MLB: Map of Baseball Nation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I saw this on Twitter and thought it was interesting. It maps out where fans of all the MLB teams live and when you zoom in, it gives the top three teams for each county. The information was gathered by using Facebook and zipcodes. Via the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ebook-baseball-map.html?_r=1#7,41.443,-91.965

I found it interesting that in most of Utah (and other places without a "true" local team), either the Yanks or Red Sox were most popular. And as anyone who has seen a blacked out game on TV in the state of Iowa, it's not surprising that we're pretty well split up between the regional teams.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Okay I've never lived in the Des Moines area but the Yankees as the second most popular team? Whenever I go down I don't think: Lot of Yankee hats here.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I saw this on Twitter and thought it was interesting. It maps out where fans of all the MLB teams live and when you zoom in, it gives the top three teams for each county. The information was gathered by using Facebook and zipcodes. Via the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ebook-baseball-map.html?_r=1#7,41.443,-91.965

I found it interesting that in most of Utah (and other places without a "true" local team), either the Yanks or Red Sox were most popular. And as anyone who has seen a blacked out game on TV in the state of Iowa, it's not surprising that we're pretty well split up between the regional teams.

Poor Mets. Only team without a single zipcode, at least that I can find.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I've lived in Grinnell for a little over 20 years. I know of only two other Brewers fans (one happens to be a college professor from Milwaukee) here. I wasn't at all surprised to see the statistics for Poweshiek Co - lots of Cubs and Cards fans in my hometown.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
wtf is up with the yankees in almost ever county, i hate the yankees

I think they're just the "default" team chosen by people who suppose they like baseball, but really don't care when it comes down to it. So what's easier to pay attention to than a team that usually wins and has the most titles? I always like to ask people who say they are Yankees fans (and feel the need to boast about it) how often they've gone to see them play. Inevitably, the answer is zero. It's not too dissimilar to asking tavern hoks when they went to Iowa, actually.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I think they're just the "default" team chosen by people who suppose they like baseball, but really don't care when it comes down to it. So what's easier to pay attention to than a team that usually wins and has the most titles? I always like to ask people who say they are Yankees fans (and feel the need to boast about it) how often they've gone to see them play. Inevitably, the answer is zero. It's not too dissimilar to asking tavern hoks when they went to Iowa, actually.
So since I've never seen a Braves game in person, that means I'm not a Braves fan? :sad:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'd buy that Yankees argument. First time I watched a new sport I became a fan of the team that won the title. (Aussies rules football FWIW).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So, what did the light blue color of Iowa mean? Cubs or Royals? Or both?

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Nor sure the Athletics got a single ZIP code either, I'm pretty much the only A's fan I know. Been an A's fan since the Des Moines team was their farm club: The Iowa Oaks.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Nor sure the Athletics got a single ZIP code either, I'm pretty much the only A's fan I know. Been an A's fan since the Des Moines team was their farm club: The Iowa Oaks.

The A's are my "American League" team although I'm a Cubs fan. Basically I start following the A's a week into the season each year once the Cubs are 7 games back.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Remember this data is gather from Facebook, so all it takes is someone to like the Yankees on Facebook and they pop up. Considering they have had some of the most well known players over the past 20 years, not surprising that people all over the county have liked them. This gives us some idea of how the fans are spread out, but I would guess that this is more a casual fan map, a die hard fan map would look different, but there really isn't any good way to do that.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Although the Giants are (obviously) my team, I still follow and like the A's as well. I'll actually see at least two games in person against the Nats in Oakland next weekend. They have a small, but fun crowd at the Coliseum. It's too bad they don't get more support, because they've been a really good team the last few seasons.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Although the Giants are (obviously) my team, I still follow and like the A's as well. I'll actually see at least two games in person against the Nats in Oakland next weekend. They have a small, but fun crowd at the Coliseum. It's too bad they don't get more support, because they've been a really good team the last few seasons.

The A's need a new stadium in the worst way. Not sure how much more opposing teams can take of sanitary sewer pipes backing up into locker rooms.

That aside, The A's would be my second favorite team only to the Twins. The Giants would have to be my favorite NL team.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Please someone who knows more about this than me respond; but I think the A's wanted to move to San Jose or Santa Clara but Selig continually blocks all attempts, claiming that the Southern Bay Area is Giants territory. Not sure if that has anything at all to do with the 49er's move to Santa Clara or not. In any case the O.com (or whatever it's called) is sadly very outdated. The only advantage is the huge foul territory that the A's are used to but not so much the visitors.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
The A's need a new stadium in the worst way. Not sure how much more opposing teams can take of sanitary sewer pipes backing up into locker rooms.

That aside, The A's would be my second favorite team only to the Twins. The Giants would have to be my favorite NL team.

The Coliseum is pretty bad for baseball. The city of Oakland isn't able to finance a new facility and I don't think their mayor is smart enough to know how to reach out to potential private investors. The A's themselves don't want to invest in staying, but want to go to San Jose. But that won't happen because the Giants hold the rights to that part of the Bay. It's been in the courts, but I don't remember where things stand as of now.

I just don't want the A's to leave the Bay Area. With the Warriors moving back to San Francisco in a few years, once the new arena south of AT&T Park gets built, and the A's looking at skipping town, all that will be left in the East Bay will be the Raiders. Since they have already left town once and come back, I wouldn't hold my breath that Oakland will have ANY pro teams in a decade.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Please someone who knows more about this than me respond; but I think the A's wanted to move to San Jose or Santa Clara but Selig continually blocks all attempts, claiming that the Southern Bay Area is Giants territory. Not sure if that has anything at all to do with the 49er's move to Santa Clara or not. In any case the O.com (or whatever it's called) is sadly very outdated. The only advantage is the huge foul territory that the A's are used to but not so much the visitors.

There are some articles at this website about where things stand currently. I think they are mostly about trying to work a new lease agreement on the first page, but it should go back a bit.

http://newballpark.org/

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron