Bad Marketing Ideas - What Are The Worst?

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
The Sprint commercials with the talking-hamster-dad drive me nuts. I have an off-beat sense of humor but those are so bad they're cringe-worthy. I don't think the any publicity is good publicity concept works here either because I had completely ignored who was actually behind the garbage until I had to watch it and pay attention to the sponsor so I could explain it to my husband.

For me, marketing can totally backfire. If your ad is annoying or you assume I'm an idiot I will go out of my way to avoid your product. Take for instance a Burger King - the creepy small-hands-guy and bizarre king costume still keep me from going there. Lately, anyone that sponsors the giant screen-hog banner on the DM Register site goes on my boycott list.

What commercials drive you nuts?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
FarmersOnly.com should be a case study on what not to do in marketing for every entry level course.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Coffee shop in my neighborhood proudly bragged about not providing wifi because they wanted it to be about the coffee and conversation. Lasted about six months with dozens of nearby pro-wifi competitors.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
DrakeD.jpg

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
FarmersOnly.com should be a case study on what not to do in marketing for every entry level course.

Yes!! I've been pretty unplugged from TV for a couple months due to family issues absorbing all my time. So I forgot about this one.

Maybe during my time away from TV I lost my typical desensitization to bulwarky.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
The Sprint commercials with the talking-hamster-dad drive me nuts. I have an off-beat sense of humor but those are so bad they're cringe-worthy. I don't think the any publicity is good publicity concept works here either because I had completely ignored who was actually behind the garbage until I had to watch it and pay attention to the sponsor so I could explain it to my husband.

For me, marketing can totally backfire. If your ad is annoying or you assume I'm an idiot I will go out of my way to avoid your product. Take for instance a Burger King - the creepy small-hands-guy and bizarre king costume still keep me from going there. Lately, anyone that sponsors the giant screen-hog banner on the DM Register site goes on my boycott list.

I didn't know we could have a boycott list separate from the official CF list...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Remember the KFC commercials where foghorn leghorn was selling the flesh of his species? Unsettling.

Now the new Taco Bell breakfast commercial with all the Ronald mcdonalds where they only say Taco Bell twice but say Ronald McDonald about fifty times? Makes me want a eggamuffin.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The original video was taken down, but the Texas A&M SEC welcome video.
Here's some bits and pieces of it.
[video=youtube;vQor5snp7KU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQor5snp7KU[/video]

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
In which the Longhorns responded with this epic video.
[video=youtube;LenfTCVGnvg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LenfTCVGnvg[/video]

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Can they really be classified as bad marketing ideas when you remember them and what the product is for?

While we may think they are stupid/annoying they get you talking about them which is therefore the point.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron