Trend Continues?

Cyclonz

Nov 23, 2009
Denver, CO
In 2000 Iowa State loses to Mich. St in Elite 8 and Mich. St wins it all
In 2005 Iowa State loses to NC in round of 32 and NC wins it all
In 2012 Iowa State loses to KY in round of 32 and KY wins it all
In 2014 Iowa State loses to UCONN in sweet 16 and UCONN ???

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
In 2000 Iowa State loses to Mich. St (in Auburn Hills) in Elite 8 and Mich. St wins it all
In 2005 Iowa State loses to NC in (in Charlotte) round of 32 and NC wins it all
In 2012 Iowa State loses to KY (in Louisville)in round of 32 and KY wins it all
In 2014 Iowa State loses to UCONN (in NYC)in sweet 16 and UCONN ???

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
If Iowa State losses to a team in the NCAA tournament next year, I will go to Vegas and drop a bunch of cash on that team to win it.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Cyclonz In 2000 Iowa State loses to Mich. St (in Auburn Hills) in Elite 8 and Mich. St wins it all
In 2012 Iowa State loses to KY (in Louisville) in round of 32 and KY wins it all
In 2014 Iowa State loses to UCONN (in NYC) in sweet 16 and UCONN ???

That absolutely sucks. Just think if ISU could pull a tourney game in Omaha/St. Louis/Kansas City/Chicago. The NIT tourney is in no way better than the NCAA tournament but at least they do a better job of avoiding unfair homecourt advantages to a lower seed. The most important thing for UCONN was getting ISU and MSU at home in MSG - AS A LOWER, SEVEN SEED. If those two games are played in Kansas City and Auburn Hills, no way.

Last edited by a moderator:

stormchaser

May 15, 2008
That would make it 4 out of the last 6 tourny appearances. I can't decide what I think of that!

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
In 2000 Iowa State loses to Mich. St in Elite 8 and Mich. St wins it all
In 2005 Iowa State loses to NC in round of 32 and NC wins it all
In 2012 Iowa State loses to KY in round of 32 and KY wins it all
In 2014 Iowa State loses to UCONN in sweet 16 and UCONN ???

Was gonna start a thread similar to this but you beat me to it

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If Iowa State losses to a team in the NCAA tournament next year, I will go to Vegas and drop a bunch of cash on that team to win it.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Cyclonz In 2000 Iowa State loses to Mich. St (in Auburn Hills) in Elite 8 and Mich. St wins it all
In 2012 Iowa State loses to KY (in Louisville) in round of 32 and KY wins it all
In 2014 Iowa State loses to UCONN (in NYC) in sweet 16 and UCONN ???

That absolutely sucks. Just think if ISU could pull a tourney game in Omaha/St. Louis/Kansas City/Chicago. The NIT tourney is in no way better than the NCAA tournament but at least they do a better job of avoiding unfair homecourt advantages to a lower seed. The most important thing for UCONN was getting ISU and MSU at home in MSG - AS A LOWER, SEVEN SEED. If those two games are played in Kansas City and Auburn Hills, no way.

That means we need to be a one or two seed in Midwest next year. Is that Omaha?

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
This is apparently shocking to some of you but the higher seed in each pod get some semblance of home court advantage. Every excuse......errrr...i mean example you had we were the lower seed correct?
The NY site was for Villanova....not on the chance that UCONN pulled off upsets.

But by all means....think conspiracy, John Higgins, etc, etc.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
That means we need to be a one or two seed in Midwest next year. Is that Omaha?
Yes, Omaha.
Plus the Midwest regional is in Cleveland.
And then the Final 4 is in Indianapolis.
So, when we make the Final 4 next year, our fanbase will be there in droves for all the games.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Broken record, but no one should (purposely) get home court advantage in the NCAA tournament!

If for no other reason than the opportunity for such is not equal for all teams; team like ISU, Wyoming, Vermont, Hawaii, SDSU, Boise St, etc. have little chance of ever getting a near home game no matter if they are #1 seeds.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's interesting trivia, but I've never understood why this matters.

Five other teams lose in the tournament to national champion each year. Also, can other schools claim being bounced by the champion in multiple seasons? (I don't care to research that right now).

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This is apparently shocking to some of you but the higher seed in each pod get some semblance of home court advantage. Every excuse......errrr...i mean example you had we were the lower seed correct?
The NY site was for Villanova....not on the chance that UCONN pulled off upsets.

But by all means....think conspiracy, John Higgins, etc, etc.

Youre kidding yourself if you think UConn wasnt put there for a reason. Villanova was highly viewed as upsettable, and the NCAA guaranteed a big showing regardless of who won between the two by putting UConn in there.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Broken record, but no one should (purposely) get home court advantage in the NCAA tournament!

If for no other reason than the opportunity for such is not equal for all teams; team like ISU, Wyoming, Vermont, Hawaii, SDSU, Boise St, etc. have little chance of ever getting a near home game no matter if they are #1 seeds.

Why? That's part of the reward of being a high seed and having a great regular season. No one is going to be ******** if we are a 2 seed next year and get to play in Omaha.

This is really the only year that people have a reason to complain. As a 10 seed, you have to expect that you will be playing close to the home of the 2 seed. It's just how it works.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Youre kidding yourself if you think UConn wasnt put there for a reason. Villanova was highly viewed as upsettable, and the NCAA guaranteed a big showing regardless of who won between the two by putting UConn in there.

Soooo...the NCAA decided instead of giving UCONN an unwarranted high seed, they stick them with a 7 seed, and have them face Virginia (who was pretty good all year, won their conference) in hopes they upset them so they can play Iowa state in an arena UCONN used to play conference games in. Then have them face the hottest 2 teams in the tourney in MSU and Florida.....that's your conspiracy?

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Why? That's part of the reward of being a high seed and having a great regular season. No one is going to be ******** if we are a 2 seed next year and get to play in Omaha.

This is really the only year that people have a reason to complain. As a 10 seed, you have to expect that you will be playing close to the home of the 2 seed. It's just how it works.

Exactly. Baffling that this is even coming up.....has gone on for years and years.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
No one is saying there are intentional, nefarious actions against ISU, but just an unusual amount of bad luck. If you think it is not that unusual to lose to perhaps the eventual champion on a home-court situation in 4 out of your last 6 appearances (and relative home-courts in 5 out of the last 6) , provide some stats.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Soooo...the NCAA decided instead of giving UCONN an unwarranted high seed, they stick them with a 7 seed, and have them face Virginia (who was pretty good all year, won their conference) in hopes they upset them so they can play Iowa state in an arena UCONN used to play conference games in. Then have them face the hottest 2 teams in the tourney in MSU and Florida.....that's your conspiracy?

Good points — although you said Virginia (which UConn wouldn't have faced until Elite 8). I think you meant Villanova as the 2 seed ....

Overall, excellent point, that it's ludicrous to think a team was set up for an unlikely run by dropping its seeding just to gain favorable geographic placement.

I've heard many times that the committee doesn't worry about "what could happen" after first weekend to determine who is placed in sub-regions -- taking into account if upsets happen and a lower-seeded team gets regional advantage in Sweet 16.

I will say this: UConn having potential advantage in the East could have been easily avoided. The committee could have flipped the 7/10 of UConn-St. Joe's to the South, exchanging New Mexico/Stanford (and all other bracketing principles would follow protocol). (Even with that, UConn might have advanced past Kansas & beaten Florida in Elite 8).

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Good points — although you said Virginia (which UConn wouldn't have faced until Elite 8). I think you meant Villanova as the 2 seed ....

Overall, excellent point, that it's ludicrous to think a team was set up for an unlikely run by dropping its seeding just to gain favorable geographic placement.

I've heard many times that the committee doesn't worry about "what could happen" after first weekend to determine who is placed in sub-regions -- taking into account if upsets happen and a lower-seeded team gets regional advantage in Sweet 16.

I will say this: UConn having potential advantage in the East could have been easily avoided. The committee could have flipped the 7/10 of UConn-St. Joe's to the South, exchanging New Mexico/Stanford (and all other bracketing principles would follow protocol). (Even with that, UConn might have advanced past Kansas & beaten Florida in Elite 8).

Egads!! Gadzooks! You're right...my lord...Villanova