Odd Circumstance - home selling

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
So, the other day, my wife was in our driveway when a man in his 80's pulled in. He said that his daughter lives in the house who's backyard shares the fence with ours, and wanted to know if we were willing to sell our house.

She let him know that we aren't in a position to sell as of right now and he went on his way.

He has since been in contact with us again saying "I'm not wealthy, but money isn't much of an issue," in response to us telling him we can't sell because we wouldn't make enough from the sale to be able to have a down payment for another house.

To add to it, my wife has now set up a showing for him on Monday because he wanted to come in and see if the layout of the house would even work for when we are ready to sell.

My wife and I have talked about moving, but its more of a 7 - 10 year projection. I feel like if the guy really wants to buy our house for market value and basically pay our down payment on another house, we would do it. At the same time, feel like thats taking advantage of someone to even suggest it on the off chance he accepts those terms.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Its a crazy scenario that my wife and I were definitely not expecting.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So, the other day, my wife was in our driveway when a man in his 80's pulled in. He said that his daughter lives in the house who's backyard shares the fence with ours, and wanted to know if we were willing to sell our house.

She let him know that we aren't in a position to sell as of right now and he went on his way.

He has since been in contact with us again saying "I'm not wealthy, but money isn't much of an issue," in response to us telling him we can't sell because we wouldn't make enough from the sale to be able to have a down payment for another house.

To add to it, my wife has now set up a showing for him on Monday because he wanted to come in and see if the layout of the house would even work for when we are ready to sell.

My wife and I have talked about moving, but its more of a 7 - 10 year projection. I feel like if the guy really wants to buy our house for market value and basically pay our down payment on another house, we would do it. At the same time, feel like thats taking advantage of someone to even suggest it on the off chance he accepts those terms.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Its a crazy scenario that my wife and I were definitely not expecting.
It's not like you can force him to accept your number, if you need to have a certain amount to be able to move and he's ok with that then that's what it's worth to him.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
If someone offers you more than market value and it doesn't screw up your current life, you do it.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
See what he will do. You have an item he wants to buy. It sounds like living close to his family is more important than money. Once you start getting older, this tends to happen. If you can make a fair deal for both sides, you should not feel bad about it at all.

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
we would have to sell our 145k house for something like 170k to make us move out ready. I feel like that would be taking advantage of the situation. But at the same time, its very odd how badly he wants to move into my house...

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Beware the long con. The old man's name didn't happen to be "Plantagenet" did it?

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I don't know how many of you are familiar with zillow.com, but it's a real estate site and you can "claim" your home on the site and include a "make me move" sell price. I've done it and if someone calls offering it I'll take it.

Switch

Aug 22, 2012
The house is worth whatever he is willing to pay. Make it right for you and see what he says. The worst that happens is you stay on a house you didn't plan on moving out of for 7-10 years.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
we would have to sell our 145k house for something like 170k to make use move out ready. I feel like that would be taking advantage of the situation. But at the same time, its very odd how badly he wants to move into my house...

Straight up tell him that. Explain why and see what he would do. Honestly, 25K is really not that much money in the grand scheme of things.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
we would have to sell our 145k house for something like 170k to make us move out ready. I feel like that would be taking advantage of the situation. But at the same time, its very odd how badly he wants to move into my house...

Maybe he buried some dead bodies there years ago and now needs to move them.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
we would have to sell our 145k house for something like 170k to make use move out ready. I feel like that would be taking advantage of the situation. But at the same time, its very odd how badly he wants to move into my house...
That doesn't sound like a huge premium necessarily, I was thinking you were talking like 50% more than it's worth or something. If it were me I'd thrown in 5k more just for the hassle of me having to move when I wasn't planning on it.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Maybe this is the skeptic in me but could he have other motives for wanting to see the house? Checking it out working for someone to rob you?

I am very skeptical of well pretty much everything but it just sounds odd to me.

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Maybe this is the skeptic in me but could he have other motives for wanting to see the house? Checking it out working for someone to rob you?

I am very skeptical of well pretty much everything but it just sounds odd to me.

They'll be sorely disappointed with their take if thats the case. They might actually leave me some stuff.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Sounds like he has already claimed to know the people behind the house, would be a pretty poor con since you could walk over there and ask if they know the guy...but they might not believe you are who you say you are, or they might be in on the con with the crook.......and......your my mom.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I don't see anything wrong with asking a premium for it. You've never paid more for an item you really wanted?