Paul Rhoads on Jake Campos...

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I didn't have enough to actually write about this but thought you all might find his quote on Campos' development interesting.

“I think he will be in a position to offer depth. At this point, he is playing like a true freshman, which is okay because he is playing against a kid who could be a second-team, first-team, could be an All-Big 12 player in Morrissey. That’s who he is having to block and pass protect against so it really is helping him grow up fast. Jake is a guy who you can coach hard. Jake is a guy who is hardest on himself. He’s really hard on himself, sometimes as a detriment to his own advancement and development. I’d rather have that than the other. His overall ceiling is so high. Who knows where he can get by August 31? Right now, he is a guy who you watch on the field at 4 o’clock and at 6:30 you say, ‘You improved today.’â€￾

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Good to here. The offensive line appears to be pretty deep. Could really be a strength on that side of the ball.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Morrissey isn't that good.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I thought Morrissey was our 2nd best lineman behind Irving. Coe a distant 3rd, had the athleticism and size but didn't really look like he did more than slap fight with a guard every play he was actually blocked.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

Did you watch the games last year? Morrissey was the most athletic lineman we had. For a "not that good" defensive end he sure ran a lot of backs down from behind or made plays in the flat.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Can Campos play defense? All I want to know is if Campos can play defense.

Would not surprise me in the least if someone from the OL switched in the Fall. We add Taiese & 3 freshman OL in the Fall, so could someone pull a Tuba Rubin & make a quick switch?

Someone had brought this up when we added Taiese late in the recruiting process. Not saying it would be him, but the attrition in the short time since then may make this more of a possibility - right?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Was wondering about him. Last I hear was he was a 4 star and then he redshirted.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Would not surprise me in the least if someone from the OL switched in the Fall. We add Taiese & 3 freshman OL in the Fall, so could someone pull a Tuba Rubin & make a quick switch?

Someone had brought this up when we added Taiese late in the recruiting process. Not saying it would be him, but the attrition in the short time since then may make this more of a possibility - right?

Don't quote me on this, but I believe I remember Ben Loth playing defensive tackle in one of the cyclones.tv videos. If Severs is ready to back up Farniok, I'd be all for this move.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I was actually thinking that when he signed. Look at the positions:

OG: They bring back Lalk and Burton, who both started a bunch of games. Neither was probably ready, but they gained a lot of experience and will surely be improved. Omoile started a few games. He was undersized, but has put on weight in the offseason. Glenn seems to be pushing the starters.

OT: Both Dagel and Gannon are back and those two were starters for most of the season. Campos is a solid 2. Dunning and Curtis are definitely a year away in size and experience not to mention they aren't as talented as Campos. If there was a hole for Taiese to step in, it would be at OT, but I don't know if he has the quickness to play there.

NG: Name a NG outside of Cousins. Maybe Trent, but he probably needs another year. If Taiese moved here, he could be someone who gets a lot of snaps. He's plenty big and physical. Maybe pad level is an issue, but it would sure be nice to have someone with that size rotating in. I think that moving Taiese to NG makes a ton of sense.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I was actually thinking that when he signed. Look at the positions:

OG: They bring back Lalk and Burton, who both started a bunch of games. Neither was probably ready, but they gained a lot of experience and will surely be improved. Omoile started a few games. He was undersized, but has put on weight in the offseason. Glenn seems to be pushing the starters.

OT: Both Dagel and Gannon are back and those two were starters for most of the season. Campos is a solid 2. Dunning and Curtis are definitely a year away in size and experience not to mention they aren't as talented as Campos. If there was a hole for Taiese to step in, it would be at OT, but I don't know if he has the quickness to play there.

NG: Name a NG outside of Cousins. Maybe Trent, but he probably needs another year. If Taiese moved here, he could be someone who gets a lot of snaps. He's plenty big and physical. Maybe pad level is an issue, but it would sure be nice to have someone with that size rotating in. I think that moving Taiese to NG makes a ton of sense.

For what it's worth, Taiese is actually listed as a tackle on a decent amount of recruiting profiles.

Here's a video of him in high school. At the end there are some defensive highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8w84a0P5Mo

And of course his JUCO hudl video. Dude can move.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1815495/highlights/82710381

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron