FREDDY - Meet Byron Wesley...

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
And it says one of his cons is 3 pt. percentage… Im pretty sure a year with Freddy could fix that...

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Agreed. 6-5 is great for a guard. Going for that Hok de"r"pth?

I don't think ISU would have to worry about the problems associated with this level of depth unless our head coach develops serious anger issues and starts wearing "lady glasses" while on the sidelines..

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So did Wesley and BDJ play together at any pooint at USC?

The more you think about positionless bball, the more you like recruiting him. What is better than one Kane? A BDJ and a Wesley. Both at 6-5 and you can move them around the board for mismatches. Bill Self would not be happy to look at all the big guards that his troops will have to play.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I don't think there is really a "need" for next year at all, which means you plan for the future or you recruit the best possible talent if you think they're good enough to contribute. With the way Fred has run the team I wouldn't be suprised at all to see ISU go after him.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
If the kid can play immediately, there is no need to "bank" a scholarship. That scholarship will Ibe availabile for 2015 HS grads.

Doubt Fred is gunna just bring in someone for the hell of it, and highly unlikely a player is gunna come in like that. Not saying that's the case here.

If you do bank it, it can be a selling point to tell a mid season transfer that you have an immediate scholarship. We actually got pretty lucky that McKay was willing to pay his own way for a semester. Some kids are not willing to, or may not be able to do the same.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
PG is probably our biggest need if we're looking at true positions. We don't play true positions though, so just get the best talent here.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
You'd be stupid not to take him. If he shows interest, might as well go for him. Morris, Long, and Thomas would probably lose minutes, but it wouldn't be an awful loss of minutes.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
There's been a lot of debate whether we would want him or not but I don't even know if it would come to that. He could be the focal point of a lot of good teams out there. I don't think that would be the case at ISU next year, and he has his draft status to worry about.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Yeah, we probably would not get a look, but a backcourt of MM, BDJ, Wesley, and Naz would be incredible to go with a frontcourt of Georges, McKay, Hogue, and Nader. Plus, Custer and Thomas as needed...wow.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, we probably would not get a look, but a backcourt of MM, BDJ, Wesley, and Naz would be incredible to go with a frontcourt of Georges, McKay, Hogue, and Nader. Plus, Custer and Thomas as needed...wow.

That would likely be as talented, top to bottom, as ISU has ever been.

CaseyJones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2008
Guessing if he is averaging 17 points a game he is not going to be wanting to sit on the bench. With BDJ, Naz, Matty and Nadar - minutes are going to be tough to come about.

Could Thomas and Custer both redshirt, along with possibly Anderson (what the heck, Huff, too)? They, along with Williams, would make a great group when they become eligible.

Last edited:

CyKings

Jun 5, 2013
Kansas City, KS
Could Thomas and Custer both redshirt, along with possibly Anderson? They, along with Williams, would make a great group when they become eligible.

Very rarely do you redshirt a player in his sophomore year. I doubt that works on Thomas, generally a redshirt is used to allow a player to build muscle and get used to the speed of the game. Thomas having already played a year would not redshirt for either of those reasons.

I say go for him. We have 2 schollys available, and for those who think we only have one I will point you towards:

http://cyclonefanatic.com/basketball/mens/scholarship-chart/

We could be stacked if we get another experienced PG. If we played true positions it could look something like this

1: Morris, Wesley, Custer
2: BDJ, Naz, SDW
3: Nader, Thomas
4: Hogue, Edozie
5: Niang, McKay

Regardless someone is going to draw the short straw, and not get the minutes they might get somewhere else, whether we go after him or not.

Help Support Us

Become a patron