RECRUITING: Hallice Cooke already very familiar with ISU

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Didn't he also see us play in Hawaii at the tournament? Could've sworn it was the beavers that played the day before us.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
If he comes here, in 2015/16 we'd have a sophomore class of Custer, Williams and Cooke. That's way better than if they would have settled for a couple lesser hs recruits after they missed out on some of the bigger targets this past year.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
“I feel like that (Iowa State) coaching staff knows how to develop players,” Cooke said. “That’s something that I wasn’t as comfortable with here. I want to give myself an opportunity to win. That’s something that I didn’t feel like was going to happen at Oregon State so that stood out to me – an opportunity to play for a good coach and a winning program that just won a conference title. That stood out.”

Almost sounds like his mind is already made up.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
“I feel like that (Iowa State) coaching staff knows how to develop players,” Cooke said. “That’s something that I wasn’t as comfortable with here. I want to give myself an opportunity to win. That’s something that I didn’t feel like was going to happen at Oregon State so that stood out to me – an opportunity to play for a good coach and a winning program that just won a conference title. That stood out.”

Until Georgetown, UCONN or Villanova come calling.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006

It's crazy for me to say this, but those schools don't even scare me anymore. We have proven we can take in transfers and turn them into elite players. Who else has done that on a consistent basis over the past 5 years? I can't name a single program.

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
ISU's Big12 Tourney Championship and Sweet 16 run this year are already paying dividends. Not to mention the success the program has had with transfers. We are on people's radars now.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

I was thinking the same thing.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
If you were a talented player that just needed that extra bit of coaching and development, why wouldn't you choose ISU? Seriously, look at how much players improve under even limited Hoiberg exposure. As has already been said, ISU may not land a bunch of McD AAs, at least not for a while. But ISU will get players that fit the system and are driven to prove others wrong. Just look at Hogue as an example.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If he comes here, in 2015/16 we'd have a sophomore class of Custer, Williams and Cooke. That's way better than if they would have settled for a couple lesser hs recruits after they missed out on some of the bigger targets this past year.

I agree. There are two things I like about transfers.

First is you can evaluate them against college players versus HS players. This should greatly decrease odds of whiffing on a given player evaluation.

Secondly, I can't help but feel a portion of our recent success is a result of having great talent on our scout teams. Most team practice against a bunch of walk-ons and rs freshmen. Practicing daily against players who would start at a lot of D-1 schools has to be a good thing.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Thanks Chris for ruining my day. I read your article, took a look at the schollie chart, saw no Niang in 2016-17 and almost cried.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
When he says he wants to wait to make a decision he means wait until Sunday before he leaves.. The dude is a perfect fit and could develop into a legit NBA prospect...

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Agree. This is my opinion, 99% chance Hallice Cooke will be a Cyclone.

When he says he wants to wait to make a decision he means wait until Sunday before he leaves.. The dude is a perfect fit and could develop into a legit NBA prospect...

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
He sounds like a very smart kid who is going to do what's best for him. He seems patient with the process, so I wouldn't be shocked if we wants to play the whole thing out. That said, having another transfer visiting with him who he'll be able to sit out with is a huge advantage for us, so hopefully they hit it off and both want to come here.

No matter what, we're an amazing fit for him and I feel very good about our chances.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

UConn getting involved would be tough. I was really impressed with them. It would be easy for Ollie to show Cooke how the tournament really showcased Napier. They have become a real blue-blood.

The other two only offer location. I am not worried about going toe-to-toe with G'Town or Nova. Since he went all the way to Oregon for his freshman year, I don't anticipate location to be a huge obstacle. But maybe it is.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Idk, something tells me this won't necessarily be a BDJ right-away commit, just because he may indeed check out other offers including those closer to New Jersey. Afterall, he has 3 more years to want to be at the 'right' place, compared to one yr. But I agree with all of you in that it just sounds like a very 'good fit' for him and us.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
Don't discount Rhode Island here. He played for Hurley Sr. in high school. Hurley Jr coaches Rhode Island

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron