Replace shingles

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It seems like every house in my neighborhood has been getting new shingles over the last 6 months. A lot of different builders so I assume different shingles. How long do they usually last and what's the cost for an average two story house?

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
It seems like every house in my neighborhood has been getting new shingles over the last 6 months. A lot of different builders so I assume different shingles. How long do they usually last and what's the cost for an average two story house?

I think my dad always says something like if the shingles last 75% of what the manufacturer says, you are usually doing pretty good. So 30 year shingles should last 20+ years easy.

No idea on cost though. Depends on how large the roof is, how many exhaust pipes are coming out, and how steep the pitch is.

Edit: And how many layers of shingles are already up there.

CyKrog

Sep 15, 2010
WDM
Owens corning offers 50 year warranties if you have a certified contractor install them. Depends on how many square of roofing you have and how steep, but I would guess about 8k.

CyKrog

Sep 15, 2010
WDM
It's against code to add another layer of shingles around here. We have to tear off existing

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
There isn't a house in my area that is over 10 years old

If it was a big arse building development, all of the parts of the house (shingles included) were probably as low end as possible. I'm not surprised what they put up only lasted 10 years.

Shingles come rated for lifespans, with longer life shingles costing more. As was said, roofing costs are based on how many square you have (10'x10'), pitch, and how complex the roof line is. Also, the solid shingles (as opposed to three-tab) last longer. I used to work for my family's construction company and have done my fair share of roofing. I would know.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Severe storms with strong wind and hail can quickly reduce the lifespan of your shingles.

I love how every house in my neighborhood had enough damage to replace the roof (all essentially the same age houses with original roofs) but my insurance company contended that my roof only needed 4 squares replaced.

I pointed out the giant mounds of aggregate under my downspouts and he said that is what they are supposed to do - they absorb the hits and shed aggregate. When I pointed out the denuded spots on the shingles where the aggregate was supposed to be he didn't have an answer for me. I got a reinspection and that guy was even worse than the first guy.

:mad:

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would think they would decrease the life. Not as good of a hold, so wind and water damage is more likely.

It's against code to add another layer of shingles around here. We have to tear off existing

That's what I thought. I realize that there may be labor savings in not tearing off the old, but I don't know why you would ever want to install right over the old roof.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
If your shingles are that new, look into who manufactured them, see if you can find the lot numbers and all that production information.

It's not all that uncommon for there to be recalls or other lot problems with shingles. My parents had theirs replaced after only about 10 years. Another friend of mine did as well.

The fact you have them across builders in one neighborhood is odd however.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If you are planning to be in your house for 10+ years I'd look into a steel roof. They are becoming more competitive with shingles.
I've never had shingles last over 10 years. Even high end ones.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
There isn't a house in my area that is over 10 years old

Recent storms in the area? Whenever we have gotten hail in the past, anywhere in the Chicago area, I get a call from roofers and siding guys saying they can get it all replaced for free. Not sure how they pull it off when there is no damage (been around building all my life, I know when it's time to replace a roof and or siding). But when those calls start coming around, I notice more than a few people in my neighborhood take advantage.

CyKrog

Sep 15, 2010
WDM
You probably have certain teed shingles that got recalled. There have been tons of problems with them, and you should qualify to get 30-70 a square back

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011

Don't you live in Johnston? I know there was a hail storm that went through at the end of last summer and a bunch of people in my neighborhood have gotten new roofs since.

It will cost you your deductible if there is damage. Call them up and have them send somebody to take a look.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Don't you live in Johnston? I know there was a hail storm that went through at the end of last summer and a bunch of people in my neighborhood have gotten new roofs since.

It will cost you your deductible if there is damage. Call them up and have them send somebody to take a look.

yes. I may have to do this

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Owens corning offers 50 year warranties if you have a certified contractor install them. Depends on how many square of roofing you have and how steep, but I would guess about 8k.
If you have a good hailstorm the 30s and 50s will have the same life.