Strength and Conditioning

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Truly not to flame too hard but am i the only one who is concerned with the direction of our S&C program? All we heard about last year was how great this treadmill was and that ISU was the only school in the nation with this advanced treadmill. Well…That treadmill made our Oline look like a women's volleyball team..tall and skinny. Why is it that every single year the team out east has Dline and Oline MEN who look just huge. I mean it's not like our Olineman are short and small coming in. We have some big dudes body type wise. Maybe it was more the way in which our oline in particular was being taught to block more finesse than brute smack you in the mouth. I really hope, and it seems to be the case, that we have gone back to developing our oline into big, strong dudes who can push you around. Maybe I'm off here but it just seems like the last couple years our dine penetration and oline development from a strength standpoint has been underwhelming to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Re: Strength and Cond...

Truly not to flame too hard but am i the only one who is concerned with the direction of our S&C program? All we heard about last year was how great this treadmill was and that ISU was the only school in the nation with this advanced treadmill. Well…That treadmill made our Oline look like a women's volleyball team..tall and skinny. Why is it that every single year the team out east has Dline and Oline MEN who look just huge. I mean it's not like our Olineman are short and small coming in. We have some big dudes body type wise. Maybe it was more the way in which our oline in particular was being taught to block more finesse than brute smack you in the mouth. I really hope, and it seems to be the case, that we have gone back to developing our oline into big, strong dudes who can push you around. Maybe I'm off here but it just seems like the last couple years our dine penetration and oline development from a strength standpoint has been underwhelming to say the least.
You are off.
First, Iowa gets better material. It is recruiting not S&C.
Second, CPR intentionally wanted the OL that way to a degree. KO, Hicks, Lamaak, Haughton, Burris, Stephens did not look like volleyball players- and CPR would make comments how he wanted to go to an OLine like Ok St. Then he hired a coach that treated it like cross country. Was it the correct thing to want? I never thought so, but imo it looks like we are going away from that with Mangino.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

They were all tall and athletic kids before they came here. Everyone has put on weight. The Denver Broncos have made a living out of using 'under-sized' linemen. They do just fine. They were all very young and didn't have the time into the weight program to be where everyone wants them to be. You can't tell until a few years out what the treadmills have done for people, but I guarantee you if we have 300 lbs lineman that can get down field and block we will be running the ball all over everyone.

JackDog

Aug 31, 2012
Washington

You are off.
First, Iowa gets better material. It is recruiting not S&C.
Second, CPR intentionally wanted the OL that way to a degree. KO, Hicks, Lamaak, Haughton, Burris, Stephens did not look like volleyball players- and CPR would make comments how he wanted to go to an OLine like Ok St. Then he hired a coach that treated it like cross country. Was it the correct thing to want? I never thought so, but imo it looks like we are going away from that with Mangino.
Your second point seems to agree with what the op said. All the players you listed never trained in our new facility

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

We played like 2 guys on the Oline who you could reasonably expect to be developed last year. Add Graham, Tuftee, and Dika in there and you have some big dudes.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

Do we even know if O-Line runs on the treadmill? Probably should have some facts first.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA

I'm more concerned with the injuries. I don't think we have had significant problems prior to last year under Yancy, so I'm willing to write it off as bad luck for now.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Your second point seems to agree with what the op said. All the players you listed never trained in our new facility
All the players also came in under different staffs. While those guys played it was laid out in black and white that they were not the type of linemen that were ideal for Her-Mess. The difference, which he exaggerates, has to do with what CPR and Co wanted in linemen. Question the direction of the ideals of the offense, not the S&C. Hell, these guys have trained in the new facility for how long in comparison to the old one? A weak correlation at best, and no causation.

Last edited:

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009

This topic seems to come up once in awhile, and I feel most of the time posters questioning our S&C don't know what they're talking about.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

Rhoads was the one who wanted smaller quicker lineman, and as a result recruited such. I think now he's realized some of those guys are okay, but he also needs bigger and bulkier lineman. Hence the reason Taiese is coming.

Also, last year some of the lineman did lose weight during the season, but that was probably more due to Klenakis putting them through cross country workouts all the time. And on top of that, I'm not even sure if the lineman use the treadmills.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com

LOL at this thread.

wsiratemp6.jpg

IlikeTornados

Jan 20, 2010
Ames

Unless you're in the weight room seeing who is running on the treadmills, which I have worked with and are awesome, then stop. You cannot call out Yancy as a reason for any of our injuries.

I highly doubt the linemen are using the treadmills, and if they are then it is very little. Skill players will be the ones using those... but I am not sure because I am not there seeing it.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I think that the whole "thinner, more athletic OL" strategy backfired on them. Sure, it's nice to have OTs that can move with long arms and the ability to stay in front of someone. But at some point, you need some guys that can flat out move the guy in front of them out of the way. The body type that Rhoads was recruiting couldn't do that. Then you get a running game based on deception...the zone read. Guess what happens? The QB is forced to keep all the time and gets the crap kicked out of him. I can guarantee that Mangino sees what needs to be done.

That said, CPR seemed to go away from that recruiting strategy a few years ago. We just haven't seen the benefit of it yet.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

The OL was under weight because the ******* OL coach had them running more than any other position outside DB's.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006

The injuries the OL had last year had a lot more to do with their position coach than anything to do with S&C coaching. We actually had a pretty good OL heading into the season before the injuries hit almost immediately. Just didn't have the depth. When QB's got banged up and started handing the ball off on zone read when they should have been keeping it, it really made the OL look bad because of an unblocked guy. QB decision making from a run game perspective early in the season was very poor.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron