Doc Sadler possible candidate for Southern Miss job

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Well at least we wouldn't really fight him for recruits.

greatshu

Dec 4, 2007
KS
Noooooooooooo! I like him. We want to keep him around as long as we can. I think him and CFH makes a great team.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Doc has a lot of control over the defense here at ISU and Fred is an offensive mastermind. They're a great combo. Plus Doc hasn't done a ton of recruiting either (as far as I know). And he's getting paid fairly well, I assume.

Why leave?!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
That would be a great landing spot for him -- they've really got it going.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Doc has a lot of control over the defense here at ISU and Fred is an offensive mastermind. They're a great combo. Plus Doc hasn't done a ton of recruiting either (as far as I know). And he's getting paid fairly well, I assume.

Why leave?!

Because he wants to be a head coach?

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Not surprising, Doc is a well respected coach and with all the success ISU had this season, he will be a candidate for many HC jobs. If he takes it I wish him well.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
IMO, losing Doc would be about as big as losing any current player. The guy is replaceable, but his help on the defensive side of the ball has been huge this season. I think he helped instill a sense of toughness into the team too.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Because he wants to be a head coach?

Hey, whose side are you on!

Seriously though, I would not be mad if he left for a HC job, hate to lose him though. I really like having his coaching ability on staff.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't thing losing him would be thg big of deal. Hoiberg I am sure learned from him an knew he wasn't going to be here for too long. I they could replace him with a really good recruiter I would take that trade in a heartbeat.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I would wait if I were him. That job is an up hill fight. He will be up for bigger better jobs down the road.

This. Doc is a way better coach than that. And one that doesn't need the second chance other coaches have needed (cough, cough).

Plus - no disrespect to Southern Miss, but Doc has already put his time in and paid his dues in the bball purgatory that is Nebraska (disrespect intended)

And yes - this is said with the full blinders that I want him on our bench.

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
Like most, I sure hope he stays, but wish him the best if he takes a HC job. He's been great with Freddy and the team.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I can't remember where it was from, but I remember a video of Doc being interviewed and actually talking about future possibilities. I think it might have been a Coach Fred Hoiberg Show episode. I don't remember his words exactly but they were something along the lines of that he really likes being at ISU and working beside CFH. As for future head coaching possibilities, he said that he is at the point in his career where there really is only a few select head coaching opportunities that he would consider, and if not, he said he could easily see himself finishing out his career at ISU. Therefore, I see the question more as whether the SMU job would be one of those select opportunities he was talking about. My guess would be no, but who knows?

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I just hope he doesn't go to a b 12 school. His defensive mastermind and he would know our offense

Our offense will likely look different next year w/o having Kane to go through. Plus Fred's offense revolves around in-game match-ups which I'm sure if they ended up coaching against each other, Fred could draw up some plays that'll work. It's only a matter of time before Doc moves on to another HC job. He definitely has the ability. Hopefully we won't see it happen in the near future.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
This. Doc is a way better coach than that. And one that doesn't need the second chance other coaches have needed (cough, cough).

Plus - no disrespect to Southern Miss, but Doc has already put his time in and paid his dues in the bball purgatory that is Nebraska (disrespect intended)

And yes - this is said with the full blinders that I want him on our bench.

In today's climate any coach that is fired will need a "second chance" to prove themselves. Their is a reason they were let go in the first place, regardless of the reason being personal or if it was just a matter of not winning enough. What "better job" will there be for Doc than Southern Miss? Lots of competition for head coaching positions. Being fired at previous gigs can make it a tough sell for the new school as they introduce their new coach.

I love having Doc here...but if he wants to be a head coach...Southern Miss is about the right spot for him and then he can move up from there.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Doc is a good coach, don't get me wrong, but if you think he is above So. Miss as a head coach than you are wrong. If he wants to be a head coach again it would be a good move. I would miss him as an assistant, but So. Miss would gain a new fan.