Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
There are so many things wrong with what Ken Miller said today on the radio. First Boston Marathon since the bombing and this is what he had to say (I'm not going to link because he doesn't deserve the traffic)...

"Should the winner of the Boston Marathon have a little asterisk beside it this year? I mean, I know you want to claim him. He's not an American. He took a test." (speaking about Meb Keflezighi)

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I'd say it makes him a better american than Ken Miller since he had to actually go through the process of becoming a citizen, and wasn't just lucky enough to be born here. Also, if Ken Miller doesn't think Meb Keflezighi is an american, can we give Meb Ken's "americaniss". We'd definitely be better off.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I'd say it makes him a better american than Ken Miller since he had to actually go through the process of becoming a citizen, and wasn't just lucky enough to be born here. Also, if Ken Miller doesn't think Meb Keflezighi is an american, can we give Meb Ken's "americaniss". We'd definitely be better off.

You know than Ken is Canadian, right?

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
So a Canadian is complaining about it? Is Ken an American citizen now?

If an American Olympian wins a medal but wasn't born in the US, should that not be celebrated? So confused now.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
mountain-molehill.gif

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
IIRC correctly he moved here with his family when he was 12. It's not like he packed up from Eritrea (I think that's where he's from) at age 30 and decided he wanted to be an American.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
There are so many things wrong with what Ken Miller said today on the radio. First Boston Marathon since the bombing and this is what he had to say (I'm not going to link because he doesn't deserve the traffic)...

"Should the winner of the Boston Marathon have a little asterisk beside it this year? I mean, I know you want to claim him. He's not an American. He took a test." (speaking about Meb Keflezighi)

List of people who care:

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
WTF is the point of having a citizenship test, if the people who pass it are going to be treated as second-class?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Does he think Melvin Ejim should have an asterisk next to his claim to be Canadian just because his dad and/or mom had to take a test?

Note: I don't actually know, but I'm assuming somebody had to take a test so that Ejim could have both Canadian and Nigerian citizenship, but I doubt it was Melvin himself.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Well if it makes you feel any better...I thought the same thing as Ken, which is a rarity for me.

Really?

So this dude has been here since age 12 and a citizen since 1998 and he's not a legit American?

Anyone who makes that sort of comment is an ***hole. Dude looks and sounds like he loves his counrty to me . Miller was out of line.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I listened to Ken's little rant yesterday on the subject, and I think he kinda had a point. But a poorly made one. I got to thinking about these Olympians who jump countries because it would seem they couldn't make he team in their own. There is a bit of nationality obscurity in international sports nowadays. But this isn't one of those cases.

I can't think of a good example internationally - so I'll play the state game. My wife was born in Miami, but moved back to Iowa before she was 1, and lived here her entire life since. Now by Miller's logic - she's Floridian, not Iowan. My brother was born and lived in Iowa til he was in his early 20's, Illinois til his early 30's, and the past 5 or so in California? Iowan?

It's a fuzzy line. But this guy's been here the majority of his life and would appear to be proud to be an American. Good for him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron