Stephen Colbert to take over for David Letterman

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Just saw that pop up on my phone. CBS is going to give NBC and Fallon a run for their collective money, and may end up winning. Late Night has gotten interesting...

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I think he'll be more mainstream but use a lot of politics in his jokes. Should be interesting.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
is he going to be himself or his character?

and will the show be the same format as the Colbert Show or will it be the same Leno/Letterman/Kimmel set-up?

Also, curious if Jon Stewart had been in the mix at all?

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
and will the show be the same format as the Colbert Show or will it be the same Leno/Letterman/Kimmel set-up?

Also, curious if Jon Stewart had been in the mix at all?

I'd be shocked if they went with his existing format. This is CBS we're talking about.

Jazz/funk band; opening monologue; skit; special guest(s); band/comedian; roll credits.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I don't get the negative on this? Do you guys just not like Colbert?

I'm guessing he will keep pretty much the same format as the current Report. That's why CBS wants him.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The real question is will Jimmy Fallon make it rain green on Colbert's opening night the way Colbert did on Fallon's? :jimlad:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'd be shocked if they went with his existing format. This is CBS we're talking about.

Jazz/funk band; opening monologue; skit; special guest(s); band/comedian; roll credits.

then boooo to this. I don't watch any of the regular late nights anyway because they're boring. Now I'm sad that Colbert is going away.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Ehhhhh. Not looking forward to the show going political.

That's why this is probably such a brilliant hire. CBS probably knows they're not going to compete with Fallon for viewers who'd prefer to watch viral video shorts laced with pop-culture and entertainment references, so why not lock up viewers who'd rather see humor focused on politics and current affairs?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The real question is will Jimmy Fallon make it rain green on Colbert's opening night the way Colbert did on Fallon's? :jimlad:

Technically Colbert made it hail copper!

I'm a little worried, because Fallon is doing awesome right now and I love Colbert the way he is.

I really doubt he would change that much and I hope he wont. He's one of the most dedicated comedians out there because he's almost always in his persona.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

This is what I'd guess too. I remember hearing Kimmel wanted to do a version of the man show and ABC forced him to stick to the old late show format.

Apr 19, 2006
I was kind of hoping for Chelsea Handler, but I understand she's probably a little to raw for the major networks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron