Cyclone Roundup: Quick take on Hoiberg/Timberwolves

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
this rumor has pretty much already been laid to rest by Flip, saying Fred isn't interested in moving to NBA yet

Last edited:

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Nice read Chris. Agree 100%. I think Fred would be fool to leave Ames and most people close to the program would agree 100%.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Great piece. Now if all the Iowa and UNI fans on Facebook/Twitter would shut their mouths, life would be great.

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
It will be incredibly difficult for me to project all my hopes and dreams for humanity onto Fred if he takes this job.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
From the ESPN article, anyone else crack a smile at this line:

NBA coaching sources told ESPN.com that the Wolves have Donovan prominent in their thoughts as they compile a list of potential successors to the retiring Rick Adelman that -- as covered here in March -- already includes college titans Tom Izzo and Fred Hoiberg.

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
Izzo has 19 years of experience coaching at Michigan State, and 16 years of experience before that as an assistant.

Hoiberg only has 4 years of experience coaching, yet both are considered titans or elite. That tells me everything I need to know.

Linusvanp3lt

Sep 25, 2012
"Think about it, Hoiberg and Timberwolves head honcho Flip Saunders are friends. AGAIN, WE ALL KNEW THIS WAS COMING...

My take? Just relax everybody." lol

Still haven't found anyone freaking out about him leaving. Still only see people freaking out about the idea of the message board talking about something that USA Today, ESPN, CBS Sports, and Flip Saunders have already wrote about, or commented on today. You're right, why would we talk about our coach being linked to a job when all these major outlets are talking about him potentially being linked to the job?

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
Izzo and Hoiberg aren't taking the job. Don't think Donovan would either, but I put him as most likely than the other two.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
After Hoiberg, Flip is my least favorite for the T-Wolves job.

I'd be pretty happy if Minnesota hired a guy that worked out for a while, and Flip ain't it.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
After Hoiberg, Flip is my least favorite for the T-Wolves job.

I'd be pretty happy if Minnesota hired a guy that worked out for a while, and Flip ain't it.

I'll be a huge fan of the T-Wolves next coach and hope he's there for the next decade. Didn't like what Saunders said about now not being Fred's time but that he'd be in the NBA someday, and while there's a lot of good NBA jobs, Minnesota would seem to be the biggest threat.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't see why everybody thinks Fred even wants to go back to the NBA...

-money isn't an issue for him from his playing days, and I doubt it motivates him
-in college, the coach is the king, in the pros, the coach is the whipping boy for the billionaire owner and millionaire egos in uniforms
-I would have to think Fred is a Cyclone fan just as much as any of us on here
-NBA coaches and managers have zero stability--people even complain about legends (Knicks fans are already starting to turn on Phil Jackson, maybe rightfully, but that didn't take long)
-his family and children are in the best place in the world for them, and he probably has a pretty decent and stable home life compared to a national, 82-game season
-Minnesota is not a premium job or destination for free agents, and they have a terrible habit of failing hardcore in the draft
-their best player is about to walk away, never to return, and there's not much left after that
-making high school kids into grown men and complete players has to be more satisfying than dealing with NBA-types
-college coaches become untouchable legends in their schools of choice, and everybody remembers how just cool college is compared to much of what comes before or afterwards
-he could easily be the next Izzo, Donovan, Coach K, a person who is the first thing anybody thinks about when they think about the university and the program
-hell, Hoiberg is already 90% to being the best sports story in America... home-town hero, 100% All-American everything, gifted student and athlete, leader, upstanding citizen, successful professional, comes back home to save his hometown team from falling apart to now a conference title (and, to do the last 10%, national title) contender

I'm not saying it is impossible. But that's a lot to walk away from up there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron