CFTV: An honest Shane Burnham talks DT's

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Wish the offense was high-powered enough to just outscore people with some Arena League type scores.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Hopefully they game plan for it before the season, so I don't have to watch us play cover-2 with the safeties while a 1-AA running back goes for 200+ yards again.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
How bout a 3-4?

I thought about that, but then good rushing linebackers are needed, and I'm not sure we have that. I think it's somewhat likely we see more 3 man fronts, but in the past when we've done that we've been destroyed on the ground. Wally will figure it out, but my guess is a lot of d-backs will be in one-on-one coverage so the linebackers can stay up and clog the middle.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Maybe they can convince Krick that staying another semester and going a few practices on scholarship wouldn't be so bad? Desperation talking.

As long as Irving isn't booted and there isn't any more attrition they make be able to patch together a tenable 2 deep, at least one that's better than those years where Scherbing and Curvey were true freshmen in two deep or where Frere was starting as a true freshman.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Always thought that was an intresting idea for a school like ISU who is going to be able to find good linebackers a lot more often than good DT's. Of course that one tackle has to be a really good noseguard.

Yeah you have to have that 300+ lb mauler in the middle to really stop the run with a 3 man front.

Most of our 3 man fronts have been geared towards stopping the pass against spread teams.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
Yeah you have to have that 300+ lb mauler in the middle to really stop the run with a 3 man front.

Most of our 3 man fronts have been geared towards stopping the pass against spread teams.

Maybe Wendell Taiese will need to do his best impression of Tuba Rubin and switch to DT?

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I was thinking that maybe we'd see Omoile be asked to switch over to DL, or something for spring ball and bolster the depth. He's 6-3 and 300. We don't have experience or depth at all there. On top of that Irving is out of spring ball again and Aka can't get healthy. We're asking a lot of Taylor, Ayeni and Pierson to come in and play at Big12 level at 250 or 260 pounds. The realist is me is thinking we need to be prepared for disaster here.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Irving and Cousins will have to play a lot of snaps this fall, thats for sure.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Maybe a 3-4 is in the cards, not necessarily full time. With Cuz in the middle and Morissey/Irving/Peirson on the outside. Harris and Meeks inside, Knott and Brackens outside with Miller and Seeley to spell them at LB.

That formation could be productive, Rhoads did say that Meeks was running with the 1's. Irving and Pierson certainly have more size at DE which fits in with 3-4, plus either may be able to rotate and spell Cuz at times with others on the team jumping in to rotate at DE.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Cousins and Irving may actually be fine, it's just a matter of whether or not Aka, Garcia, Trent, and Ayeni will be able to contribute.

I'd personally be in favor of an offensive lineman flipping over to the defensive side of the ball. At tackle any big body who can hold down a lineman would help.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
I was thinking that maybe we'd see Omoile be asked to switch over to DL, or something for spring ball and bolster the depth. He's 6-3 and 300. We don't have experience or depth at all there. On top of that Irving is out of spring ball again and Aka can't get healthy. We're asking a lot of Taylor, Ayeni and Pierson to come in and play at Big12 level at 250 or 260 pounds. The realist is me is thinking we need to be prepared for disaster here.

I don't think it's realistic to expect anything more than mediocre. If they can perform at even a mediocre level I would be quite surprised. To be perfectly honest I would be a little surprised if we beat NDSU. We lost to UNI last year, and NDSU dominated Towson in the Championship game at that level. I don't think it's asinine to predict a loss in that game.