Most over rated band of all time

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Who would you all say is the most over rated rock band of all time and why?

Some of the most over rated bands to me are AC/DC, Sublime, Nickleback... there are a bunch. But #1 on that list is Nirvana. Kirk Cobain could barely play guitar, and wasn't that great of a singer. They played catchy songs, and had this raw and somewhat fresh style and look, but they really were not good musicians. The first time I ever picked up a guitar, I learned how to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" that's how easy their songs are.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
kind of off topic i made a account hawkeye nation about a week ago and i still cant post yet, i even emailed them 2 days ago and havent got a email back wtf

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA

Some of the most over rated bands to me are AC/DC, Sublime, Nickleback... there are a bunch. But #1 on that list is Nirvana. Kirk Cobain could barely play guitar, and wasn't that great of a singer. They played catchy songs, and had this raw and somewhat fresh style and look, but they really were not good musicians. The first time I ever picked up a guitar, I learned how to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" that's how easy their songs are.
Sometimes a band, and music (and life) in general, isn't about how difficult it is. Finding something amazing in the simple is its own kind of genius.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
I don't know if Nickelback is overrated or not, but I hate them with a deep passion. Their songs all sound the same.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'll go with Nirvana but for a different reason. I just feel like they fell into a right place, right time type of situation. That's not to say that they were devoid of talent - Dave Grohl has turned out to not only be a great drummer but one he'll of a good frontman. And I'll stop short of calling Cobain a genius but there was something magnetic about him that drew people in.
I just think that the grunge era would have happened with or without Nirvana. And their long term influence on music is questionable.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
kind of off topic i made a account hawkeye nation about a week ago and i still cant post yet, i even emailed them 2 days ago and havent got a email back wtf

Kind of?

And all this thread is gonna turn into is people listing the bands they don't like and calling them over rated.

H

HGPuck

When I saw the thread title the first two that came to mind where AC/DC and Nirvana. But was surprised to see them in your post because they both seem to be loved by most. I do have to say that part of the problem for both is they each have a handful of songs that get significantly overplayed at sporting events and on the radio.

Nickleback isn't overrated, only because of the almost universal hate for them outside of their relatively small set of fans. I almost always find it funny, hearing hate for Nickleback is kind the inverse of hearing the The Beatles are someone's favorite band. Its a safe answer that rarely gets an argument from whoever the person is talking to (although I would put The Beatles on the most overrated list too, partially for that reason).

For the record, I don't think I've ever heard a Nickleback song I've enjoyed and there are some AC/DC & Nirvana songs outside the really overplayed that I listen to.

Last edited by a moderator: