Monday Musings: The future is bright for Cyclone basketball

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I wouldn't be shocked if Lee still visited. But I'm not even sure if he's already said he's not visiting anywhere else or not.

I'm confused as to why he would schedule a visit here so quickly in his announcement, talk about all the love he's getting from Indiana fans, tweet about Iowa State, then commit to Ohio State.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
I wouldn't be shocked if Lee still visited. But I'm not even sure if he's already said he's not visiting anywhere else or not.

I'm confused as to why he would schedule a visit here so quickly in his announcement, talk about all the love he's getting from Indiana fans, tweet about Iowa State, then commit to Ohio State.

$$$ maybe? or Aaron Craft decided to confess his love to Lee.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Because he really liked OSU on his visit. Happens all the time.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think next year comes down to 2 things:

1) Matt Thomas and/or SDW's development. If either of those guys can develop into consistent long range threats, the sky is the limit for this team. With what we know Georges and Monte can create, Hogue's development offensively and what we hear about McKay and Nader, those guys (as well as Naz) are going to have all kinds of open looks from three. If they can consistently hit threes, the sky is the limit.

2) Adding depth at the guard spot. It's hard to count on lucking out and finding another Kane, but I would sure like to see us bring in another guard, ideally that could play right away. Next year, Monte is our only true PG (and that's based on not knowing quite what we are getting with Custer yet). Another guard would be fantastic.

Count me in the group that thinks we are better next year. While it's crazy to think we can easily replace the production of Kane and Ejim, I really think it can be done.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
People/players can be replaced, but chemistry of those players is a special thing. I hope we can replace that chemistry with these newcomers in the program. At least the tranfers thus far got to be part of the program to be indoctrinated. In Fred we trust.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
This is a huge next 7 months.
Add the right 5th year or juco transfers to the group we have returning and next year we could finish what was paused due to Niang's injury. Add a few of our top targets for the Class of 2015, and 2015-16 could be better yet.
What a 4 years under Hoiberg, and it is great knowing that the next for should be even better.

Last edited:

cyphan

Mar 24, 2006
People/players can be replaced, but chemistry of those players is a special thing. I hope we can replace that chemistry with these newcomers in the program. At least the tranfers thus far got to be part of the program to be indoctrinated. In Fred we trust.
Very true! Chemistry is so important. Hopefully our young freshmen learned a thing or two from our senior leadership to help carry that chemistry forward for years to come! Guys (and leaders) like Naz, Georges and Monte will hopefully teach and mentor the guys coming in. Buckle up! It should be a fun ride Cyclone Nation!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How many years will it take for cynics to recognize that Hoiberg puts together really good teams every year? When will he start getting credit for this in the pre-season voting?

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I'm pumped for next season already, almost to the point i could skip football season (i know that sounds like i'm the anti-******). Hoiberg has turned this into a basketball school in my mind..........ok CPR, FH has raised the bar, your turn.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

My guess is he had the OSU screws put to him on his visit. Commit immediately or move on.

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
I remember feeling devastated after last year's tournament loss to Ohio State and losing all of those seniors. I thought we'd be decent this year but fell into the "rebuilding year" line of thought. I couldn't have been more pleased with how this season progressed (other than the WVU loss and the Niang injury). I'm so excited for next season and I feel more optimistic about the state of this program than I have in the 25 years that I've been a fan. The future is bright, indeed.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
My guess is he had the OSU screws put to him on his visit. Commit immediately or move on.

My guess as well. And I don't have any problems with that. The reason it happened is because we were in the tourney and they weren't. It is what it is.

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
if we can pick up a JUCO PF and G I think we will be really good. I love Niang, but the guy needs to get some rest during games. If we can get him back-up that serve admirably in his place while he rests, I think that will be key.

Also, if Thomas and SDW can develop as one poster said into legitimate long range shooters, this team will be nasty. Teams will have to commit to the outside and not pack the paint to stop Niang, Hogue or McKay.

I'm thinking Hoiberg goes the JUCO route this summer more than the transfer route.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
if we can pick up a JUCO PF and G I think we will be really good. I love Niang, but the guy needs to get some rest during games. If we can get him back-up that serve admirably in his place while he rests, I think that will be key.

Also, if Thomas and SDW can develop as one poster said into legitimate long range shooters, this team will be nasty. Teams will have to commit to the outside and not pack the paint to stop Niang, Hogue or McKay.

I'm thinking Hoiberg goes the JUCO route this summer more than the transfer route.

Waiting....could have used one last game....three or four people have applied for that job...

My concern is also free throw shooting. We would be much more dangerous if we could hit free throws better.

We have room for improvement.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I loved Morris' comments in Petersen's article: Defense defense defense.

Baby Babb indeed! Since he's still playing for the Celtics, maybe Willoughby would drop by for some defense lessons?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

I'll take the other side of that bet. Really there aren't a lot of available Juco's that we have interest in at this stage from what I've read/seen.

I see us taking 2-3 (depending on if someone leaves) transfers. The only question will be who, what position and are they immediate or do they sit a year.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I loved Morris' comments in Petersen's article: Defense defense defense.

Baby Babb indeed! Since he's still playing for the Celtics, maybe Willoughby would drop by for some defense lessons?

Agreed. With Hogue and McKay, I think we could be pretty scrappy on D. Hopefully Nader can D up too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron