Sleeping issues

rhino3382

Mar 6, 2012
15 min South of Hilton
I have never been one to have issues with sleeping and have always slept through the night up until about 3 months ago. I keep having these same style of reoccurring dreams every single night. We have a 9 month old that is crawling and standing now. She has never slept in the bed with and only as of 5 months ago stopped sleeping in the cradle by our bed.

Anyways these last couple months at some point in the night I have this nightmare that I fell asleep with my daughter awake in the bed and she is about to crawl off of the bed and hit the ground. It's a sheer panic and I frantically search for her in the dark until I wake up and realize what I am doing. I then get up and check on her in the other room and she is always sleeping. My wife wakes up everytime time also is getting pretty annoyed with it. I can't say I have tried changing anything to see if there is a trigger. Anyone have anything sort of similar and or suggestions on how to remedy this. Drinking a bunch of alcohol before bed is not going to happen so we can just get that joke over with.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
45750970.jpg

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
My advice would be to just go to a doctor. Unfortunately that will cost some money, but they would be able to help.

Also, working out consistently might help some.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Let the kid fall down in reality to prove to your subconscious it won't get hurt.

boyd

Feb 19, 2012
I have never been one to have issues with sleeping and have always slept through the night up until about 3 months ago. I keep having these same style of reoccurring dreams every single night. We have a 9 month old that is crawling and standing now. She has never slept in the bed with and only as of 5 months ago stopped sleeping in the cradle by our bed.

Anyways these last couple months at some point in the night I have this nightmare that I fell asleep with my daughter awake in the bed and she is about to crawl off of the bed and hit the ground. It's a sheer panic and I frantically search for her in the dark until I wake up and realize what I am doing. I then get up and check on her in the other room and she is always sleeping. My wife wakes up everytime time also is getting pretty annoyed with it. I can't say I have tried changing anything to see if there is a trigger. Anyone have anything sort of similar and or suggestions on how to remedy this. Drinking a bunch of alcohol before bed is not going to happen so we can just get that joke over with.

It just means you love your daughter very much and I bet you are sleeping on your back and your mouth falls open.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
While not the exact same situation this past winter for some reason I got fearful that I would never be able to get to sleep ever again. So I got panic attacks / anxiety attacks and had issues sleeping.

My doctor recommended melatonin, an over the counter sleep supplement. That worked for me and my anxiety issues. My doctor said I could go up to 10mg. I started at 10mg and have worked my way down to 5mg now. However, it could just be a placebo effect thing for me but hey it works.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
What are you eating before going to bed? Welcome to the joys and stresses of parenthood. Your life is going to be different, learn how to embrace it.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Its called being a parent. I have a 15 month old and she falls and gets bumps and brusies all the time. I don't worry about it she is fine after accidents. We have even taught her to brush it off when she falls, it pretty cute actually. She literally stops crying and starts "brushing her self off". And we move on. Kids will fall and get bumps big deal. No need to worry.

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
I don't want to alarm you but you may be in the Dead Zone.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

It doesn't sound like a sleep problem (speaking as a guy who has had sleep issues) so much as a "psychiatric" issue about anxiety. If you have the right insurance spend the co-pay and talk to a mental health professional. You're not crazy, you're just trying to cope with the huge change in life status IMHO.

rhino3382

Mar 6, 2012
15 min South of Hilton
I am not and have never been one for touching drugs. smoked a little weed 10 years ago in college, but thats the extent of it. I dont even take asprin, Tylenol or any pills for any reason. we have a sound baby monitor but it does not have video. There are a couple decent suggestions in this thread that might be pursuing so i appreciate those. I do care about my daughter more than words can describe so that is probably the trigger for the fears of something happening to her. It would be one thing if it was something that was happening while i was awake, but since its while I am deep asleep, I feel a little helpless. I will look into the melatonin recommendation placebo affect or not. If it can help, I am willing to give it a shot

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I use melatonin pretty regularly to help me get to sleep if I just can't and would highly suggest it. Best part is you can take it at any point during the night with no issues compared to Tylenol or Advil PM.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Also, just an FYI. Melatonin isn't a drug. It's a hormone thay occurs in the body naturally. It seems to help me as well

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron