Friday OT - Best/Worst Spinoff Series

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
CycloneRulzzz provided another Friday OT thread idea - thanks, Rulzzz!

What are the best and worst spin-off series? Were the spin-offs better than the originals? Were the originals worthy of a spin-off?

I would say that currently, the best spin-off "series" was the Tenacious D miniseries, which spun off of the excellent Mr. Show. I am excited to see what Odenkirk can do in "Better Call Saul."

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
CycloneRulzzz provided another Friday OT thread idea - thanks, Rulzzz!

What are the best and worst spin-off series? Were the spin-offs better than the originals? Were the originals worthy of a spin-off?

I would say that currently, the best spin-off "series" was the Tenacious D miniseries, which spun off of the excellent Mr. Show. I am excited to see what Odenkirk can do in "Better Call Saul."

Are they still doing Saul? I noticed he is on Fargo right now.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Best spin-off : "Frasier" (from "Cheers").

Worst spin-off : "Caprica" (from "Battlestar Galactica")

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Are they still doing Saul? I noticed he is on Fargo right now.

That was the last I heard - I sure hope so. Jonathan Banks is also currently playing Hickey on Community, and they don't seem to be wrapping up that character.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Do Saved by the Bell and The Simpsons count as spin offs? Saved by the Bell from Good Morning, Miss Bliss and The Simpsons from The Tracy Ullman Show? Also The Colbert Report from The Daily Show.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Do Saved by the Bell and The Simpsons count as spin offs? Saved by the Bell from Good Morning, Miss Bliss and The Simpsons from The Tracy Ullman Show? Also The Colbert Report from The Daily Show.

Those are all three ones I totally would have forgotten, but I think they all count for sure.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
That was the last I heard - I sure hope so. Jonathan Banks is also currently playing Hickey on Community, and they don't seem to be wrapping up that character.

I like him on Community. Pretty funny how they use him.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I like him on Community. Pretty funny how they use him.

I loved him and David Cross in the D&D episode. Admittedly, I'll probably love David Cross in whatever, but they were a good pairing.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

This is such a stupid thing to get into a debate over, but wouldn't Saved By the Bell be considered more of a re-tooling of an existing show than a spin-off? They even repackaged those Miss Bliss episodes as early years flashback episodes of Saved By the Bell when the show got syndicated, so I find it hard to consider them actually two separate shows.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I enjoyed The Lone Gunmen, I know a bunch who didnt, but it was a fun short run for that xfiles spinoff.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
This is such a stupid thing to get into a debate over, but wouldn't Saved By the Bell be considered more of a re-tooling of an existing show than a spin-off? They even repackaged those Miss Bliss episodes as early years flashback episodes of Saved By the Bell when the show got syndicated, so I find it hard to consider them actually two separate shows.
It's certainly something worthy of an offseason debate. Good Morning, Miss Bliss was meant to feature Miss Bliss as the main character and then they transformed into Saved by the Bell which focused on the students, I'll let Angie rule on it's validity as a spin off.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

It's certainly something worthy of an offseason debate. Good Morning, Miss Bliss was meant to feature Miss Bliss as the main character and then they transformed into Saved by the Bell which focused on the students, I'll let Angie rule on it's validity as a spin off.
Only during the CF offseason could we get an argument on whether Saved By the Bell was a spin off.

I have to agree that Fraiser was probably one of the best spin offs made.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron