have a little game of Marco Polo. The victim's family is welcome to participate.

Honestly, I wish I could say I'm decided on the death penalty. Everytime I lean too heavily for it or against it, some part of me brings me back to being undecided. I don't sympathize with the offenders at all. More of a moral dilemma.

And I agree with you saying that it's not really that much of a deterrent. It may fuel someone's rage even more or even give someone cause to "be famous".

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron