JP in the DMR talking about reorganizing the big 5

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Jaime reiterates he's in favor of it, but I don't think he has a choice.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
#Done

Sell 20-25K beers per game @ $8 each and you got your difference...lol

I really hope Jamie would consider this as an option. It would more than cover the extra expenses.
The more you drink the more you help your Cyclones. It's a win-win.

Meanwhile, the anti-binge-drinkers in IC will have a real problem on their hands.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This will be terrible for educational opportunities for hundreds of thousands of students. The other 200 some schools will be forced to cut sports and scholarships to people who would actually GREATLY appreciate the chance at a free education.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
This will be terrible for educational opportunities for hundreds of thousands of students. The other 200 some schools will be forced to cut sports and scholarships to people who would actually GREATLY appreciate the chance at a free education.

And if we cut football all together there would be no money for those scholarships in the first place. Give the money to the people actually earning it.

ZachsterPoke

Jan 4, 2010
This is why the proposal only includes the 65 schools currently in the "Big 5". The other 200 some schools (like UNI and Tulsa) wouldn't be subject to this "cost of attendance" requirement.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This is why the proposal only includes the 65 schools currently in the "Big 5". The other 200 some schools (like UNI and Tulsa) wouldn't be subject to this "cost of attendance" requirement.

But these schools won't be able to get pay days anymore, wont be able to schedule, won't be included in the NCAA basketball tournament. It will have a MUCH larger negative effect than you would think. College basketball as we know it will be a cluster. Wrestling will be extinct.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Is there a NCAA or Big 12 rule against selling beer at games or is it just our decision?

pretty sure West Virginia sell alcohol at their games.

Might be something at the state level that prevents it though

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
But these schools won't be able to get pay days anymore, wont be able to schedule, won't be included in the NCAA basketball tournament. It will have a MUCH larger negative effect than you would think. College basketball as we know it will be a cluster. Wrestling will be extinct.

They aren't leaving the NCAA. None of those things would be going away

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Does this make it good or bad for Iowa State...because I'm an alum and a Cyclones fan so if it's good for ISU and puts UNI out of business I don't give a ****. I really don't.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I really don't like or agree with Pollard on this issue. Your really crying about possibly having to spend another 750k per year on your student athletes. Your Big XII TV contract alone is going up by at least, what $10 million per year, in the next few years. Cry me a river. I know he wants as big a budget as he can possibly get but your department wouldn't exist without the athletes. This is fairly simple and shouldn't cost anyone an education. You will have a few sports that get the larger "full" cost of attendance. Everyone on the each team must get the same amount (otherwise they are more like free agents and costs will spiral upwards). Most likely the revenue generating sports will get this higher tier while sports like swimming and diving can stay the same. Let each school choose which sports to compete at the highest levels (ie Stanford or Texas can do this for every sport under the sun if they choose) but the money will be equal at the schools at this highest level. The other sports will be lower "value" scholarships. This is somewhat like what already occurs with Wrestling where they mostly get partial scholarships due to the 9.9 limit.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

This, in particular, is wrong.

And why should I care about Indiana State again...?