Cyclone 2014 class

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tgraham1984

Apr 1, 2014
Starting to look through your recruiting class just to educate myself on the rivals to the west in Lincoln and Ames. I have to say that I am pretty impressed with Lazard of course, but I feel Warren could be the really special player out of this class besides Lazard. With his speed and production it makes me wonder why he wan't recruited more heavily. Was he a late bloomer his senior year? His clips remind me of Melvin Gordon's clips. Wait til he puts some good football weight and watch out. So far Wesley, Lazard and Warren really stick out.

That being said here are 3 questions for you guys before I continue to look at more reels.

1. Beyond Juco who are the players you feel will see the field the earliest?

2. What offensive and defensive recruits excite you the most?

3. Who do you guys feel the sleeper of the class was?

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Starting to look through your recruiting class just to educate myself on the rivals to the west in Lincoln and Ames. I have to say that I am pretty impressed with Lazard of course, but I feel Warren could be the really special player out of this class besides Lazard. With his speed and production it makes me wonder why he wan't recruited more heavily. Was he a late bloomer his senior year? His clips remind me of Melvin Gordon's clips. Wait til he puts some good football weight and watch out. So far Wesley, Lazard and Warren really stick out.

That being said here are 3 questions for you guys before I continue to look at more reels.

1. Lazard obviously and our punter Colin Downing will be the starter the moment he walks on campus. I also think Brian Peavy has an outside shot to play Freshman year like Tribune.

2. Most excited about Michael Warren and Jauan Wesley. Couple of big time playmakers. On the D, I'm jacked to see Sam Seonbuchner in a few years. Northrop sounds like our Nickelback in 2 years.

3. The sleepers may be Warren and Mike Johnson just because of how late we picked them up.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Obviously, Lazard is the headliner. He's going to play. Downing will start right away. I expect all of the JUCOs to be right in the two deep or competing for it. Other than that, I'm guessing all of the FR will redshirt, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a CB like Ruth, Johnson or Peavey play. Maybe Syria or Warren at RB, but I doubt it.

I think that the strength of the class is at WR, CB and RB. Wesley is a great get for the slot, although he will probably redshirt and wait for Jarvis West to graduate. Good developmental players on the OL and TE. Seonbuchner will be a good LB down the line. Glaring hole at DL and DE as far as HS kids go.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Warren didn't get his qualifying scores until later in the year. He really wanted to go to OU, but they took other backs instead. He had a relationship with Ayeni already started so it was pretty easy for Ayeni to pull him in when the got the RB job.

As for sleeper of the class, I'm going to go with Syria.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
What kind of fan(possible troll) are you?

I found nothing wrong or "trolling" about his post..

1. Lazard (stud) and Downing (Saw some of his punting highlights and we will miss Kirby's production, but not for too long. He'll be good) Other than them I don't see any 2014 class freshman playing this year barring injury or something.

2. Lazard again (obvs.) but also excited about DLC (highlights look good and coaches were high enough on him that they weren't going to take a QB at all in the class unless it was him and that says something.) Sam Seonbuchner at LB and Reggan Northrup at DB both have me excited. Kory Kodanko will also be a hell of an OL down the line.

3. Brian Peavy and De'Monte Ruth both could be sleepers at the DB position but I'd go with Michael Warren at RB or Terry Ayeni on the Dline.

tgraham1984

Apr 1, 2014
What kind of fan(possible troll) are you?

I am a Hawkeye fan. I just enjoy talking to other fanbases about football. It can get boring only discussing Iowa football. Always curious to see who is coming up and what is going on with the rival programs. I live in Bellevue, NE now so I am always up to date with those guys. A funny group they are. Not a troll, but will probably post here and there on CF.

Reactions: Rick

tgraham1984

Apr 1, 2014
The LB from Wisconsin is pretty darn good. Also Syria and Warren could be a great 1-2 punch someday. Syria is a super smooth runner. Not sure who is in your RB stable besides Wimberly, but if they flounder I could see one or both play.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I am a Hawkeye fan. I just enjoy talking to other fanbases about football. It can get boring only discussing Iowa.

Tell me about it. lol :twitcy: There is a small percentage of posters here that do it, but find a way to discuss Iowa in EVERY thread when it doesn't call for it.

I also almost forgot about Martinez Syria btw - he looks really good on tape.

Not sure who is in your RB stable besides Wimberly, but if they flounder I could see one or both play.

backup is DeVondrick Nealy, he is great in return game and somewhat battle tested at RB despite being behind White, Johnson, Woody, Wimberly the past 2 years:

CAREER STATSRUSHINGRECEIVING
SEASONATTYDSAVGLNGTDRECYDSAVGLNGTD

I would guess Rob Standard would be behind him. He played mostly special teams last year, but scored a TD in mop up duty against WIU in 2012. He was a stud setting the HS rushing record out of STL, MO @ Chaminade.

Last edited:

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

1. Lazard will more than likely play right away, as will the punter Downing. Defensive back Mike Johnson is a guy who may be forced to see the field earlier rather than later, especially if their are injuries at cornerback this season.

2. On offense it's got to be Lazard and Warren. I believe Warren was a guy who a lot of schools weren't sure whether he'd qualify or not, hence the reason he's ending up in Ames and not staying in the state of Oklahoma. On defense Sam Seonbuchner is a guy who has been compared to A.J. Klein, and who I'm certainly excited to have.

3. I'd say the sleeper is Martinez Syria. He's a fullback type who can probably get up to 230-240 pounds, but will be faster than Jeff Woody.

tgraham1984

Apr 1, 2014
The guy referred to as DLC. Is he being projected at QB? He seems like a very good athlete like a future at WR or CB. Kid seems like a playmaker. His clips remind me of Micah Hyde's out of HS.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
The guy referred to as DLC. Is he being projected at QB? He seems like a very good athlete like a future at WR or CB. Kid seems like a playmaker. His clips remind me of Micah Hyde's out of HS.

He'll play QB when he's first on campus. Obviously there is always a chance a guy who is that athletic will switch positions if he's buried in the depth chart, but he was very much recruited as a QB.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Forgot to mention Orion Salters as a sleeper. He's a small, fast guy who could excel as a slot receiver down the road.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Not sure who is in your RB stable besides Wimberly, but if they flounder I could see one or both play.

Nealy and Standard are the backups.

According to Rivals, Nealy had offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Michigan, Tennessee, Ole Miss, and others. Given the fact that he is trying to change how he hits holes instead of trying to break everything outside, and with a refurbished O Line, I am expecting greater things from him this year. He's one of those guys that has the speed to take it to the house every time he touches it.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I am going with LB Willie Harvey as a future sleeper. Nobody talks about him and it seems as if many don't even realize he is part of the class. The last LB we signed around 6'0 200 with not many major offers turned out OK (Jeremiah George)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
1. Lazard will more than likely play right away, as will the punter Downing. Defensive back Mike Johnson is a guy who may be forced to see the field earlier rather than later, especially if their are injuries at cornerback this season.

2. On offense it's got to be Lazard and Warren. I believe Warren was a guy who a lot of schools weren't sure whether he'd qualify or not, hence the reason he's ending up in Ames and not staying in the state of Oklahoma. On defense Sam Seonbuchner is a guy who has been compared to A.J. Klein, and who I'm certainly excited to have.

3. I'd say the sleeper is Martinez Syria. He's a fullback type who can probably get up to 230-240 pounds, but will be faster than Jeff Woody.
Suspect we will see a lot of Syria around the goal lines.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I think Warren could see time as the #3 RB. Downing starting at punter, Lazard seeing time at WR, and I think we may have to play a freshman CB as well. I personally think Johnson looks like the best of the bunch there, but we will really have to wait and see about that.