Off-Topic Thursday!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Hopefully for many of you, it's your Friday! I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a four day weekend and I'm so ready for it! It looks like we may even get over 60 the next few days :jiggy:

Since Angie and 2015 won't have their questions up til tomorrow, I'll do my public service and help provide myself and others something to distract us from all the things we should probably get done today.

So since I'm in full-on home-buying mode, tell us how you knew that your home was "the one". What about it just felt right? If you don't have a home, tell us how you knew that ISU was the college for you!

If neither apply, you don't get to play. Or you can say your favorite Easter candy, but if the answer is "peeps", you are a terrible person. :jimlad:

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
candy_reeses-egg.jpg

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
When I walked into my condo and saw the panoramic view of the ocean, both the realtor and my friend who was with me said my face lit up like a Christmas tree.

I like those chocolate covered malted milk eggs. However, I cannot ever find them anymore. Just the malted milk middles with only the candy shell - they're no good without the chocolate.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
Hopefully for many of you, it's your Friday! I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a four day weekend and I'm so ready for it! It looks like we may even get over 60 the next few days :jiggy:

Since Angie and 2015 won't have their questions up til tomorrow, I'll do my public service and help provide myself and others something to distract us from all the things we should probably get done today.

So since I'm in full-on home-buying mode, tell us how you knew that your home was "the one". What about it just felt right? If you don't have a home, tell us how you knew that ISU was the college for you!

If neither apply, you don't get to play. Or you can say your favorite Easter candy, but if the answer is "peeps", you are a terrible person. :jimlad:

I built my home. That way we could get exactly what we wanted.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
When I walked into my condo and saw the panoramic view of the ocean, both the realtor and my friend who was with me said my face lit up like a Christmas tree.

I like those chocolate covered malted milk eggs. However, I cannot ever find them anymore. Just the malted milk middles with only the candy shell - they're no good without the chocolate.

I believe you are looking for Robins Eggs. Also, I wouldn't mind a pic of the view.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Home--we aren't in a forever home yet, so every house so far was what worked for the time we bought. Our first home met most of our criteria. We had a beautiful yard and a play set came with the house. Too bad we moved when our oldest was 9mo. Right now I love our backyard, we back to a field so have open space plus get to see corn or beans all summer and watch planting/harvest. We also added a nice patio/pergola/landscaping. We have outgrown the house but no plans to move right now.

I only applied to Iowa State. No other choice in my mind.

The Easter Bunny is only bringing chocolate to our house. Every year we do jelly beans and no one eats them. So chocolate eggs, Robin's eggs, Ghirardelli chocolate, Reece's eggs and Kit Kats this year.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I thought the people who said you'd know your home when you found it were full of it. But when we walked into our house it was pretty obvious that it was the best mix of our wants, needs, and budget. Years later I can still say that initial impression was pretty spot on.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I thought the people who said you'd know your home when you found it were full of it. But when we walked into our house it was pretty obvious that it was the best mix of our wants, needs, and budget. Years later I can still say that initial impression was pretty spot on.

I didn't even see my upstairs and I knew I wanted my house. Saw the main floor, then back yard, walked into an awesome garage and told my wife "I'll take it."

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
We found our home by accident. We had some open houses mapped out, but they didn't start until 2pm or so. Stopped at Dairy Queen and saw a "for sale by owner" sign for a house a few blocks away. We checked it out and it was everything we wanted. Had a big garage, nice backyard, and a spot so I could put up a basketball hoop. Been here since 2005. The only thing I don't like and will always remember is that the day we moved was Chase Daniel's coming out party.:mad:

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Howdy, Cowgirl. It's Maundy Thursday, can't trust that day. Maundy Thursday, sometimes it just turns out that way...

Home is where you hang your hat, but so few people wear hats these days (sorry Pharell, that Smokey-Bear thang will NOT catch on), I guess that means we are all homeless.

Best Easter Candy...oh yeah, those malted milk ball eggs. Took a couple of those once to our old high school biology teacher and asked him to say what bird they came from.

:pcool:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
When I walked in a saw how open and light it was, I was pretty sure I wanted the house.

I think I decided ISU was the college for me only when they said I could go for free. I wasn't too keen on it prior to that. :smile:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I flipped a coin and ended up at ISU. Plus I would have flunked out of Iowa, because I knew too many people there.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I dont own a home but there was never a doubt that ISU was where I was going. Would have been disowned from the family if I had went somewhere else.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
So, I may have a slight case of OCD. Even though we had a pretty good feeling for what was "the one," I designed a spreadsheet that had a weighted metric for different parts of the house - numbers of bedrooms and bathrooms, for example, were weighed pretty high, since that's hard to change. The kitchen got a medium weight, since you can change it, but it's cost-prohibitive.

My husband at first thought I was a freak, but we actually really used it while we were house-hunting.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
We are definitely not in our Forever home, but where we currently live isn't too bad. It's got a nice big yard for the kids and room for a garden and the living space inside is set up nicely for being built in 1959. Our options for Forever home are either buy part of a homestead from the land my husband rents and build (our preference) or move to the farm where I grew up and my parents still currently live. As far as farm operations go, that would make more sense, but the home (while it's perfectly nice and was a great place to grow up) isn't the style my husband and I prefer. And I don't want my parents to move. Ever.

Like everyone in my family, I only applied to Iowa State. For me, there was no need to apply elsewhere, even though my HS guidance counselor wanted me to try places like Michigan, Northwestern, Notre Dame, etc... I took one look at the applications and was like "nope, too much work."

As far as I'm concerned, Cadbury Mini Eggs are the only Easter candy. I do like Peeps, though, because sugar on sugar on sugar. Who needs cavity-free teeth? If I absolutely need jelly beans, I can buy them on clearance after Easter. Besides, the kids usually get more than they can eat from the ILs.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I built my home. That way we could get exactly what we wanted.

our realtor brought that up the first day we met but we were like "that is crazy". We have a meeting Monday with a builder, just to "talk". I'm just convinced it will be waaaaaaaay more to build what we want than to buy.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
So, I may have a slight case of OCD. Even though we had a pretty good feeling for what was "the one," I designed a spreadsheet that had a weighted metric for different parts of the house - numbers of bedrooms and bathrooms, for example, were weighed pretty high, since that's hard to change. The kitchen got a medium weight, since you can change it, but it's cost-prohibitive.

My husband at first thought I was a freak, but we actually really used it while we were house-hunting.

I may or may not have a similar spreadsheet. Our realtor may have also banned me from bringing my notebook with me through the last few houses so I would stop focusing on the analytics.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron