FREDDY - Meet Byron Wesley...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think we have to plan for the future with that last scholly. I trust Fred but I doubt he is too interested-- that would create quite the backlog at the guard position.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Would seem redundant to BDJ but it's all about getting the best players possible into the rotation and he is very good. We'l see.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Guessing if he is averaging 17 points a game he is not going to be wanting to sit on the bench. With BDJ, Naz, Matty and Nadar - minutes are going to be tough to come about.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I just don't see us taking another guard transfer for next year… don't want to **** off one of the guards we currently have forcing them to want to transfer.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Guessing if he is averaging 17 points a game he is not going to be wanting to sit on the bench. With BDJ, Naz, Matty and Nadar - minutes are going to be tough to come about.

Being honest, minutes would be tough to come by for some of the other guys, not Wesley. He's good enough to get significant minutes.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
6'5 guard that can score and shoots a high percentage. Yes please. MT and SDW can sit one more year. Another guard like this would allow us to go very big or very small extremely effectively.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
He crashes the glass (remind anyone else of a certain PG on our team last year) and shoots 70%+ from free throw (an area of desperate need of improvement). This guy is good enough you take him if he wants to come. He's one and done (not costing us a redshirt year) meaning the scholarship is immediately available for a 2015 HS grad. No harm done.

**Can anyone verify that he is a grad student and can play right away?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Unless we're losing someone, I don't see us going after him. As Cinci has said, he's pretty similar to BDJ. Not to say that two guys like that can't play together, but it's not a great need, now that BDJ is in the fold. With Naz and Thomas to back up (perfect players for that role), our backcourt is sitting really well.

The front court will end up sitting really well once we get Nader and McKay back. The first couple of games we'll have to play pretty small without Nader. Once he's back, we'll get a little longer. Once McKay is eligible, we'll be pretty set in the front court as well.

I tend to think we use 1 scholarship on Hollowell/Anderson (or another player) that has to sit for a year. Then we probably bank one in case someone really good comes up this summer or 1st semester for some reason.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
If the kid can play immediately, there is no need to "bank" a scholarship. That scholarship will be availabile for 2015 HS grads.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
He crashes the glass (remind anyone else of a certain PG on our team last year) and shoots 70%+ from free throw (an area of desperate need of improvement). This guy is good enough you take him if he wants to come. He's one and done (not costing us a redshirt year) meaning the scholarship is immediately available for a 2015 HS grad. No harm done.

I believe he tweeted he will graduate form USC and transfer to another school for his last year...

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012

He tweeted that he's graduating this summer.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
Sort of interesting that Tim Floyd probably recruited this kid as a HS junior to USC....the circle of life.