What do you think is the greatest moment in ISU sports history?

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Been thinking about this lately and wondered what you guys would say. For me, it is the 2011 Oklahoma State game. Actually have that game on DVD and it still gives me chills watching it.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Anyone who doesn't answer the Oklahoma State game is wrong. Even if you're a huge basketball fan. Soon be overshadowed by ISU's National Championship in basketball in April 2015

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I wish people would stop talking about Oklahoma State.

Makes me so sad every time. I had tickets, planned on attending, then a late meeting was scheduled, I figured we would get blown out so I stayed for it, and missed history. FML.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Anyone who doesn't answer the Oklahoma State game is wrong. Even if you're a huge basketball fan. Soon be overshadowed by ISU's National Championship in basketball in April 2015

To me, some of things that have happened since have really put a damper on my memory of that game.

- Barnett falling from grace and leaving
- Woody never becoming quite what I thought he would be
- Jantz
- Losing to Rutgers and Tulsa in bowl games

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Oklahoma State 2011. Maybe a case can be made for the fifth straight win over Kansas during Eustachy's run.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
To me, some of things that have happened since have really put a damper on my memory of that game.

- Barnett falling from grace and leaving
- Woody never becoming quite what I thought he would be
- Jantz
- Losing to Rutgers and Tulsa in bowl games

I'm gonna be that guy and blame those first three on Mess, and half of the fourth one.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Whatever sport.

I'd say Cael's last NC, cementing him as the greatest collegiate wrestler who ever lived.

The oSu game was great but it won neither a conference title nor a bowl game.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Barnett never should have lost his job in the first place after that game.

I understand why they took it away, and I still think that Jantz may have been pretty darn good in his second year if Herman stayed, but obviously that didn't happen. Than again I think Barnett would have improved more if Herman had stayed. Mess had some decent pieces in both his offenses, just didn't know how to use them.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Clearly the correct answer is winning the national championship in Indianapolis in 2015.

I don't know. I think the Insight.com win back in 2000 was pretty huge, and capped one of the best seasons in school history.

Oklahoma State in 2011 was great and all. NU in '92 was as well.

I won't say it's the "greatest moment" or anything, but for me - the best game I ever attended was NU is '02. Just kicked the daylights out of them. Complete domination. In fact, the opening 6 games of that season may be the greatest stretch in ISU FB history.

And Iowa in '98 was pretty huge as well - ending that infernal drought.

Winning the last Big 8 tourney. Really brought ISU back into national relevance.

Capturing Big XII regular and tourney crowns in MBB in '00. Man - was that year not the pinnacle of ISU sports? WBB dominated as well.

Moments that stand out to me.

Last edited:

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Before the Okie State game, a few buddies and I were drinking and they started playing games and got mad at me when I said I was going to avoid games because I had a feeling something special was going to happen.

Literally none of them remember the game. All they know is that we won. They've watched replay, seen themselves on the field, and just can't believe they don't remember any of it.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Whatever sport.

I'd say Cael's last NC, cementing him as the greatest collegiate wrestler who ever lived.

The oSu game was great but it won neither a conference title nor a bowl game.

So beating Miami of Ohio 17-13 in the Independence Bowl, or beating Minnesota 14-13 in the Insight Bowl was a bigger deal than OSU Game?

post-39693-how-many-pots-have-you-smoken-upt2.gif

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
Despite being in attendance for the OSU football win, winning 1996 Big 8 basketball tournament by one point over KU in the final is definitely up there. Perhaps part of it is harkening back to a younger age and simpler time in my life, but I'll always remember that team with Willoughby, Pratt, Cato, and Holloway as a ton of fun to watch.