Mulkey's up to her usual antics.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
No striptease so far. She did come to ND dressed as a leprechaun, though.

Her daughter, other players , and coaches have had to her restrain her several times after calls against hem.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Uh, I think Mulkey has a reason to be upset, just as ESPN analyst Kara Lawson does...

Kara Lawson@karalawson20 9m Kim Mulkey was suspended 1st round for complaining about officiating last year. If BU loses, she could go for 2 in a row & I would agree.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Mulkey has had it with some of the calls against Odyssey Sims. As Kara Lawson put it...

Kara Lawson@karalawson20 35m If Odyssey Sims' 3rd foul was actually a foul, I would foul out of every game in the 1st 5 minutes.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
And Mechelle Voepel chimes in too:

Mechelle Voepel@MechelleV 8m There are times Kim Mulkey gripes about officiating and you just kind of say, "That's Kim." Tonight, you understand why she's upset.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
The refs did get a bit obsessed with offensive foul calls. It seemed like Baylor had one four possessions in a row. Then they switched and called it at the other end for two or three.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
During the four years with Grenier, Kim's teams got the benefit of the doubt every time until the Louisville game. Sorry but I don't feel one ounce of sadness. I hate Baylor wbb as much as I loathe Ku MBB.

Reactions: ISU71

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
That game was terrible - the 3rd foul on Sims was nothing more than an acting job by the ND player. They called an intentional on her that was a terrible call as well. It was a clear play on the ball and Stephanie White who was calling the game said the official screwed up. As much as I am not a fan of Baylor, Kim had every right to be upset with poor officiating.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It's always easy to see fouls or non fouls from a different vantage point. The 3rd wasn't a foul on Sims, but for Mulkey... Karma is a *****. Her antics during the game regardless the call were worthy of a T. I didn't feel bad at all.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
As others have pointed out this game was officiated as poorly as I have seen this year. Like others I am not a fan of Kim and her antics and she should have deserved the T for her reaction even though it was a bad call.
One thing that has bothered me this year when watching games on TV are the announcers who (1) want to be officials and make calls (it is always easier to see mistakes in the replays in slomotion) (2) who will say certain players on the top teams should not be called for a foul because they are needed to make the game good. I just want them to call the action and keep their personal love for these players to themselves. Looks like we are headed for what the NCAA wanted for the women a game against UCONN & ND.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I just couldn't believe how poorly that game was called. Perhaps Karma is a xxxxx for Baylor/Mulkey, but top seeds shouldn't be hosting regional finals, and it sure seemed like a lot of home cooking in that game.

Baylors posts cost that game more than the officials though, by not hitting their layups.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
The last two posts are spot on.
Bad/inconsistent officiating has been a problem all year. The elite teams often win by big margins and don't feel the effects like the rest of us. This time of year it just gets more prominent.
Baylor did not lose because of the officials.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
As others have pointed out this game was officiated as poorly as I have seen this year. Like others I am not a fan of Kim and her antics and she should have deserved the T for her reaction even though it was a bad call.
One thing that has bothered me this year when watching games on TV are the announcers who (1) want to be officials and make calls (it is always easier to see mistakes in the replays in slomotion) (2) who will say certain players on the top teams should not be called for a foul because they are needed to make the game good. I just want them to call the action and keep their personal love for these players to themselves. Looks like we are headed for what the NCAA wanted for the women a game against UCONN & ND.

Your #2 also drives me crazy. The 4th foul on Sims was a stupid foul for Sims to commit. They went on and on about how it was a play on the ball and should not have been called deliberate/flagrant. They totally missed the fact that Sims lost the ball and then fouled on a breakaway out of frustration when she is a senior that should be game savvy enough to know that would be #4 on her. Granted she almost never fouls out but if it were another player they would have been ripping her for making a stupid frustration foul that hurt her team by sending her to the bench.

The announcers got their wish later when #5 on Sims was reserved mid-call to a block. Really seemed like a ref going “Oh my, that would be 5 on Sims another charge. Oops, never mind, BLOCK!â€￾

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
top seeds shouldn't be hosting regional finals, and it sure seemed like a lot of home cooking in that game.

Agree top seeds want first /second rounds fine, but having top teams host a regional is rediculous. 3/4 the regionals feature the home team and all 3 will be in the final four.

Reactions: Angie

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
That was perhaps the worst called game I have seen all year. Many of the calls went against Baylor. Most players for both teams were in foul trouble. In contrast the Connecticut, Texas A&M game was pretty well called. I am not sure why. I don't feel bad for Kim Mulkey, but I did feel a little bad for the Baylor players and especially Odyssey Sims. I think Notre Dame would have won it handily anyway, and so I felt the refs were just making stupid calls. Really bad refs.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Seems like women's ball is all about being able to get to the Elite 8. There is so much disparity between the top 8 and the rest of college ball that getting beyond that takes really impressive recruiting (a la Baylor) or good karma. Only way to help that is cut scholarships but that is a Title IX no no.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron