Cubs Fans?

Are you both a Cubs fan and a Cyclone Fan?

• Total voters

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
So a discussion with Superfan/reading a couple of posts/threads tonight has made me wonder...

How many Cyclones fans are also Cubs fans? The engineer in me is looking for some parallels in the fan base and I thought a poll would help me to see if my hypothesis is correct :cool:

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
I aspire to a lesser form of futility.

GO CREW!

brewers1.jpg

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I am a closet Cubs fan. But I recognize that the only reasons the Cubs exist, is to disappoint their fan-base. Does that make me agnostic, or what???

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
1979 and counting. It makes for an easy transition from baseball to ISU football most of the time.

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
Being a Cyclones & Cubs fan, I know what it's like to live through the eyes of Charlie Brown.

One day we're going to kick that football. Lucy be damned!!!

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Go Cardinals!!!! What's the difference between Chicago and Saint Louis? 243 miles and 10 world series.

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
Q: How many (people of the Will & Grace persuasion) does it take to turn over a car?

A: You'll have to wait until the Cubs win the World Series to find out.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Go Royals.

Ya I know that it is even more pointless to root for them than it is for the Cubs or Cyclones, but when I'm on my deathbed, and they win another World Series, I can say that I'm not a band wagon fan. Also, at least they have won it in my life-span once, more than I can say for the Cubs.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I seem to always root for the underdog no matter who's playing! I guess then that just transpired into the teams I actually do root for. Cubs and Clones. Might as well become a Bears fan since they suck!

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I seem to always root for the underdog no matter who's playing! I guess then that just transpired into the teams I actually do root for. Cubs and Clones. Might as well become a Bears fan since they suck!

Yeah I'm heading back to my Baltimore Orioles... and they're doing even worse now than they were when I was there!

I left shortly after the Ravens got there... but as I understand it they aren't exactly top of the league either... :no:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
On a side note... I think this poll and thread are definitly supporting my hypothesis...

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
So a discussion with Superfan/reading a couple of posts/threads tonight has made me wonder...

How many Cyclones fans are also Cubs fans? The engineer in me is looking for some parallels in the fan base and I thought a poll would help me to see if my hypothesis is correct :cool:

I would imagine the average IQ of the Cyclone fanbase is quite a bit higher. At least we don't think every year is our year, basing it on nothing more than "they're due."

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
On a side note... I think this poll and thread are definitly supporting my hypothesis...

Pose this question on the Hawkeyes board. I'm guessing you'll see a similar result, if not more Cub fans.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I would imagine the average IQ of the Cyclone fanbase is quite a bit higher. At least we don't think every year is our year, basing it on nothing more than "they're due."

Pose this question on the Hawkeyes board. I'm guessing you'll see a similar result, if not more Cub fans.

Hmm, those 2 posts bring up a different question...

The origional question I was getting at delt with corrolations between both fan base's unwaivering support for their team... as well as both teams uh, somewhat consistent performances...

Of course geography factors in here but at 1 or 2 a.m. while sipping on assorted beverages it was a fun question to pose :wink:

The new question that could be posed from your guy's statements there would be if the type of Cub's fan base is split between Iowa and ISU... aka the "We're going to win just because" group (Iowa) and the "I'm _____ fan and I'm going to support my team through thick and thin, and it'll be all that much sweeter when we win" group (ISU)

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Hmm, those 2 posts bring up a different question...

The origional question I was getting at delt with corrolations between both fan base's unwaivering support for their team... as well as both teams uh, somewhat consistent performances...

Of course geography factors in here but at 1 or 2 a.m. while sipping on assorted beverages it was a fun question to pose :wink:

The new question that could be posed from your guy's statements there would be if the type of Cub's fan base is split between Iowa and ISU... aka the "We're going to win just because" group (Iowa) and the "I'm _____ fan and I'm going to support my team through thick and thin, and it'll be all that much sweeter when we win" group (ISU)

Truth be told, I don't have any problem with actual Cubs fans who probably fall into the second group.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Truth be told, I don't have any problem with actual Cubs fans who probably fall into the second group.

The joke that prompted this question came from someone's comment about how loyal our fanbase is... and how we show up even though we're losing and have no chance of going anywhere.

Reminded me of the Cubs so I was thinking maybe there are a lot of Cyclone fans that are also Cubs fans... so they're preconditioned to showing up just because (And are predispotioned to being a sucker for punishment :wink:)