FREDDY - Meet Byron Wesley...

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Could Thomas and Custer both redshirt, along with possibly Anderson (what the heck, Huff, too)? They, along with Williams, would make a great group when they become
eligible.
Does Thomas, a high 4 star guy, want to redshirst his Soph year? Guessing the answer to that is definitely not. Plus that would be a negative recruiting hammer other coaches would weild against us to future recruits.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Even if Fred is interested, it would be a hard sell, given we just signed BDJ. We already have three shooting guards that are going to play. Not that many more minuets to go around there, especially for a fifth year senior who wants to go out with a splash.

CaseyJones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2008
Does Thomas, a high 4 star guy, want to redshirst his Soph year? Guessing the answer to that is definitely not. Plus that would be a negative recruiting hammer other coaches would weild against us to future recruits.

Yeah, I suppose you're right.

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Even if Fred is interested, it would be a hard sell, given we just signed BDJ. We already have three shooting guards that are going to play. Not that many more minuets to go around there, especially for a fifth year senior who wants to go out with a splash.

That would be Thomas and Naz's problem, not Wesley's.
Did we have too many guards "that are going to play" when we went after Kane last year? You get talent like Wesley and BDJ, and Thomas and Naz are not going to play. I like our young guys, but Wesley and BDJ are not going to lose PT to Thomas or Naz. Morris, BDJ, and Wesley in the starting role with Naz filling the sharp-shooter off the bench like McGee. Besides Year 1, Fred has played 4 guards major minutes.

With BDJ it is probably a harder sell than some, but a lot of places are going to have even more established competition.

CaseyJones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2008
Very rarely do you redshirt a player in his sophomore year. I doubt that works on Thomas, generally a redshirt is used to allow a player to build muscle and get used to the speed of the game. Thomas having already played a year would not redshirt for either of those reasons.

I say go for him. We have 2 schollys available, and for those who think we only have one I will point you towards:

http://cyclonefanatic.com/basketball/mens/scholarship-chart/

We could be stacked if we get another experienced PG. If we played true positions it could look something like this

1: Morris, Wesley, Custer
2: BDJ, Naz, SDW
3: Nader, Thomas
4: Hogue, Edozie
5: Niang, McKay

Regardless someone is going to draw the short straw, and not get the minutes they might get somewhere else, whether we go after him or not.

Thanks for explaining.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Very rarely do you redshirt a player in his sophomore year. I doubt that works on Thomas, generally a redshirt is used to allow a player to build muscle and get used to the speed of the game. Thomas having already played a year would not redshirt for either of those reasons.

I say go for him. We have 2 schollys available, and for those who think we only have one I will point you towards:

http://cyclonefanatic.com/basketball/mens/scholarship-chart/

We could be stacked if we get another experienced PG. If we played true positions it could look something like this

1: Morris, Wesley, Custer
2: BDJ, Naz, SDW
3: Nader, Thomas
4: Hogue, Edozie
5: Niang, McKay

Regardless someone is going to draw the short straw, and not get the minutes they might get somewhere else, whether we go after him or not.
If this were to play out, and none of these players explode this next summer....Edozie, Thomas, SDW and Custer would be the players getting the fewest minutes. Because Wesley and Morris would handle the top just like Kane and Morris did. BDJ and Naz would be the 2......Nadar, Hogue, Niang and McKay would take the 3-5 positions. However as we all know....you can throw postitions out the window in this system. Anyway, there you have it....an 8 man rotation with some really good subs in the above mentioned four players. You can never, ever have enough talent. So if Wesley is interested......by all means welcome aboard. Then fill the other ships with transfers who have to sit out a year to replace the seniors we will lose this coming years and Boom..................winning!!

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
One of the reasons we were good last season was not because we had the most talent. Kansas and Baylor had way more talent than us last year and I think at the end of the year we were better than both of them. We have to be smart about who we pick up. We already have a stacked roster and if you start ******* guys off that are a big piece of that locker room then you jeopardize our chemistry. I say leave this guy alone.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If he was interested, Fred would be crazy not to sign him up. Some of you guys need to think back a little. What if someone breaks a foot or gets in trouble with the law, or decides that they want to play closer to home over the summer? Just because it looks like there are going to be lots of guards next year at this point in time, doesn't mean it will turn out that way.

I like all of the guys on the team right now, and they look like they will all contribute next year, but I don't think you can pass on a 6' 5" guard that can handle the ball and rebound. That is a pretty good combination, as we all saw this year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We also saw games where our guards could not hit the broadside of a barn from the perimeter. Extra guard may help solve that problem.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
One of the reasons we were good last season was not because we had the most talent. Kansas and Baylor had way more talent than us last year and I think at the end of the year we were better than both of them. We have to be smart about who we pick up. We already have a stacked roster and if you start ******* guys off that are a big piece of that locker room then you jeopardize our chemistry. I say leave this guy alone.
We had 2 All-Americans and 3 All-Big 12 players.

But to your point- it supports that taking a guy like Wesley. If you think we lacked talent, you are not talking about Kane and Ejim, and now next year we have a stacked roster? If we lacked talent last year, you should be all for Wesley next year.

Last edited:

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
That would be Thomas and Naz's problem, not Wesley's.
Did we have too many guards "that are going to play" when we went after Kane last year? You get talent like Wesley and BDJ, and Thomas and Naz are not going to play. I like our young guys, but Wesley and BDJ are not going to lose PT to Thomas or Naz. Morris, BDJ, and Wesley in the starting role with Naz filling the sharp-shooter off the bench like McGee. Besides Year 1, Fred has played 4 guards major minutes.

With BDJ it is probably a harder sell than some, but a lot of places are going to have even more established competition.

Did you really just try comparing this to last year?

We had ZERO guard experience when before Kane got here. Now we have BDJ, Morris, Thomas, and Naz who have significant experience, and a young talent like Custer who WILL see the floor. Hell with all the work SDW is putting in it's still possible he sneaks into the rotation as well.

We already have a log jam of players. Bringing in transfers who have to sit out would be more likely than another senior who plays right away. Unless maybe it's a post.

I'd like to find another high upside project like SDW, because we are pretty set and we can't play every eligible player. Well we could, but smart coaches don't.

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
Preseason rankings are one indicator of pure talent. Where were we? And make a list of how many stars our players had compared to Baylor as recruits. Also, make a list of NBA players on our roster vs Kansas and Baylor. If you look at the talent on paper they win. Yes at the end of the year we had more players winning awards but part of that is attributed to our system, our coach, and our chemistry. Do you think Ejim would have won that same award on Baylor's team? Do you think Kane would have won those awards on Pitt?

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
I'm just saying that talent isn't everything. Sometimes you take chemistry over talent. The pieces have to fit together. If Fred gets this guy I'll trust Fred... he obviously knows what our playing time should look like, how players are improving, where we need help, how the locker room will respond, etc. But my opinion is that this guy doesn't fit.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm just saying that talent isn't everything. Sometimes you take chemistry over talent. The pieces have to fit together. If Fred gets this guy I'll trust Fred... he obviously knows what our playing time should look like, how players are improving, where we need help, how the locker room will respond, etc. But my opinion is that this guy doesn't fit.

Chemistry without talent is a futile exercise of its own.
The talent wasn't well recognized before the season, but we had plenty of talent on the team.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Banking the scholarship for a Jameel McKay-type situation is silly. The likelihood of that happening again is fairly low.

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
We've got the open scholarship (thanks Darien, for the shoulder surgery thing), Wesley's got the profile. The chemistry concern begs the question, who's going to be the whiner? I don't see any of our returning players being the type to get pissy if somebody comes in that makes us more likely to win. The only reason to pass on Wesley would be if he has a particular personality issue that makes him incompatible. We play the style of ball he seems to want to play and he has the skills to contribute for us, it's a no brainer to at least make a couple calls. No, we don't need him to win a title but wouldn't it be nice to have more talent than we need?

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
Banking the scholarship for a Jameel McKay-type situation is silly. The likelihood of that happening again is fairly low.

Not only is it silly, Fred's already shown a willingness to make the tough calls about personnel. Wasn't it Fowler or Okoro just this last summer that we cut loose right before we signed McKay?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Not only is it silly, Fred's already shown a willingness to make the tough calls about personnel. Wasn't it Fowler or Okoro just this last summer that we cut loose right before we signed McKay?

Neither. Bluford left but it was just coincidence since McKay couldn't use his scholarship anyway.

Help Support Us

Become a patron