Lost Letterman is a fan of the whirly bird...

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
BYU's barely changed and I think they are actually better now.

Iowa State did whatever damage it could powered by the “Cyclone Bird” - the half-hawk, half-weather phenomenon that adorned its helmets.

:nah:

If you think a hawk and a cardinal are the same thing I can't take what you are trying to say seriously Lost Letterman...not to mention mixing up the birds of two instate rivals...

The problem with ISU's jerseys were A) the blue (SOOO glad the blue is gone) and B) our logo wasn't branding or recognizable enough. College sports/ESPN watchers recognize "I-State" better now but the twirly bird could've been a couple different schools to a casual fan.

FSU and Miami's old ones were definitely better.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
BYU's barely changed and I think they are actually better now.

:nah:

If you think a hawk and a cardinal are the same thing I can't take what you are trying to say seriously Lost Letterman...not to mention mixing up the birds of two instate rivals...

The problem with ISU's jerseys were A) the blue (SOOO glad the blue is gone) and B) our logo wasn't branding or recognizable enough. College sports/ESPN watchers recognize "I-State" better now but the twirly bird could've been a couple different schools to a casual fan.

FSU and Miami's old ones were definitely better.
How is the I State more recognizable than the Cyclone bird combo. That doesn't really make any sense.

I can understand someone saying it is easier to recognize on a helmet or something, but the wirily bird one is much more recognizable as Iowa State.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
How is the I State more recognizable than the Cyclone bird combo. That doesn't really make any sense.

I can understand someone saying it is easier to recognize on a helmet or something, but the wirily bird one is much more recognizable as Iowa State.

Isn't being more easily recognized on a helmet being more recognizable?

ISU is more recognizable today obvs. Fred Hoiberg and games in FB like the OSU upset win that was all over ESPN - that has a lot to do with it along with the TV deals (Pretty much all of our games are televised now and the I-State logo is on the bottom ticker watched by sports fans all throughout the college season now.

When you see "I-State" you COULD think Illinois State, Indiana State, Idaho State as well, but most college fans are going to know that Iowa State is the only major school/BCS school of the bunch and is on TV much more (don't know the last time I've seen any of those others on TV.

When you see the just a helmet with a Whirly Bird on it, it doesn't narrow down what school it is AT ALL. It is just too busy. Most people could get Iowa State from the "I-State" logo compared to a picture of a whirly bird that honestly could be ANY school. Seeing a whirlybird picture doesn't tell anyone who you are.

If you asked someone on the street to identify the two logos below, which do you think they would be more likely to identify as "Louisiana State University?"
apg_1227566937.gif
LSU_Tigers2.jpg

I'm not against the whirly bird logo, but I just don't think it works on a helmet or midcourt of Hilton. People know I-State when they see it now is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
My choices
FSU - old
Miami - old
Pitt - toss-up...maybe incorporate throwbacks a couple times
ASU - new
Syracuse - new
ISU - new
OSU - new
Arizona - old
New Mexico - new
BYU - new
Maryland - old
SDSU - new

So I guess I don't really agree with much of the article.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I honestly preferred the combination of the late 2000s where I-State was the primary and the whirlybird was the secondary. The beer-belly Cy they use now is just an abomination. And while I prefer the whirlybird, I would have much rather gone back to the stomping Cy from the 1980s than what we're using now.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Isn't being more easily recognized on a helmet being more recognizable?

ISU is more recognizable today obvs. Fred Hoiberg and games in FB like the OSU upset win that was all over ESPN - that has a lot to do with it along with the TV deals (Pretty much all of our games are televised now and the I-State logo is on the bottom ticker watched by sports fans all throughout the college season now.

When you see "I-State" you COULD think Illinois State, Indiana State, Idaho State as well, but most college fans are going to know that Iowa State is the only major school/BCS school of the bunch and is on TV much more (don't know the last time I've seen any of those others on TV.

When you see the just a helmet with a Whirly Bird on it, it doesn't narrow down what school it is AT ALL. It is just too busy. Most people could get Iowa State from the "I-State" logo compared to a picture of a whirly bird that honestly could be ANY school. Seeing a whirlybird picture doesn't tell anyone who you are.

If you asked someone on the street to identify the two logos below, which do you think they would be more likely to identify as "Louisiana State University?"
View attachment 26255
View attachment 26254

I'm not against the whirly bird logo, but I just don't think it works on a helmet or midcourt of Hilton. People know I-State when they see it now is all I'm saying.
Just because one is more recognizable today doesn't mean it identifies the school better. The LSU one is more recognizable because that one is used more. Besides LSU isn't a good example because there are so many tigers. With something unique like Cyclones a cyclone as the logo creates more brand recognition.

People knew the whirlybird logo just as much as the I State logo. At least they would have given the same surrounding situations.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
When the guy calls an ISU logo a combination of a HAWK and anything else he's truly destined to be WRONG.

The end.

If he were going for the Criner 1980's Tornado/Iowa State logo I'd at least be able to understand it.

3hsbh0hs6q89raim5ym969lgq.gif

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
When the guy calls an ISU logo a combination of a HAWK and anything else he's truly destined to be WRONG.

The end.

If he were going for the Criner 1980's Tornado/Iowa State logo I'd at least be able to understand it.

3hsbh0hs6q89raim5ym969lgq.gif

this is the best logo ever. too bad we sucked so bad during its tenure. perhaps we would still have the dopest logo in the big 12

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
this letterman is a fan of the whirlybird, so much so that I have it tattoo'd on my shoulder

Help Support Us

Become a patron